FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-11-2008, 12:32 AM
Ted Miller
 
Default Network FS w/o user setup

Is there a file system + configuration that will let me share a directory,
and anyone who has access to something in that directory on the server will
also have access (and lack of access) to the same files from the client?
Clients will be Centos5, Win2K, WinXP. Server is Centos5.


To put it another way, all users have accounts on the server. I don't want
to have to set up ANY user information on the server, other than what I set
up to control local access. I just want to say "Share /vmware" and have it
available, to the same users who can access it locally.


With Samba I have to maintain duplicate user lists, password lists, and
share access lists. I have not been able to find a clear instructions on
how NFS4 handles this, but what I found didn't seem any better than Samba.


I don't mind implementing ACLs on the server if it will do what I need, but
I can't find anything that says it will save me any work either.


Looking for a better way,
Ted Miller
Indiana, USA
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Johnny Hughes
 
Default Network FS w/o user setup

Ted Miller wrote:
Is there a file system + configuration that will let me share a
directory, and anyone who has access to something in that directory on
the server will also have access (and lack of access) to the same files
from the client? Clients will be Centos5, Win2K, WinXP. Server is Centos5.


To put it another way, all users have accounts on the server. I don't
want to have to set up ANY user information on the server, other than
what I set up to control local access. I just want to say "Share
/vmware" and have it available, to the same users who can access it
locally.


With Samba I have to maintain duplicate user lists, password lists, and
share access lists. I have not been able to find a clear instructions
on how NFS4 handles this, but what I found didn't seem any better than
Samba.


I don't mind implementing ACLs on the server if it will do what I need,
but I can't find anything that says it will save me any work either.


Well, since you want to set up shares ... and since you want to share
between Windows and Linux machines, and to share for windows you will
need to use samba.


Since you can also set up linux to use a samba client, that would
probably be the best method to "share these files" ... if you expect to
just oepn them via a file manager on all platforms.


You can also do NIS (and NFS) for linux and samba for Windows if you prefer.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-13-2008, 02:09 AM
Ted Miller
 
Default Network FS w/o user setup

Johnny Hughes wrote:

Ted Miller wrote:
Is there a file system + configuration that will let me share a
directory, and anyone who has access to something in that directory on
the server will also have access (and lack of access) to the same
files from the client? Clients will be Centos5, Win2K, WinXP. Server
is Centos5.


To put it another way, all users have accounts on the server. I don't
want to have to set up ANY user information on the server, other than
what I set up to control local access. I just want to say "Share
/vmware" and have it available, to the same users who can access it
locally.


With Samba I have to maintain duplicate user lists, password lists,
and share access lists. I have not been able to find a clear
instructions on how NFS4 handles this, but what I found didn't seem
any better than Samba.


I don't mind implementing ACLs on the server if it will do what I
need, but I can't find anything that says it will save me any work
either.


Well, since you want to set up shares ... and since you want to share
between Windows and Linux machines, and to share for windows you will
need to use samba.


Since you can also set up linux to use a samba client, that would
probably be the best method to "share these files" ... if you expect to
just oepn them via a file manager on all platforms.


Is there a way to set up samba so that it "just uses" ACL information for
permissions, instead of having to spell everything out for each share and
each user?


Ted Miller
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Johnny Hughes
 
Default Network FS w/o user setup

Ted Miller wrote:

Johnny Hughes wrote:

Ted Miller wrote:
Is there a file system + configuration that will let me share a
directory, and anyone who has access to something in that directory
on the server will also have access (and lack of access) to the same
files from the client? Clients will be Centos5, Win2K, WinXP. Server
is Centos5.


To put it another way, all users have accounts on the server. I
don't want to have to set up ANY user information on the server,
other than what I set up to control local access. I just want to say
"Share /vmware" and have it available, to the same users who can
access it locally.


With Samba I have to maintain duplicate user lists, password lists,
and share access lists. I have not been able to find a clear
instructions on how NFS4 handles this, but what I found didn't seem
any better than Samba.


I don't mind implementing ACLs on the server if it will do what I
need, but I can't find anything that says it will save me any work
either.


Well, since you want to set up shares ... and since you want to share
between Windows and Linux machines, and to share for windows you will
need to use samba.


Since you can also set up linux to use a samba client, that would
probably be the best method to "share these files" ... if you expect
to just oepn them via a file manager on all platforms.


Is there a way to set up samba so that it "just uses" ACL information
for permissions, instead of having to spell everything out for each
share and each user?


Well ... you would need to Join the "Samba Server" to your "Windows
Domain". If that domain is ADS (Active Directory Services) then it is a
different procedure than if it is a WinNT type Windows Domain.


Once the server is a member if the domain, the shares that are setup
will work for your Windows users.


You would then need to setup "Samba Authentication" for your Linux
Client machines.


The best method to do that depends on your business, who you have to
interface with, what services you are running on the network, etc.


I run a Samba PDC (using LDAP as a backend) with Samba BDC's in several
remote locations. If you do not require ADS network, then this can work
great as LDAP databases can be replicated from the PDC to the BDCs and
Linux machines can easily be setup to use LDAP for authentication.


However, if you need an ADS domain, then the LDAP method does not work
since Samba can not be a Domain Controller for ADS. That would require
you to be a Domain "Member Server" and enable samba authentication for
Linux clients.


The methods to do that are too hard to explain on list. Much research
needs to be done on samba.org docs (assuming you already understand the
whole Windows Domain concept and how it works on Windows). The way that
you will proceed is an infrastructure decision and based your individual
needs and infrastructure.


Thanks,
Johnny Hughes

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default Network FS w/o user setup

Johnny Hughes wrote:


You would then need to setup "Samba Authentication" for your Linux
Client machines.


The best method to do that depends on your business, who you have to
interface with, what services you are running on the network, etc.


I run a Samba PDC (using LDAP as a backend) with Samba BDC's in several
remote locations. If you do not require ADS network, then this can work
great as LDAP databases can be replicated from the PDC to the BDCs and
Linux machines can easily be setup to use LDAP for authentication.


However, if you need an ADS domain, then the LDAP method does not work
since Samba can not be a Domain Controller for ADS. That would require
you to be a Domain "Member Server" and enable samba authentication for
Linux clients.


I've been able to use SMB authentication against an AD just by filling
in the entries in system-config-authentication. I'm not sure if that
requires any compatibility settings on the AD side or not - it just
worked for me so I didn't ask questions. The down side is that you do
have to add the users and maintain groups on the linux side which isn't
too difficult if they don't change a lot, just

adduser -u uid -g gid login_name
with the same values on all the boxes and copy changes to /etc/group
around. The up side is that you can control which users have access
separately and only have to deal with passwords for users that aren't in
AD - and you don't have to ask permission to join the linux boxes to the
domain.


The methods to do that are too hard to explain on list. Much research
needs to be done on samba.org docs (assuming you already understand the
whole Windows Domain concept and how it works on Windows). The way that
you will proceed is an infrastructure decision and based your individual
needs and infrastructure.


Winbind can automatically create users from AD, but you have to join the
domain and I'm not sure what you have to do to coordinate the uid
mapping across machines so NFS shares work.


--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Ted Miller
 
Default Network FS w/o user setup

Johnny Hughes wrote:

Ted Miller wrote:

Johnny Hughes wrote:

Ted Miller wrote:
Is there a file system + configuration that will let me share a
directory, and anyone who has access to something in that directory
on the server will also have access (and lack of access) to the same
files from the client? Clients will be Centos5, Win2K, WinXP.
Server is Centos5.


To put it another way, all users have accounts on the server. I
don't want to have to set up ANY user information on the server,
other than what I set up to control local access. I just want to
say "Share /vmware" and have it available, to the same users who can
access it locally.


With Samba I have to maintain duplicate user lists, password lists,
and share access lists. I have not been able to find a clear
instructions on how NFS4 handles this, but what I found didn't seem
any better than Samba.


I don't mind implementing ACLs on the server if it will do what I
need, but I can't find anything that says it will save me any work
either.


Well, since you want to set up shares ... and since you want to share
between Windows and Linux machines, and to share for windows you will
need to use samba.


Since you can also set up linux to use a samba client, that would
probably be the best method to "share these files" ... if you expect
to just oepn them via a file manager on all platforms.


Is there a way to set up samba so that it "just uses" ACL information
for permissions, instead of having to spell everything out for each
share and each user?


Well ... you would need to Join the "Samba Server" to your "Windows
Domain". If that domain is ADS (Active Directory Services) then it is a
different procedure than if it is a WinNT type Windows Domain.


This is getting well outside the range of complexity that I am looking for.
If I add more detail, maybe something more suitable to my situation will
suggest itself to members of the list.


1. This is a very small network, only one primary file server (office2). A
second file server (RAIDer1) has only one shared directory, so is not
really an issue.


2. Users log in primarily from Linux boxes, but have to run virtual Windows
machines for some software, and also log in from Windows laptops.


3. office2 is set up with logins and home directories for all users, and
directories are permissioned such that users can run programs on office2
(if needed) and directory permissions work right.


4. Some users don't have physical machines, but only have virtual
machine(s) running on office2, which also need "network" access to office2
files.


Because all the users and permissions already exist on office2, I would
like those existing permissions to be reflected when the file system is
shared, just the same as when it is accessed locally. To restate: my
desire is that users, logins, and permissions be identical whether a user
is logged into office2 or whether that user is using a network file share
from another virtual or physical machine, running Linux or Windows. I
would think there would be a "market" for a network file system where
sharing a directory tree involved no more than assigning a network share
name to it. If (and only if) you had access to the file locally, you now
have access to it on the network. Very simple to administer, very simple
to understand--one set of permissions (kept locally) works everywhere.


From everything I have heard, a windows domain controller would be more
work than it is worth for this size of project, as I am looking for
something machine-scale, not enterprise scale.


I hope this more clearly expresses my desires, even if only so that
everyone can tell me to keep dreaming, because what I want doesn't
exist--or in the open source tradition, quit dreaming and start coding.
(Unfortunately I am still working on my first C++ lesson book.)


Sorry I neglected this (and all other) threads for a week or more, as I had
to learn how to do video editing to rescue an otherwise disastrously
unusable video project for my employer.


Ted Miller
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-22-2008, 12:41 AM
Les Mikesell
 
Default Network FS w/o user setup

Ted Miller wrote:

Johnny Hughes wrote:


Well ... you would need to Join the "Samba Server" to your "Windows
Domain". If that domain is ADS (Active Directory Services) then it is
a different procedure than if it is a WinNT type Windows Domain.


This is getting well outside the range of complexity that I am looking
for. If I add more detail, maybe something more suitable to my
situation will suggest itself to members of the list.


1. This is a very small network, only one primary file server (office2).
A second file server (RAIDer1) has only one shared directory, so is not
really an issue.


2. Users log in primarily from Linux boxes, but have to run virtual
Windows machines for some software, and also log in from Windows laptops.


Virtual windows machines should be no different in terms of network
connections, so you can ignore that distinction.


3. office2 is set up with logins and home directories for all users, and
directories are permissioned such that users can run programs on office2
(if needed) and directory permissions work right.


Is samba running there? If so, you are mostly done.

4. Some users don't have physical machines, but only have virtual
machine(s) running on office2, which also need "network" access to
office2 files.


Again, nothing different.

Because all the users and permissions already exist on office2, I would
like those existing permissions to be reflected when the file system is
shared, just the same as when it is accessed locally. To restate: my
desire is that users, logins, and permissions be identical whether a
user is logged into office2 or whether that user is using a network file
share from another virtual or physical machine, running Linux or
Windows. I would think there would be a "market" for a network file
system where sharing a directory tree involved no more than assigning a
network share name to it. If (and only if) you had access to the file
locally, you now have access to it on the network. Very simple to
administer, very simple to understand--one set of permissions (kept
locally) works everywhere.


This mostly "just works" if you deal with a few complications that on a
small scale can be worked around without too much trouble. The first
complication is that you need to maintain passwords separately for Linux
and Windows because they are stored with different encryption. If you
aren't already using samba, you need to 'smbpasswd -a username' for each
user and input the password (or go around and let them type it
themselves). After this, a windows user mapping a samba-shared
directory from your office2 machine will have the same access as the
same user logged in locally. There are the same issues with directories
that users share with group permissions, but samba offers some extra
options to force owner/group/permissions on newly created files that
will help. Windows/samba connections are treated as single users with
all access through that connection treated with the permissions of the
matching linux login. With samba in 'user' mode, the authentication is
done before you can even see the shares and even if you have multiple
shares mapped from the server they must all be as the same user. There
is also a 'share' mode where you authenticate separately per connection.


From everything I have heard, a windows domain controller would be more
work than it is worth for this size of project, as I am looking for
something machine-scale, not enterprise scale.


You might look at webmin, since it has an option to maintain unix and
samba passwords at the same time and it can also keep multiple machines
in sync. The other complication is that if you also want to share files
via NFS, the permissioning mechanism is entirely different. NFS just
looks at the uid/gid/modes like a local file, so you need to make the
password files consistent across all the Linux boxes. There is also the
issue that users who have root access to their own workstation can
pretend to be any user over NFS. For a single-user Linux workstation
scenario, it might make more sense to only provide samba shares and use
cifs mounts instead of NFS. NFS makes more sense between multiuser
unix/linux boxes where only the administrator(s) have root access.


I hope this more clearly expresses my desires, even if only so that
everyone can tell me to keep dreaming, because what I want doesn't
exist--or in the open source tradition, quit dreaming and start coding.
(Unfortunately I am still working on my first C++ lesson book.)


I don't think you need to code anything since there are already several
options with varying degrees of complexity. Centralizing
authentication will help if you have many users and password changes.
But that can be as simple as turning on domain controller emulation on
samba on your office2 server and configuring everything else (windows
and Linux) to use it. Or it can be as complicated as running a separate
Active Domain controller. I've always been surprised that Linux
distributions didn't come with a pre-configured LDAP server that
automatically worked for local users and samba and could server other
Linux boxes as you add them without starting over, but so far I don't
think any provide that.


Sorry I neglected this (and all other) threads for a week or more, as I
had to learn how to do video editing to rescue an otherwise disastrously
unusable video project for my employer.


If these remote users are doing anything but video editing, another
useful option might be to use remote X logins or freenx/NX for a remote
Linux desktop directly from your office2 machine instead of accessing
its files on their workstation. How well it works depends on what they
are doing and the relative CPU and video use compared to file access.


--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-22-2008, 01:48 AM
Ted Miller
 
Default Network FS w/o user setup

Thanks for the reply. I think we are making progress, see
comments/questions interspersed below.


Les Mikesell wrote:

Ted Miller wrote:

Johnny Hughes wrote:


Well ... you would need to Join the "Samba Server" to your "Windows
Domain". If that domain is ADS (Active Directory Services) then it
is a different procedure than if it is a WinNT type Windows Domain.


This is getting well outside the range of complexity that I am looking
for. If I add more detail, maybe something more suitable to my
situation will suggest itself to members of the list.


1. This is a very small network, only one primary file server
(office2). A second file server (RAIDer1) has only one shared
directory, so is not really an issue.


2. Users log in primarily from Linux boxes, but have to run virtual
Windows machines for some software, and also log in from Windows laptops.


Virtual windows machines should be no different in terms of network
connections, so you can ignore that distinction.


3. office2 is set up with logins and home directories for all users,
and directories are permissioned such that users can run programs on
office2 (if needed) and directory permissions work right.


Is samba running there? If so, you are mostly done.


Yes, at the moment I have Samba running, but apparently not properly
configured. I am also in the process of moving this machine from Centos 4
to Centos 5, and am trying to do it better this time. At the moment
office2 is dual boot, still defaulting to C4.


Because all the users and permissions already exist on office2, I
would like those existing permissions to be reflected when the file
system is shared, just the same as when it is accessed locally. To
restate: my desire is that users, logins, and permissions be identical
whether a user is logged into office2 or whether that user is using a
network file share from another virtual or physical machine, running
Linux or Windows. I would think there would be a "market" for a
network file system where sharing a directory tree involved no more
than assigning a network share name to it. If (and only if) you had
access to the file locally, you now have access to it on the network.
Very simple to administer, very simple to understand--one set of
permissions (kept locally) works everywhere.


This mostly "just works" if you deal with a few complications that on a
small scale can be worked around without too much trouble. The first
complication is that you need to maintain passwords separately for Linux
and Windows because they are stored with different encryption. If you
aren't already using samba, you need to 'smbpasswd -a username' for each
user and input the password (or go around and let them type it
themselves).


Done at this point.

After this, a windows user mapping a samba-shared
directory from your office2 machine will have the same access as the
same user logged in locally. There are the same issues with directories
that users share with group permissions, but samba offers some extra
options to force owner/group/permissions on newly created files that
will help.


That is something I need to fix, because I do have some issues with group
accessed files, where certain operations require me to log in as root and
run a script that cleans up the file ownership, otherwise some users can no
longer access the files. Any pointers on where to find documentation on this?


Windows/samba connections are treated as single users with
all access through that connection treated with the permissions of the
matching linux login. With samba in 'user' mode, the authentication is
done before you can even see the shares and even if you have multiple
shares mapped from the server they must all be as the same user. There
is also a 'share' mode where you authenticate separately per connection.


I have been using 'share' mode, but a little reading makes it sound like I
should switch to 'user' mode to make my life easier. I have been adding
various user permission lines to each share. Will they keep working if I
just comment out those lines?


From everything I have heard, a windows domain controller would be
more work than it is worth for this size of project, as I am looking
for something machine-scale, not enterprise scale.


You might look at webmin, since it has an option to maintain unix and
samba passwords at the same time and it can also keep multiple machines
in sync.


Does anyone maintain webmin for Centos? I have most of the common repos
hooked to yum, but webmin draws a blank.


The other complication is that if you also want to share files
via NFS, the permissioning mechanism is entirely different. NFS just
looks at the uid/gid/modes like a local file, so you need to make the
password files consistent across all the Linux boxes.


Does NFS work with windows? I have wasted considerable time on Google
trying to answer that question, and the only answer I find is that there
are commercial products that (for a per-seat fee) will connect windows to
NFS. I read that NFS v.4 was supposed to "play better" with windows, but I
could not find any official comment, or windows drivers, or even any
recommendations of client only drivers.


There is also the
issue that users who have root access to their own workstation can
pretend to be any user over NFS.


Not an issue in this situation, users do not have root access.

For a single-user Linux workstation
scenario, it might make more sense to only provide samba shares and use
cifs mounts instead of NFS. NFS makes more sense between multiuser
unix/linux boxes where only the administrator(s) have root access.


That is what I did under C4, but with considerable frustration, but maybe a
simplified version of what I had (minus per-share permission listing in
smb.conf) would get me most of what I want.


I hope this more clearly expresses my desires, even if only so that
everyone can tell me to keep dreaming, because what I want doesn't
exist--or in the open source tradition, quit dreaming and start
coding. (Unfortunately I am still working on my first C++ lesson book.)


I don't think you need to code anything since there are already several
options with varying degrees of complexity. Centralizing
authentication will help if you have many users and password changes.
But that can be as simple as turning on domain controller emulation on
samba on your office2 server and configuring everything else (windows
and Linux) to use it.


Any pointers to where I could learn the implications/pluses/minuses of
that? It might be useful with my multiple machines (real and virtual) per
user.


Or it can be as complicated as running a separate
Active Domain controller. I've always been surprised that Linux
distributions didn't come with a pre-configured LDAP server that
automatically worked for local users and samba and could server other
Linux boxes as you add them without starting over, but so far I don't
think any provide that.


Sounds like a great idea for a CentosPlus .rpm.

Sorry I neglected this (and all other) threads for a week or more, as
I had to learn how to do video editing to rescue an otherwise
disastrously unusable video project for my employer.


If these remote users are doing anything but video editing, another
useful option might be to use remote X logins or freenx/NX for a remote
Linux desktop directly from your office2 machine instead of accessing
its files on their workstation. How well it works depends on what they
are doing and the relative CPU and video use compared to file access.


Video editing is getting done on a windows-native-boot laptop. Video
editing seems to be something that open source doesn't do very well.

Ted Miller
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-22-2008, 03:54 AM
Les Mikesell
 
Default Network FS w/o user setup

Ted Miller wrote:



Is samba running there? If so, you are mostly done.


Yes, at the moment I have Samba running, but apparently not properly
configured. I am also in the process of moving this machine from Centos
4 to Centos 5, and am trying to do it better this time. At the moment
office2 is dual boot, still defaulting to C4.


I don't think there should be a big difference samba-wise.

If you aren't already using samba, you need to 'smbpasswd
-a username' for each user and input the password (or go around and
let them type it themselves).


Done at this point.

After this, a windows user mapping a samba-shared directory from your
office2 machine will have the same access as the same user logged in
locally. There are the same issues with directories that users share
with group permissions, but samba offers some extra options to force
owner/group/permissions on newly created files that will help.


That is something I need to fix, because I do have some issues with
group accessed files, where certain operations require me to log in as
root and run a script that cleans up the file ownership, otherwise some
users can no longer access the files. Any pointers on where to find
documentation on this?


Newly created files default to having the group ownership of the primary
group of the user creating it, and the RH scheme is to give every user
his own group. You can do something like this in the samba share
configuration:

valid users = @groupname
force group = groupname
force create mode = 0775
force directory mode = 0775

This will make new files have the right group and r/w (and executable,
which you might not want). If files are also created on the Linux side
you need to 'chmod g+s' on the directory to make new files take the
group of the directory.


You can find samba docs here:
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/


I have been using 'share' mode, but a little reading makes it sound like
I should switch to 'user' mode to make my life easier. I have been
adding various user permission lines to each share. Will they keep
working if I just comment out those lines?


Share vs. user doesn't make a difference in how things work after the
connection is established - it controls when authentication happens.
Share mode just lets you browse the share list before authenticating and
you can connect to different shares with different credentials.


You might look at webmin, since it has an option to maintain unix and
samba passwords at the same time and it can also keep multiple
machines in sync.


Does anyone maintain webmin for Centos? I have most of the common repos
hooked to yum, but webmin draws a blank.


This is one of the reasons I usually install k12ltsp instead of the
stock centos distribution (you don't lose anything, it just adds some
extras and makes the updates yummable). You probably can grab the RPM
directly from the webmin site.


The other complication is that if you also want to share files via
NFS, the permissioning mechanism is entirely different. NFS just
looks at the uid/gid/modes like a local file, so you need to make the
password files consistent across all the Linux boxes.


Does NFS work with windows? I have wasted considerable time on Google
trying to answer that question, and the only answer I find is that there
are commercial products that (for a per-seat fee) will connect windows
to NFS.


On windows you would use 'services for unix'. But I'd stick to samba.


> I read that NFS v.4 was supposed to "play better" with windows,
but I could not find any official comment, or windows drivers, or even
any recommendations of client only drivers.


Don't know about that.

There is also the issue that users who have root access to their own
workstation can pretend to be any user over NFS.


Not an issue in this situation, users do not have root access.


Do they have the same uid/gid, and group lists on their workstations as
on the file server?


For a single-user Linux workstation scenario, it might make more sense
to only provide samba shares and use cifs mounts instead of NFS. NFS
makes more sense between multiuser unix/linux boxes where only the
administrator(s) have root access.


That is what I did under C4, but with considerable frustration, but
maybe a simplified version of what I had (minus per-share permission
listing in smb.conf) would get me most of what I want.


If it is one user per workstation, treating it just like the windows
connections with samba should work.


I don't think you need to code anything since there are already
several options with varying degrees of complexity. Centralizing
authentication will help if you have many users and password changes.
But that can be as simple as turning on domain controller emulation on
samba on your office2 server and configuring everything else (windows
and Linux) to use it.


Any pointers to where I could learn the implications/pluses/minuses of
that? It might be useful with my multiple machines (real and virtual)
per user.


Samba authentication for linux just checks that a login/password match.
You still have to create the users and if you use NFS, make sure the
uid/gid's are all the same. For windows it works like a domain
controller and once you've logged in as a windows user, you
automatically authenticate to the samba shares as the same user and the
server can force login scripts to run on the client.


If these remote users are doing anything but video editing, another
useful option might be to use remote X logins or freenx/NX for a
remote Linux desktop directly from your office2 machine instead of
accessing its files on their workstation. How well it works depends
on what they are doing and the relative CPU and video use compared to
file access.


Video editing is getting done on a windows-native-boot laptop. Video
editing seems to be something that open source doesn't do very well.


I use a mac for the little I do, but I thought that
http://cvs.cinelerra.org/docs.php and http://lives.sourceforge.net were
supposed to be getting better.


--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-24-2008, 01:16 AM
Ted Miller
 
Default Network FS w/o user setup

Les Mikesell wrote:

Ted Miller wrote:


After this, a windows user mapping a samba-shared directory from your
office2 machine will have the same access as the same user logged in
locally. There are the same issues with directories that users share
with group permissions, but samba offers some extra options to force
owner/group/permissions on newly created files that will help.


That is something I need to fix, because I do have some issues with
group accessed files, where certain operations require me to log in as
root and run a script that cleans up the file ownership, otherwise
some users can no longer access the files. Any pointers on where to
find documentation on this?


Newly created files default to having the group ownership of the primary
group of the user creating it, and the RH scheme is to give every user
his own group. You can do something like this in the samba share
configuration:

valid users = @groupname
force group = groupname
force create mode = 0775
force directory mode = 0775


How about if I just change the primary user group to being the user group
that I want their files' group ownership set to? Would that "just take
care of it" on the group side? Then I could just set the "force create
mode" and "force directory mode".


You can find samba docs here:
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/


I have been using 'share' mode, but a little reading makes it sound
like I should switch to 'user' mode to make my life easier. I have
been adding various user permission lines to each share. Will they
keep working if I just comment out those lines?


Share vs. user doesn't make a difference in how things work after the
connection is established - it controls when authentication happens.
Share mode just lets you browse the share list before authenticating and
you can connect to different shares with different credentials.


You might look at webmin, since it has an option to maintain unix and
samba passwords at the same time and it can also keep multiple
machines in sync.


Does anyone maintain webmin for Centos? I have most of the common
repos hooked to yum, but webmin draws a blank.


This is one of the reasons I usually install k12ltsp instead of the
stock centos distribution (you don't lose anything, it just adds some
extras and makes the updates yummable). You probably can grab the RPM
directly from the webmin site.


Can I just add a k12ltsp repo and use their webmin?

There is also the issue that users who have root access to their own
workstation can pretend to be any user over NFS.


Not an issue in this situation, users do not have root access.


Do they have the same uid/gid, and group lists on their workstations as
on the file server?


yes, got that straight a while back.

Centralizing
authentication will help if you have many users and password changes.
But that can be as simple as turning on domain controller emulation
on samba on your office2 server and configuring everything else
(windows and Linux) to use it.


Any pointers to where I could learn the implications/pluses/minuses of
that? It might be useful with my multiple machines (real and virtual)
per user.


Samba authentication for linux just checks that a login/password match.
You still have to create the users and if you use NFS, make sure the
uid/gid's are all the same. For windows it works like a domain
controller and once you've logged in as a windows user, you
automatically authenticate to the samba shares as the same user and the
server can force login scripts to run on the client.


I looked at the How-To for domain control, and it looks interesting. I'll
have to dig into that further.


Ted Miller

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:55 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org