Old 06-10-2008, 07:45 PM
MHR

Default Newer GNOME than base release

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Dan Halbert <halbert@everyzing.com> wrote:

> I am not sure you can have your cake and eat it too on a single machine.
> At the very least, building a newer Gnome for CentOS 5 sounds like a big
> timesink. There are probably all kinds of library issues.
>
> If you'd like the latest desktop apps, then perhaps it would be easier
> to choose Fedora or Ubuntu for your desktop, and connect to your more
> stable CentOS 5 servers remotely. Or, run Fedora or Ubuntu in a VM.

Actually, the question grew out of a much more basic one, which I
asked on the GNOME list and was told, why don't you build it yourself?
(I now have many answers for that one!)

What I was originally looking for was the location of the gnome config
file where I could manipulate the default colors in my windows (I
really don't like gray). I poked and googled around some, but there
are SO many gnome files I was unable to locate the one that contains
this config....

Thanks.

mhr

Old 06-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Mhr wrote on Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:48:05 -0700:

> I have trouble believing that the ONLY ways to get a newer GNOME are
> to wait for CentOS 6, run a different distro (not likely) or build it
> myself. This is Linux, after all, isn't it?

If you do not need CentOS for the reasons that most here use it then why
don't you use Fedora if that gives you what you want? No one will be angry
about you ;-)

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 06-10-2008, 10:24 PM
MHR

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 1:31 PM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists@conactive.com> wrote:

> If you do not need CentOS for the reasons that most here use it then why
> don't you use Fedora if that gives you what you want? No one will be angry
> about you ;-)

Heh, heh, as in, don't let the door hit you on the way out? :-}

<raspberry>

Yeah, I could jump ship, but I prefer the stability of a proven base,
which is why I use CentOS wherever I can, and we're moving in that
direction, corporately speaking, anyway. Besides, I just couldn't
leave this community - where would you folks get all the laughs from
then? :-)

"It was just a whim."

Thanks.

mhr

Old 06-10-2008, 11:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Mhr wrote on Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:24:07 -0700:

> Heh, heh, as in, don't let the door hit you on the way out? :-}

No, I meant it in a friendly way.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 06-10-2008, 11:36 PM
Johnny Hughes

MHR wrote:

If you do not need CentOS for the reasons that most here use it then why
don't you use Fedora if that gives you what you want? No one will be angry
about you ;-)

Heh, heh, as in, don't let the door hit you on the way out? :-}

<raspberry>

Yeah, I could jump ship, but I prefer the stability of a proven base,
which is why I use CentOS wherever I can, and we're moving in that
direction, corporately speaking, anyway. Besides, I just couldn't
leave this community - where would you folks get all the laughs from
then? :-)

actually ... it is POSSIBLE to use garnome to build a parallel version
of Gnome for CentOS.

It is not easy, and CERTAINLY not supported, but if you google for:

garnome centos

you will find some people who have done it

Old 06-10-2008, 11:37 PM
MHR

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists@conactive.com> wrote:
> Mhr wrote on Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:24:07 -0700:
>
>> Heh, heh, as in, don't let the door hit you on the way out? :-}
>
> No, I meant it in a friendly way.

I thought so, but I just couldn't resist....

;*)

mhr

Old 06-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Johnny Hughes

Johnny Hughes wrote:

MHR wrote:
[...]

also, there is these guys:

http://www.alcance-empresarial.com/al/el/5/RPMS.al/

Old 06-10-2008, 11:50 PM
MHR

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 4:44 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:

> also, there is these guys:
>
> http://www.alcance-empresarial.com/al/el/5/RPMS.al/

All i386 rpms, but it was worth the look - thanks.

mhr