Old 06-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Scott Silva

Default eMachine model T5254

on 6-10-2008 12:07 PM Bob Taylor spake the following:

Hi list,

Best Buy currently has an eMachine on sale for less than $300.00
without monitor. I didn't see any recent complaints on
www.consumeraffairs.com. I didn't take the time to do a thourgh search
so may have missed some. Red Hat hardware list does not have one
eMachine listed. I went to eMachine's home page and found the following:

AMD Athlon™ BE-2350 dual-core processor
NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100
2048MB DDR2 dual-channel
320GB 7200rpm SATA II
16x DVD±R/RW SuperMulti drive
High-performance 15-in-1 digital media card reader
6-channel (5.1) high-definition audio

They do not list the manufacturer/model of the media card reader and
audio.

Any hardware guru see any problems?

Looking at my bestbuy ad, that machine is going for about $400 here. Probably
a good deal at less than $300.
If this is the machine, eMachines T5254 Desktop Computer, this page will give
you some specs;

http://support.gateway.com/emachines/emac/1015304R/1015304Rcl3.shtml

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 06-10-2008, 07:41 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On 6/10/08, Bob Taylor <bob8221@gmail.com> wrote:
> Best Buy currently has an eMachine on sale for less than $300.00
> without monitor. I didn't see any recent complaints on
> www.consumeraffairs.com. I didn't take the time to do a thourgh search
> so may have missed some. Red Hat hardware list does not have one
> eMachine listed. I went to eMachine's home page and found the following:
>
> AMD Athlon™ BE-2350 dual-core processor
> NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) 6100
> 2048MB DDR2 dual-channel
> 320GB 7200rpm SATA II
> 16x DVD±R/RW SuperMulti drive
> High-performance 15-in-1 digital media card reader
> 6-channel (5.1) high-definition audio
>
> They do not list the manufacturer/model of the media card reader and
> audio.
>
> Any hardware guru see any problems?

HW guru I am not. Linux guru I am not. I have a suggestion for you,
which I believe is a valid one: Take a Knoppix Live CD (that you've
previously tested on another box and know is working properly) or a
CentOS Live CD, with you to the store. Boot the box with it and see if
the HW works with Linux, before you buy. Preferably, do this on *the*
box you are going to buy, in case the HW in the floor sample and the
one you are going to buy are not identical. Sounds very cheap and I'd
like to have one too. Does Best Buy let one bring something back, for
a refund, within a certain number of days, if they are not satisfied
with the product?

Old 06-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Bob Taylor wrote on Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:07:59 -0700:

> Any hardware guru see any problems?

I'm not a hardware guru, but the CPU and chipset work just fine with
CentOS. lm_sensors may not work, though. If they have a 4850 machine for
only a few bucks more, I'd go with that.

Kai

--
Kai Schtzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 06-11-2008, 12:38 AM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 12:07 -0700, Bob Taylor wrote:
> AMD Athlon™ BE-2350 dual-core processor
> NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100
> 2048MB DDR2 dual-channel
> 320GB 7200rpm SATA II
> 16x DVD±R/RW SuperMulti drive
> High-performance 15-in-1 digital media card reader
> 6-channel (5.1) high-definition audio
>
> They do not list the manufacturer/model of the media card reader and
> audio.

Non-laptop media readers are usually USB which means that they use the
standard usb-storage module.

"High-definition audio" usually refers to the snd-hda-intel ALSA module.
I haven't yet had any luck getting the one on my laptop to work with
CentOS 5.1, but that's not a definitive contraindication.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Bob Taylor

On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 14:41 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On 6/10/08, Bob Taylor <bob8221@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Best Buy currently has an eMachine on sale for less than $300.00
> > without monitor. I didn't see any recent complaints on

[snip]

> HW guru I am not. Linux guru I am not. I have a suggestion for you,
> which I believe is a valid one: Take a Knoppix Live CD (that you've
> previously tested on another box and know is working properly) or a
> CentOS Live CD, with you to the store. Boot the box with it and see if
> the HW works with Linux, before you buy. Preferably, do this on *the*
> box you are going to buy, in case the HW in the floor sample and the
> one you are going to buy are not identical.

Sheesh! Gotta get my brain working properly! I should have thought of
that. Still thinking I have a dial up Internet connection.

> Sounds very cheap and I'd
> like to have one too. Does Best Buy let one bring something back, for
> a refund, within a certain number of days, if they are not satisfied
> with the product?

Dunno. I would presume yes.

--
Bob Taylor