Old 06-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Sam Drinkard

Default Excluded files from repos?

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

Sam Drinkard wrote:

Ok.. I'm way behind the 8-ball on setting things up correctly, but after
going over the protection things in yum, I ran a yum check-update and it
returned with having 318 files excluded because of protection. Is that
too high a number? I have the numerical protection set to 1. Is there
a good tutorial about how to correctly set up the protect base.

I'd go with the priorities plugin.

Everything about Repositories, Protectbase, Priorities and more at:

<http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/>

Cheers,

Ralph

Just to be on the safe side, I installed both plugins and have them
configured now. FWIW, I did a yum check-update and for some unknown
reason, I got no dependency issues and nothing was tagged for update!
Surely the addition of the protectbase and priorities plugins didn't do
that???

I appreciate all you all have responded, and apologize for the lame
questions. Time for me to do some more list reading I suppose.

Sam

Old 06-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Scott Silva

on 6-10-2008 12:35 PM Sam Drinkard spake the following:

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

Sam Drinkard wrote:

[...]

It could have, and please don't call me Shirley! ;-P
(I know, old joke!)

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 06-10-2008, 09:02 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On 6/10/08, Sam Drinkard <sam@wa4phy.net> wrote:

> Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>> Sam Drinkard wrote:
>>
>>> Ok.. I'm way behind the 8-ball on setting things up correctly, but after
>>> going over the protection things in yum, I ran a yum check-update and it
>>> returned with having 318 files excluded because of protection. Is that
>>> too high a number? I have the numerical protection set to 1. Is there
>>> a good tutorial about how to correctly set up the protect base.
>>>

>> I'd go with the priorities plugin.
>>
>> Everything about Repositories, Protectbase, Priorities and more at:
>>
>> <http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/>
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Ralph
>>

> Just to be on the safe side, I installed both plugins and have them
> configured now. FWIW, I did a yum check-update and for some unknown
> reason, I got no dependency issues and nothing was tagged for update!
> Surely the addition of the protectbase and priorities plugins didn't do
> that???
>
> I appreciate all you all have responded, and apologize for the lame
> questions. Time for me to do some more list reading I suppose.

Sam: Having both plugins installed is probably *not* a good thing to
do. As was previously suggested, probably best to go with Priorities.
Read this page:
<http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities>
I think the number of Packages being excluded (318) is in the ballpark.
73, Lanny

Old 06-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Sam Drinkard

Lanny Marcus wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the tip Lanny. Just set it up and will let it fly with
priorities only.

Sam

Old 06-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Ray Leventhal

I think the number of Packages being excluded (318) is in the ballpark.
73, Lanny

OT, but wow, Lanny. I haven't seen Phillips code in years Thanks
for the nostalgia!

73/30
-R

Old 06-11-2008, 04:01 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On 6/11/08, Ray Leventhal <centos@swhi.net> wrote:
>> I think the number of Packages being excluded (318) is in the ballpark.
>> 73, Lanny
>>
> OT, but wow, Lanny. I haven't seen Phillips code in years Thanks
> for the nostalgia!
>
> 73/30
> -R
Ray: I noticed from his email address that he's an amateur radio
operator (Ham).
73 = "Best Regards" for Ham Radio Operators. I learned the Morse Code
when I was 11 years old and I can still use it. Lanny