Old 06-10-2008, 06:48 PM
MHR

Default Newer GNOME than base release

I have asked about this before, but I don't have a workable answer yet.

I would like to know if there is a way to install a more recent GNOME
package on CentOS 5.x than 2.16.0.

1) GNOME Bugzilla does not support this version any more - all bugs go
into the bit bucket.

2) Having been exposed to Fedora 8 at work and seeing how much more
flexible GNOME 2.22 is, I would REALLY like to take a shot at using it
on my CentOS systems.

3) I asked about this on the GNOME list and I was told I should build
it, and that jhbuild or garnome would do the job for me. This has not
been my experience - both of them have major hangups building on my
home desktop (the 64-bit hybrid CentOS 5.1 environment).

4) Johnny suggested I try mock to build in a chroot, pure 64-bit
environment. I was unable to locate a mock that actually installed
and worked on my system. (Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm the only person for
whom this does not work. Heard it, can't believe it, must be doing
something most others don't, whatever.... ;*)

I have trouble believing that the ONLY ways to get a newer GNOME are
to wait for CentOS 6, run a different distro (not likely) or build it
myself. This is Linux, after all, isn't it? (That's a rhetorical
question - no answer required, unless those /really are/ the only
options....)

TIA.

mhr

Old 06-10-2008, 07:12 PM
"nate"

MHR wrote:

> I have trouble believing that the ONLY ways to get a newer GNOME are
> to wait for CentOS 6, run a different distro (not likely) or build it
> myself. This is Linux, after all, isn't it? (That's a rhetorical
> question - no answer required, unless those /really are/ the only
> options....)

What would you expect? CentOS is based off of RHEL, which tries to
stick to older more stable/tested software. Your using the wrong
distribution if you want the latest and greatest.

Use Ubuntu, Fedora, or something else.

As a casual user I'm happy with the gnome that comes with my Debian
Etch install which seems to be somewhere around 2.14-2.16, and whatever
version comes with Ubuntu 7.10(haven't turned that laptop on in a couple
of months).

Really, what did you expect? Do you expect folks out there to constantly
build the latest & greatest for a "stable" distribution that consists
primarily of users that don't want the latest & greatest (which is why
they use that distribution in the first place).

nate

Old 06-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Dan Halbert

MHR wrote:

I have trouble believing that the ONLY ways to get a newer GNOME are
to wait for CentOS 6, run a different distro (not likely) or build it
myself. This is Linux, after all, isn't it? (That's a rhetorical
question - no answer required, unless those /really are/ the only
options....)

I am not sure you can have your cake and eat it too on a single machine.
At the very least, building a newer Gnome for CentOS 5 sounds like a big
timesink. There are probably all kinds of library issues.

If you'd like the latest desktop apps, then perhaps it would be easier
to choose Fedora or Ubuntu for your desktop, and connect to your more
stable CentOS 5 servers remotely. Or, run Fedora or Ubuntu in a VM.

Dan

Old 06-10-2008, 07:24 PM
MHR

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 12:12 PM, nate <centos@linuxpowered.net> wrote:

> What would you expect? CentOS is based off of RHEL, which tries to
> stick to older more stable/tested software. Your using the wrong
> distribution if you want the latest and greatest.
>
> Use Ubuntu, Fedora, or something else.
>
> As a casual user I'm happy with the gnome that comes with my Debian
> Etch install which seems to be somewhere around 2.14-2.16, and whatever
> version comes with Ubuntu 7.10(haven't turned that laptop on in a couple
> of months).
>
> Really, what did you expect? Do you expect folks out there to constantly
> build the latest & greatest for a "stable" distribution that consists
> primarily of users that don't want the latest & greatest (which is why
> they use that distribution in the first place).

Dunno - a good answer, like yours?

Thanks (seriously).

mhr