-   -   Dependencies Anaconda (buildinstall) (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/103798-dependencies-anaconda-buildinstall.html)

"Leslie Herps || Novacle B.V." 06-10-2008 07:44 AM

Dependencies Anaconda (buildinstall)

Hi guys,

Just a quick question regarding the buildinstall process of anaconda.
It needs some dependencies, which should be placed in the Packages
directory.

However, what I want to do is strip a Fedora9 distro to it's bare core,
without all kinds of junk (also for size, I want to fit it on a CD, not
DVD). But the anaconda dependencies make that very hard for me, as lots of
packages contain graphical stuff that are quite a few MB.

Now, I will ONLY be using a kickstarted text installer, no graphical mode.
Now, how would I go about building a distro, without the build-dependencies
in the Packages/ directory. Is it possible to put them elsewhere, and then
point to that directory: "look here for your dependencies"..?

Thanks.
Leslie

Joel Andres Granados 06-10-2008 07:46 AM

Leslie Herps || Novacle B.V. wrote:

Hi guys,

Just a quick question regarding the buildinstall process of anaconda.
It needs some dependencies, which should be placed in the Packages
directory.

However, what I want to do is strip a Fedora9 distro to it's bare core,

I'm pretty sure you can do this with revisor or pungi. And not have to work directly with the buildinstall script.

without all kinds of junk (also for size, I want to fit it on a CD, not
DVD). But the anaconda dependencies make that very hard for me, as lots of
packages contain graphical stuff that are quite a few MB.

Now, I will ONLY be using a kickstarted text installer, no graphical mode.
Now, how would I go about building a distro, without the build-dependencies
in the Packages/ directory. Is it possible to put them elsewhere, and then
point to that directory: "look here for your dependencies"..?

Thanks.
Leslie

Joel Andres Granados
Red Hat / Brno, Czech Republic

"Leslie Herps || Novacle B.V." 06-10-2008 10:58 AM

Dependencies Anaconda (buildinstall)

> I'm pretty sure you can do this with revisor or pungi. And not have to
> work directly with the buildinstall script.

Actually.. I do. I am building a completely 'new' one, with a mix of base
Fedora9, and other stuff...

So my question still stands...

Joel Andres Granados 06-10-2008 11:45 AM

Dependencies Anaconda (buildinstall)

Leslie Herps || Novacle B.V. wrote:
I'm pretty sure you can do this with revisor or pungi. And not have to
work directly with the buildinstall script.

Actually.. I do. I am building a completely 'new' one, with a mix of base
Fedora9, and other stuff...

Ok, I kinda missed something. What I understood was that you were building was building a minimalistic fedora distro. This is possible with the pungi and revisor tools. But now I don't know what you refer to with "one" in "'new' one".

So my question still stands...

Joel Andres Granados
Red Hat / Brno, Czech Republic

Alexander Todorov 06-10-2008 11:52 AM

Dependencies Anaconda (buildinstall)

Jesse Keating 06-10-2008 02:07 PM

On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 09:44 +0200, Leslie Herps || Novacle B.V. wrote:

> Now, I will ONLY be using a kickstarted text installer, no graphical mode.
> Now, how would I go about building a distro, without the build-dependencies
> in the Packages/ directory. Is it possible to put them elsewhere, and then
> point to that directory: "look here for your dependencies"..?

I'm not sure if it made it to F9's anaconda version, but in rawhide
buildinstall can take multiple repos as arguments when you execute it.
Instead of just pointing to the path where the packages are downloaded,
you can also pass in other URIs to yum repos where more packages may be.
This will actually allow anaconda to use other packages not in your
compose set for the sake of building up the installer images, and you
can avoid having anaconda itself in the actual payload of your compose.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedomē is a feature!

"Leslie Herps || Novacle B.V." 06-10-2008 08:50 PM

Dependencies Anaconda (buildinstall)

> Did I understand correctly:
> How can we build an installer that can support only text mode
> without GUI and VNC? was that the original question?

Correct. And by leaving this out, I want to save space, since I don't need
all those deps.

John Summerfield 06-11-2008 02:20 AM

Dependencies Anaconda (buildinstall)

Leslie Herps || Novacle B.V. wrote:

Hi guys,

Just a quick question regarding the buildinstall process of anaconda.
It needs some dependencies, which should be placed in the Packages
directory.

However, what I want to do is strip a Fedora9 distro to it's bare core,
without all kinds of junk (also for size, I want to fit it on a CD, not
DVD). But the anaconda dependencies make that very hard for me, as lots of
packages contain graphical stuff that are quite a few MB.

Now, I will ONLY be using a kickstarted text installer, no graphical mode.
Now, how would I go about building a distro, without the build-dependencies
in the Packages/ directory. Is it possible to put them elsewhere, and then
point to that directory: "look here for your dependencies"..?

You can find what _files_ are required, by installing by http off a
local server and perusing the logs. The will also be helpful in ordering
the files in the ISO image.

It doesn't help prune the installer image; I'd not worry about that
unless size becomes a problem when you've deleted bad junk and added
good junk.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Jeroen van Meeuwen 06-12-2008 10:25 AM

Dependencies Anaconda (buildinstall)

Leslie Herps || Novacle B.V. wrote:

Did I understand correctly:
How can we build an installer that can support only text mode
without GUI and VNC? was that the original question?

Correct. And by leaving this out, I want to save space, since I don't need
all those deps.

Since Revisor is all about use-cases like this, it has a --install-nogr
command line option, which is supposed to let anaconda build it's images
without graphical installer and/or vnc capabilities. For the specific
"minimal installer images" use-case Revisor also ships the feature Jesse
Keating mentioned:

Jesse Keating wrote:
> Instead of just pointing to the path where the packages are
> downloaded, you can also pass in other URIs to yum repos where more
> packages may be.

However, I recently tested composing this "no graphical" installer and
it didn't work. I'll try again and let you know what happens exactly, as
I don't remember what went wrong anymore.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip