Old 06-10-2008, 07:34 AM
"Gergely Buday"

Default mac address in prompt

Hi there,

for some reasons bash writes out my host's mac address as a result of
including h in PS1. Do you know why? This was not always so.

[gergoe@x0-13-xx-xx-xx-xx ~]$ echo $PS1
[u@h W]$

- Gergely

Old 06-10-2008, 09:12 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Gergely Buday wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> for some reasons bash writes out my host's mac address as a result of
> including h in PS1. Do you know why? This was not always so.
>
> [gergoe@x0-13-xx-xx-xx-xx ~]$ echo $PS1
> [u@h W]$

What does "hostname -f" come back with?

Ralph

Old 06-10-2008, 01:20 PM
"Gergely Buday"

>> for some reasons bash writes out my host's mac address as a result of
>> including h in PS1. Do you know why? This was not always so.
>>
>> [gergoe@x0-13-xx-xx-xx-xx ~]$ echo $PS1
>> [u@h W]$
>
> What does "hostname -f" come back with?

[gergoe@x0-13-8f-52-82-28 ~]$ hostname -f
hostname: Unknown host

After this I set hostname with the similarly-named command and now it
works, thanks for the tip.

- Gergely

Old 06-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Gergely Buday wrote:
> [gergoe@x0-13-8f-52-82-28 ~]$ hostname -f
> hostname: Unknown host
>
> After this I set hostname with the similarly-named command and now it
> works, thanks for the tip.

You might want to add the correct hostname in /etc/sysconfig/network, so
that the change will survive reboots ...

Cheers,

Ralph