Old 06-10-2008, 05:32 AM
Frank Cox

Default School Server Setup

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:03:50 +1000
Harry Sukumar <hsukumar@bond.edu.au> wrote:

> I am not sure where to start with this project

Could you possibly be a bit more vague with regard to your requirements?

What tasks, exactly, do you wish to accomplish?

Since you mention Apache and Squirrelmail, I assume you want to set up a web
server and email server. For what purpose? Internal use only? Public
access? Do you really need a webserver to accomplish your purpose, or is
Apache just a handy buzzword that you've heard about in the past? If, for
example, the school has only dial-up Internet access, or if they pay by the
megabyte for data transfer, then you might want to restrict external traffic in
some way and setting up a public webserver isn't the way.

Is the webserver for student projects? Of what nature? Teacher use? Online
test administration? Student records? Posting report cards or attendance
records? Something else completely?

What else do you want to do? What are the specifications of the 25 computers
that you have to do this job with? If they are low-powered machines, you may
want to look at ltsp -- there is even a special "for schools" version of ltsp
called k12-ltsp that may meet your needs right out-of-the-box.

Are all of these computers intended to go into one or two rooms, i.e. a
"computer lab"? Or is it one or two per classroom? What are the teachers
going to do with the computers once they are in place? Is someone available to
show them how to use them? (Don't just tell the teachers "here's a computer,
have a nice day".)

Please try to provide more specific information about your exact requirements,
what you wish to accomplish, what tasks are going to be automated, and what
hardware and connectivity you have available. Have you thought about the
actual hardware outside of the computers themselves? Do you have routers and
ethernet switches available? Can you get them if you require them? What about
wiring between classrooms or desks? Can you run your own ethernet cable? Do you
know where to get some connectors and a roll or two or three of cat 5? Got a
crimper? Know where to buy or borrow one?

That should give you some things to consider and look into -- it's the product
of two minutes of thought on my part and I'm sure you can come up with a lot
more than this if you give it some consideration of your own.

Simply stated, don't start a journey until you know what your destination is.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:00 AM
Ian Blackwell

Hi Harry,

Some good suggestions so far, and I would add these:-
1. Use postfix for your email, not sendmail. Postfix is much easier
to configure and use.
2. Install Webmin - a web based server config tool. This will make
package customization easier if you're new to Linux.
3. Look into LDAP for centralized user authentication. You don't want
to have to create users on 24 machines if you don't need to.

If you're keen to host your own email and web site, then you'll need a
domain name that is linked to your IP address - e.g.
somewhereinFNQ.qld.edu.au
I guess you'll need to liaise with the Qld Edu department on making
those DNS changes.

Anyway, if you get stuck with anything, please don't hesitate to contact
me off-line if you prefer. I'm in the Adelaide Hills, so in global
terms that's just next door really.

Cheers,

Ian

Old 06-10-2008, 06:04 AM
Ian Blackwell

Ian Blackwell wrote:

[...]

PS: Don't forget about a backup strategy. If you're going to host all
this data (emails, docs, etc.) on a server, then you need to make sure
you put a good backup policy in place.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:11 AM
"M. Fioretti"

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 15:03:50 PM +1000, Harry Sukumar wrote:

> I am trying to help (voluntary service) a country side school
> (Aboriginal community) in Northern Queensland Australia

Harry,

does/will this school have a website, or at least one web page
somewhere, where it presents itself and mentions that it uses Free
Software? If yes, please let me know, I'd like to add a link to it on
this page:

http://digifreedom.net/node/55

Of course, the same offer applies for any other school which does the
same!

Ciao,
Marco Fioretti
software is used *around* you: http://digifreedom.net/node/84

Old 06-10-2008, 06:35 AM
"Sorin@Gmail"

Go with CentOS on all machines, not
only the servers. The turnaround time for Fedora is a tad bit high IMO. I assume
your time is not without limits, and with CentOS you'll*be supported till
like 2014 with patches and stuff*IIRC. Fedora is 1,5yrs/release I
think.
*
If you can afford it, use RHEL on the
server (I think you'll be fine with the most basic entitlement). Remember, if
nobody buys RHEL there won't be any CentOS.
*
Install one client and set it up like
you want it and create a kickstart-file. Use that file when installing the other
clients.
*
For proxy, why not use a separate old
machine together with Smoothwall Express 3.0? It's a firewall appliance that
includes a transparant proxy which requires no setup on the client-side. Plenty
of mods too, like content-filtering to filter out pron and other filth. See here
for info on Smoothwall http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=smoothwall.
Smoothwall can fix your dhcp-thing too. Installation in general of SW is a
laugh, it's that simple. Just keep track of the red (ext) and green
(int)*networks. 8-)
*
I suggest you start with installing
the server and then the proxy/Smoothwall.
*
HTH.

service) a country side school (Aboriginal community) in Northern Queensland
Australia setup lab infrastructure, it’s a very remote school and they don’t
have enough funds to go commercial

*

The school has only till grade 6

*

They have 25 machines that was
bought out of the government grant but none of the machines come with windows

*

I was asked by the school
president to setup lab infrastructure currently they have Internet (Dynamic)
with only two machines connected

*

I have asked them to change the
plan to Static IP address which I presume will be done some time this week

*

I have decided to go Linux on all
the machines including the server

*

Could some one please cast some
light on how I can carry on with this project, I am not sure where to start and
I am fairly new to Linux and system administration
world

*

Currently what’s in my mind is to
setup fedora on all desktop and CentOS5 as my server with following services
configured

*

Proxy-squid (all the traffic to
pass through)

*

Firewall

*

Apache

*

Squirrel mail

***

DNS

*

DHCP

*

I am not sure where to start with
this project

*

Your help will be highly
appreciated by the little kids who have never even touched a computer before in
there life!!!

*

--

*

Many Thanks

*

Harry

*

*

*

Old 06-10-2008, 06:37 AM
"Sorin@Gmail"

Frank Cox <> scribbled on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 7:32 AM:

> If, for
> example, the school has only dial-up Internet access, or if they pay by the
> megabyte for data transfer, then you might want to restrict external
> traffic in some way and setting up a public webserver isn't the way.

Smoothwall can help with that too. Time-restricted access that is.