-   -   School Server Setup (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/103749-school-server-setup.html)

"Harry Sukumar" 06-10-2008 05:03 AM

School Server Setup

Hello All!!!

*

I was wondering if you can help me little bit….

*

I am trying to help (voluntary service) a country side
school (Aboriginal community) in Northern Queensland Australia setup lab
infrastructure, it’s a very remote school and they don’t have
enough funds to go commercial

*

The school has only till grade 6

*

They have 25 machines that was bought out of the
government grant but none of the machines come with windows

*

I was asked by the school president to setup lab infrastructure
currently they have Internet (Dynamic) with only two machines connected

*

I have asked them to change the plan to Static IP address
which I presume will be done some time this week

*

I have decided to go Linux on all the machines including
the server

*

Could some one please cast some light on how I can carry
on with this project, I am not sure where to start and I am fairly new to Linux
and system administration world

*

Currently what’s in my mind is to setup fedora on
all desktop and CentOS5 as my server with following services configured

*

Proxy-squid (all the traffic to pass through)

*

Firewall

*

Apache

*

Squirrel mail

***

DNS

*

DHCP

*

I am not sure where to start with this project

*

Your help will be highly appreciated by the little kids
who have never even touched a computer before in there life!!!

*

--

*

Many Thanks

*

Harry

*

*

*

lingu 06-10-2008 05:20 AM

School Server Setup

Hi,

*For your setup i i will suggest you to follow the implementation in below manner.

Desktop: Fedora is a good move but check out the stable version and install.I recommend u either fedora6 or fedora 8.Keep in mind if you want to run kde desktop then u need at least 512MB ram.GNOME is* the alternative desktop comes with fedora.

Server: Go with centos 5

Configure proxy and dhcp* and dns first.

Test it from all clients for the internet access.

Once it is fine then go with apache and squirrel mail.sendmail comes along with centos so tha u can tweak certain parameters in sendmail to get your things done for mailingg with squirrel mail.

After you* tested all of the* above then setup iptables for security.

I will suggest you to go thru the* below links* for basic linux configuration.

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/

Regards
lingu subramanian

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:33 AM, Harry Sukumar <hsukumar@bond.edu.au> wrote:

Hello All!!!

*

Les Mikesell 06-10-2008 05:26 AM

School Server Setup

Harry Sukumar wrote:

[...]

If you have one machine that could reasonably act as a server, you could
load k12ltsp (a CentOS based distribution that adds the ability to
network-boot thin clients and some educational programs) on it and be
done. In any case you might find the information here useful:

http://k12ltsp.org/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page along with their mail list.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com