-   -   Device Mapper and pretty names (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/103667-device-mapper-pretty-names.html)

"Joseph L. Casale" 06-10-2008 12:31 AM

Device Mapper and pretty names

How does one view the dm-{n} names wrt the actual dev names?
I assume it involves dmsetup but I cant figure it out. I am using iostat
to track some busy disk io and don't know which dm-{n} to watch :)

Thanks!
jlc

"Filipe Brandenburger" 06-10-2008 02:04 AM

Device Mapper and pretty names

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 8:31 PM, Joseph L. Casale
<JCasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:
> How does one view the dm-{n} names wrt the actual dev names?
> I assume it involves dmsetup but I cant figure it out. I am using iostat
> to track some busy disk io and don't know which dm-{n} to watch :)

Try ls -l /dev/mapper/

The minor number will correspond to the {n} in dm-{n}.

For instance, this:

$ ls -l /dev/mapper/
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 1 Apr 30 15:32 sysvg-home

indicates that dm-1 is /dev/sysvg/home