Old 06-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Scott Silva

Default new install of 5.1 with KVM-over-IP - can't install with GUI - need assistance

on 6-7-2008 8:06 AM Alon spake the following:

Hi All,

I have several dozens of CentOS and WhiteBox servers.

Most of them are CentOS 4.6.
Our installation service is done in the datacenter where the servers are
located.

When we install a fresh clean install, we use the GUI menus, while using
the KVMoverIP.

That was working great with CentOS 4.x

In CentOS 5.x, the installation process 'annonces" that "Hey,. I know
you are using a KVM and don't have a monitor attached" (who cares??).
But, "since you are using a KVM and no monitor is attached,. you CANNOT
use the GUI installation".

Why???

4.x didn't care for this.

Why make my life difficult?

I have to 'cheat' by calling the datacenter to plug a monitor for the
first minute of the install and then plug back the KVM cable.

Isn't this stupid? of course it is!

I am looking for a solution such as a parameter that I can pass to the
boot sequence (vga=nommconf or something like that) so that it won't do
the probing for the VGA and just let me go about my business.

Mind you that this is a problem both with DELL PowerEdge 1950iii with
DRAC5 remote consule as well as with just plain PCs that use ATEN KVM 9116.
Once the probe understand that we don't use a monitor it prompts the
'can't use the GUI'.

Any pointers about this?

Thanks,

-Sup.
I believe there is a "headless" parameter you can use. I have used it for VNC
installs. It might work for you.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and