Old 12-02-2007, 03:32 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

Default CentOS 5 and removing sendmail

Hi, I want to build a spam gateway for my mail server using
postfix. I issued an rpm -e sendmail and got the following output:

*

# rpm -e sendmail

error: Failed dependencies:

******* /usr/sbin/sendmail is needed by (installed)
redhat-lsb-3.1-12.2.EL.el5.centos.i386

******* smtpdaemon is needed by (installed)
mutt-1.4.2.2-3.el5.i386

******* smtpdaemon is needed by (installed)
fetchmail-6.3.6-1.el5.i386

******* smtpdaemon is needed by (installed)
mdadm-2.5.4-3.el5.i386

*

How does one replace sendmail with postfix (I am hoping to
install from source using the latest version)?

*

Thanks!

jlc

Old 12-02-2007, 03:43 AM
"Robert - elists"

*

Hi,
I want to build a spam gateway for my mail server using postfix. I issued an
rpm -e sendmail and got the following output:

*

#
rpm -e sendmail

error:
Failed dependencies:

*******
/usr/sbin/sendmail is needed by (installed) redhat-lsb-3.1-12.2.EL.el5.centos.i386

*******
smtpdaemon is needed by (installed) mutt-1.4.2.2-3.el5.i386

*******
smtpdaemon is needed by (installed) fetchmail-6.3.6-1.el5.i386

*******
smtpdaemon is needed by (installed) mdadm-2.5.4-3.el5.i386

*

How
does one replace sendmail with postfix (I am hoping to install from source
using the latest version)?

*

Thanks!

jlc

*

You could

*

yum remove sendmail

*

then you could

*

yum install ********whatever****

*

*- rh

Old 12-02-2007, 03:47 AM
Yonathan Dossow

On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 21:32 -0700, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> [...]
> How does one replace sendmail with postfix (I am hoping to install
> from source using the latest version)?

first install postfix using yum, then remove sendmail.

--
Yonathan H. Dossow Acun~a http://kronin.bla.cl
Estudiante Ingenieria Civil Informatica

Old 12-02-2007, 03:54 AM
Craig White

On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 20:43 -0800, Robert - elists wrote:

> Hi, I want to build a spam gateway for my mail server using postfix. I
> issued an rpm -e sendmail and got the following output:
>

> # rpm -e sendmail
>
> error: Failed dependencies:
>
> /usr/sbin/sendmail is needed by (installed)
> redhat-lsb-3.1-12.2.EL.el5.centos.i386
>
> smtpdaemon is needed by (installed) mutt-1.4.2.2-3.el5.i386
>
> smtpdaemon is needed by (installed) fetchmail-6.3.6-1.el5.i386
>
> smtpdaemon is needed by (installed) mdadm-2.5.4-3.el5.i386
>

> How does one replace sendmail with postfix (I am hoping to install
> from source using the latest version)?
>

> Thanks!
> jlc
>

> You could
>

> yum remove sendmail
>

> then you could
>

> yum install ********whatever****
----
yum install postfix switch-mail
switch-mail #change to postfix
then you could probably remove sendmail (never tried)

Craig

Old 12-02-2007, 04:58 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>yum install postfix switch-mail
>switch-mail #change to postfix
>then you could probably remove sendmail (never tried)
>
>Craig

Am I correct in assuming the latest version of sendmail from the repo is 2.3.3-2? I was hoping to use 2.5 and wanted to install it via source.
Is it safe to install that way and run switch-mail after?

The other posts never mentioned switch-mail, is it ran by the system under certain scenarios?

Thanks!
jlc

Old 12-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 22:58 -0700, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >yum install postfix switch-mail
> >switch-mail #change to postfix
> >then you could probably remove sendmail (never tried)
> >
> >Craig
>
> Am I correct in assuming the latest version of sendmail from the repo is 2.3.3-2? I was hoping to use 2.5 and wanted to install it via source.
> Is it safe to install that way and run switch-mail after?
>
> The other posts never mentioned switch-mail, is it ran by the system under certain scenarios?
----
I doubt that there would be much purpose for installing/using
switch-mail if you are going to use source instead of standard packages
since the point of switch-mail is to enable the postfix package itself.

That said, I don't know why one would use CentOS and then compile
postfix from source packages and then have to assume all responsibility
for updates.

Craig

Old 12-02-2007, 04:06 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>That said, I don't know why one would use CentOS and then compile
>postfix from source packages and then have to assume all responsibility
>for updates.
>
>Craig

Well, mainly because CentOS is the distro I have decided to use while learning Linux and that version of Postfix is the one I need to experiment with
During compilation, it stated it handles switching over to postfix on its own! Maybe life is just that easy sometimes, heh...

Thanks!
jlc

Old 12-02-2007, 08:36 PM
Kenneth Porter

--On Sunday, December 02, 2007 10:06 AM -0700 "Joseph L. Casale"
That said, I don't know why one would use CentOS and then compile
postfix from source packages and then have to assume all responsibility
for updates.

Craig

Well, mainly because CentOS is the distro I have decided to use while
learning Linux and that version of Postfix is the one I need to
experiment with

Then take the version of Postfix that's required, the Postfix SRPM from
CentOS, and adapt the SRPM to use the later Postfix tarball. You might
check Fedora, as it may have this already done. (An SRPM is a source
package, so you'd be "building from source" while still using the distro
package manager.)

Old 12-02-2007, 09:11 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Then take the version of Postfix that's required, the Postfix SRPM from
>CentOS, and adapt the SRPM to use the later Postfix tarball. You might
>check Fedora, as it may have this already done. (An SRPM is a source
>package, so you'd be "building from source" while still using the distro
>package manager.)

Kenneth,
I appreciate the pointer, but that's all way over my level of experience at the moment! Hopefully you can clarify a few extra questions for me

I assume when you use the package manager to install an application it takes care of creating users for services and all other related requirements, or is just a matter of tracking the installed programs files for later removal or interference with another installed program? A quick search on the net suggested yum was a better tool to use as it handled downloading and additional dependencies? I assume yum can't be used for this scenario?

Looking around, I found the following file: http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5.0/os/SRPMS/postfix-2.3.3-2.src.rpm which I assume is what you referred to, I don't mind reading on my own but can you nudge me in the right direction to learn how to adapt this srpm to use the tarball I am interested in? I read that building the rpm from source as a mortal user is advised as the forum suggested "so processes are unnecessarily running as root from the newly created binary, its more secure"? Does the newly built rpm actually change behavior once installed depending on who built it, or was that merely related to process for the build only while compiling?

Thanks for your help!
jlc

Old 12-03-2007, 01:29 AM
"Indunil Jayasooriya"