Old 12-03-2007, 02:58 PM
Scott Silva

Default CentOS 5 and removing sendmail

on 12/2/2007 6:29 PM Indunil Jayasooriya spake the following:

# rpm -e sendmail

error: Failed dependencies:

/usr/sbin/sendmail is needed by (installed)
redhat-lsb-3.1-12.2.EL.el5.centos.i386

smtpdaemon is needed by (installed) mutt-1.4.2.2-3.el5.i386

smtpdaemon is needed by (installed) fetchmail-6.3.6-1.el5.i386

smtpdaemon is needed by (installed) mdadm-2.5.4-3.el5.i386

pls try

rpm -e sendmail --nodeps

No --- Don't --- Install another MTA before you try to remove sendmail.
Warned you have been!

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 12-03-2007, 03:50 PM
"Christian Volker"

Yohoo!

>>> # rpm -e sendmail
>>> error: Failed dependencies:
>> rpm -e sendmail --nodeps
>No --- Don't --- Install another MTA before you try to remove sendmail.

Where's the difference?

Christian Volker
Technical Support Engineer

Old 12-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Ugo Bellavance

Christian Volker wrote:

Yohoo!

# rpm -e sendmail
error: Failed dependencies:

rpm -e sendmail --nodeps

No --- Don't --- Install another MTA before you try to remove sendmail.

Where's the difference?

Using --nodeps can break stuff.

Instead to:

yum install postfix

then,

yum remove sendmail (if necessary)

Old 12-03-2007, 03:57 PM
"Brian Mathis"

On Dec 3, 2007 11:50 AM, Christian Volker <cvolker@vmware.com> wrote:
> Yohoo!

> >> rpm -e sendmail --nodeps
> >No --- Don't --- Install another MTA before you try to remove sendmail.
>
> Where's the difference?
>
> Christian Volker
> Technical Support Engineer

Because using nodeps is a bad habit to get into, and can easily break
things. If you install postfix first, then remove sendmail,
everything will be happy and you don't have to worry about it. You
won't be introducing possible unknowns into the system.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:04 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>No --- Don't --- Install another MTA before you try to remove sendmail.
>Warned you have been!

Well, unless you install postfix first, then system-switch-mail, then execute switch-mail, how does the stuff that needs sendmail know what to use? If you take out sendmail first, it removes other dependent stuff, but if you install postfix and the switch-mail util, when you remove sendmail it goes away without complaint.

Thanks!
jlc

Old 12-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Les Mikesell

Joseph L. Casale wrote:

No --- Don't --- Install another MTA before you try to remove sendmail.
Warned you have been!

Well, unless you install postfix first, then system-switch-mail, then execute switch-mail, how does the stuff that needs sendmail know what to use? If you take out sendmail first, it removes other dependent stuff, but if you install postfix and the switch-mail util, when you remove sendmail it goes away without complaint.

'Stuff that needs sendmail' normally executes a command named sendmail,
usually as /usr/sbin/sendmail. Installing postfix will supply one, and
system-switch-mail manipulates which one is active if you have both
through a symlink scheme. If you try to run something that needs
sendmail without a working /usr/bin/sendmail program, it will fail to
deliver anything but your system won't crash and burn.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 12-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Stephen Harris

On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 10:04:30AM -0700, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> Well, unless you install postfix first, then system-switch-mail, then
> execute switch-mail, how does the stuff that needs sendmail know what to use?

This is the "alternatives" system at work. /usr/sbin/sendmail
is a symlink to /etc/alternatives/sendmail. The "alternatives"
system will manage the /etc/alternatives/sendmail symlink, so that
if your mail system is configured as "sendmail" then it points to
/usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail which is the _actual_ sendmail command
provided by the sendmail RPM package. If your mail system is postfix
then it points to /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix instead.

--

rgds
Stephen

Old 12-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Miark

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 10:04:30 -0700, Joseph wrote:

> >No --- Don't --- Install another MTA before you try to remove
> >sendmail. Warned you have been!
>
> Well, unless you install postfix first, then
> system-switch-mail, then execute switch-mail, how does the
> stuff that needs sendmail know what to use?

But you only need switch-mail if you have both Sendmail and
Postfix, right? IOW, if you want to use Postfix exclusively,
you could just install Postfix and remove Sendmail. That's what
I did, and my mail system is working just fine.

Miark

Old 12-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Kenneth Porter

--On Sunday, December 02, 2007 3:11 PM -0700 "Joseph L. Casale"