Old 06-09-2008, 04:55 AM
Michel van Deventer

Default Compact Flash..

Hi,

On Sun, 2008-06-08 at 16:38 -0500, Ryan Nichols wrote:
> Ok.. Im curious.. Can I install CentOS on a compact flash card, then
> have the MySQL on another drive? to have the compact flash like read
> only for the OS to boot from, then do the swap, mysql,etc from the other
> drive? How hard would this be to do?
Yes, you can (of course). My backupserver boots from CF (only kernel
+initrd) and then continues from harddrive.

I do not have a howto here but if you search google, you'll probably
find a lot of them.

Regards,

Michel

Old 06-09-2008, 07:50 AM
Ryan Nichols

Michel van Deventer wrote:

Hi,

On Sun, 2008-06-08 at 16:38 -0500, Ryan Nichols wrote:

Ok.. Im curious.. Can I install CentOS on a compact flash card, then
have the MySQL on another drive? to have the compact flash like read
only for the OS to boot from, then do the swap, mysql,etc from the other
drive? How hard would this be to do?

Yes, you can (of course). My backupserver boots from CF (only kernel
+initrd) and then continues from harddrive.

I do not have a howto here but if you search google, you'll probably
find a lot of them.

Regards,

Michel

I have searched google, and all i get is more and more confused...
Maybe I need to not go this route.* I was trying to get the CF as the
system drive and keep the database on a seperate drive incase either
failed.. seemed like it made sense at the time..

Ryan Nichols

Old 06-09-2008, 09:31 AM
"Peter Farrell"

It's easy. Look - you can get an IDE -to- CF adapter for about a fiver.
Get a 4 or 8 GB CF card and install it on IDE 01.

That's your main drive.

Set up your other drives in what ever config is necessary. Solo,
Software RAID, whatever.

Do your install. Either use the partition editor, or boot into Knoppix
and run gparted to format your other drives.
After install - edit that FSTAB to make sure everything is in order.
For example, on one of the other drives you could set a
mount point as '/data'.

Configure MySQL.
*database can be anywhere, NFS share or other FS. It doesn't matter as
long as you configure my.cnf to tell MySQL where to look.
Here is one of my production machine's my.cnf using databases from a
/data partition (which is on a RAID FS).
Although MySQL is installed at /usr/local - the databases are all on /data.
Read you man pages and have a noodle through the MySQL website for
declaring options for my.cnf

[client]
port=3306
socket=/tmp/mysql.sock

[mysqld]
log-bin=example-bin
server-id=4
port=3306
socket=/tmp/mysql.sock
query_cache_size = 200M
set-variable = key_buffer_size=512M
set-variable = max_allowed_packet=2M
set-variable = max_binlog_size=20M
set-variable = record_buffer=200K
set-variable = net_buffer=100K
set-variable = max_connections=1000
set-variable = thread_cache_size=20
set-variable = thread_stack=128K
innodb_data_file_path = data/mysql/innodb/datafile01:10000M
innodb_data_home_dir = /
set-variable = innodb_mirrored_log_groups=1
innodb_log_group_home_dir = /data/mysql/innodb/
set-variable = innodb_log_files_in_group=3
set-variable = innodb_log_file_size=10M
set-variable = innodb_log_buffer_size=8M
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=1
innodb_log_arch_dir = /data/mysql/innodb/
innodb_log_archive=0
set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size=128M
set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=20M
set-variable = innodb_file_io_threads=4
set-variable = innodb_lock_wait_timeout=50
default-table-type = innodb
log-slow-queries = /data/mysql/slow-queries.log
ft_min_word_len=3
set-variable = wait_timeout=604800

[mysqldump]
quick

-Peter

Old 06-09-2008, 09:34 AM
John R Pierce

Ryan Nichols wrote:
I was trying to get the CF as the system drive and keep the database
on a seperate drive incase either failed.. seemed like it made sense
at the time..

if the CF fails, it won't boot. if the HD fails, you've lost your
database. not sure what the gain is here.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Ryan Nichols

John R Pierce wrote:

Ryan Nichols wrote:
I was trying to get the CF as the system drive and keep the database
on a seperate drive incase either failed.. seemed like it made sense
at the time..

if the CF fails, it won't boot. if the HD fails, you've lost your
database. not sure what the gain is here.

CF Fails, i can re inject it into a new CF card and away I go. yes if
the HD fails ive lost the database, but its a monitoring box, toss a new
one in , reboot the box and away we go.

Ryan Nichols

Old 06-09-2008, 10:40 AM
"Peter Farrell"

I generally will do one of two things in addition to my normal backups.

1. run a cron that exports the database, then gzip it - I rsync that
off to another machine.
2. I replicate the database to other machines in the same tier.

I agree about the CF failure as well. No biggie. I would copy it's
partition somewhere else once a week for a potential restore of just
such a failure.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Tom Brown

CF Fails, i can re inject it into a new CF card and away I go. yes if
the HD fails ive lost the database, but its a monitoring box, toss a
new one in , reboot the box and away we go.

but as either cant operate without the other you have just doubled your
chances of an outage rather than reduced it

Old 06-09-2008, 12:13 PM
mkn0014

Tom Brown wrote:

CF Fails, i can re inject it into a new CF card and away I go. yes
if the HD fails ive lost the database, but its a monitoring box, toss
a new one in , reboot the box and away we go.

but as either cant operate without the other you have just doubled
your chances of an outage rather than reduced it

You have lowered the MTTR but gained a higher MTTF and that was maybee
your goal?

KISS principle rules, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Scott Silva

on 6-9-2008 3:40 AM Peter Farrell spake the following:

I generally will do one of two things in addition to my normal backups.

1. run a cron that exports the database, then gzip it - I rsync that
off to another machine.
2. I replicate the database to other machines in the same tier.

I agree about the CF failure as well. No biggie. I would copy it's
partition somewhere else once a week for a potential restore of just
such a failure.

-Peter
I could see the CF as a faster boot, but it might just be easier to software
raid 2 drives and not worry about the mix. One drive fails, you swap and
resync, 2 drives fail, well you did say something about backups! ;-P

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and