Old 06-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Default Change from gnome to KDE desktop

What's the best way to do this?
Remove the yum group gnome (does this set default init to 3?), install the
yum group KDE and then set default init to 5 again (as I assume installing
KDE not during the setup will not automatically set the system to start
the gui?).

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 06-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Lanny Marcus

On Sun, 2008-06-08 at 17:31 +0200, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> What's the best way to do this?
> Remove the yum group gnome (does this set default init to 3?), install the
> yum group KDE and then set default init to 5 again (as I assume installing
> KDE not during the setup will not automatically set the system to start
> the gui?).

Wait for an expert answer, before you do this, because there may be a
better way. If I were going to do this, I would install KDE first, and
then remove Gnome. Possibly there is a better way to do it? (I have both
Gnome and KDE installed)

Old 06-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Mark Weaver

Lanny Marcus wrote:

Remove the yum group gnome (does this set default init to 3?), install the
yum group KDE and then set default init to 5 again (as I assume installing
KDE not during the setup will not automatically set the system to start
the gui?).

Wait for an expert answer, before you do this, because there may be a
better way. If I were going to do this, I would install KDE first, and
then remove Gnome. Possibly there is a better way to do it? (I have both
Gnome and KDE installed)

unless there's a space issue on the machine you're talking about why not
install the KDE group, run switchdesk in a terminal, set your default
desktop to KDE and not even worry about removing Gnome. There are some
dependency issues you'll run into when you attempt to remove Gnome.

--
Mark

Ignorance, like Reality, is a matter of perspective.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:31 AM
Kai Schaetzl

Mark Weaver wrote on Sun, 08 Jun 2008 12:30:46 -0400:

> unless there's a space issue on the machine you're talking about why not
> install the KDE group, run switchdesk in a terminal, set your default
> desktop to KDE and not even worry about removing Gnome. There are some
> dependency issues you'll run into when you attempt to remove Gnome.

Thanks, I wasn't aware about switchdesk. Using that worked fine.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 06-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Mark Weaver wrote on Sun, 08 Jun 2008 12:30:46 -0400:

> There are some
> dependency issues you'll run into when you attempt to remove Gnome.

And weird ones, to that. If I try to remove Gnome Desktop Environment this
results in a second dependency check that then wants to remove many
libraries that KDE relies on and then to remove KDE as well. So, if one
wants to get *really* rid of Gnome one should indeed first uninstall
Gnome.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany