Old 12-01-2007, 11:22 PM
"Manuel Leon"

Default Obtuse-smtpd and Postfix

Hi all….

*

I would like to switch to CENTOS Postfix
from sendmail. My current sendmail, in combination with

the very old obtuse-smtpd, allows me:

*

1.******
To control who of the internal
users can ****send mail and ******to
which domain or accounts

2.******
To control who of the internal
users can receive mail and from which domain or accounts

3.******
To obtain a copy of all ********sent
mails

4.******
To obtain a copy of all received
mails

*

Obtuse-smtpd is very easy to configure and
very effective. It takes control of all smtp activities over Port

25 and, after filtering and checking, passes
the safe mails to sendmail for final delivery. Obtuse can, also,

check for addressability, through DNS, of
the mail sender and other useful features.

*

Unfortunately, obtuse-smtpd is so old that
it works only (don’t be surprised) with old sendmail versions.

So, I always have to uninstall the in-OS
shipped modern sendmail version and replace it with the proper

old version.

*

Now:

*

Can Postfix do all this ?

*

Or, at least:

*

Can Postfix work in combination with obtuse-smtpd ? (at the end,
obtuse just calls

sendmail for the real mail delivery; it only receives mail in port
25 and checks what it

receives with its rules, allowing or rejecting at the end)

*

Thanks a lot, in advance.

*

M. Leon

*

Old 12-02-2007, 02:53 AM
Bill Campbell

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007, Manuel Leon wrote:

> Hi all....
>

> I would like to switch to CENTOS Postfix from sendmail. My current
> sendmail, in combination with
>
> the very old obtuse-smtpd, allows me:
>
> 1. To control who of the internal users can send mail and
> to which domain or accounts

You could control access by requiring them to send via the submission port
(587) with smtp-auth either using sasl or dovcot and postfix.

> 2. To control who of the internal users can receive mail and
> from which domain or accounts

I think would require some work using Chip Salzenberg's deliver program,
procmail, or some such MDA (Mail Delivery Agent) behind postfix. Off hand
I can't think of how one would do this directly with postfix.

> 3. To obtain a copy of all sent mails
>
> 4. To obtain a copy of all received mails

These two could be handled using always_bcc in postfix's main.cf.

> Obtuse-smtpd is very easy to configure and very effective. It takes
> control of all smtp activities over Port
>
> 25 and, after filtering and checking, passes the safe mails to
> sendmail for final delivery. Obtuse can, also,
>
> check for addressability, through DNS, of the mail sender and other
> useful features.

Postfix gives lots of options for incoming filtering using DNS, amavisd and
clamav etc. There's extensive documentation on the postfix web site,
http://www.postfix.org/

Bill

People from East Germany have found the West so confusing. It's so much
easier when you have only one party. -- Linus Torvalde, Linux Expo Canada
when asked about confusion over many Linux distributions.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Barry Brimer

I would like to switch to CENTOS Postfix from sendmail. My current
sendmail, in combination with

the very old obtuse-smtpd, allows me:

1. To control who of the internal users can send mail and
to which domain or accounts

This can be accomplished with smtpd_restrictions_classes

2. To control who of the internal users can receive mail and from
which domain or accounts

Ditto.

3. To obtain a copy of all sent mails

This can be accomplished using always_bcc

4. To obtain a copy of all received mails

Ditto.

Obtuse-smtpd is very easy to configure and very effective. It takes
control of all smtp activities over Port

25 and, after filtering and checking, passes the safe mails to sendmail
for final delivery. Obtuse can, also,

check for addressability, through DNS, of the mail sender and other
useful features.

Postfix has extensive capabilities for this as well.

Can Postfix do all this ?

Yes.

Or, at least:

Can Postfix work in combination with obtuse-smtpd ? (at the end, obtuse
just calls

Good question. I've never heard of obtuse-smtpd, so I can't tell you, but
Postfix generally acts like sendmail on the outside, but completely
different on the inside.

sendmail for the real mail delivery; it only receives mail in port 25
and checks what it

receives with its rules, allowing or rejecting at the end)

Postfix does that as well.

Check out Ralf Hildebrandt's postfix resources at
<http://www.arschkrebs.de/postfix/>. Ralf is also the co-author of an
excellent Postfix book. You should particularly read the 3 pages about
restriction classes.

Barry