Old 06-07-2008, 03:06 PM
"Alon"

Default new install of 5.1 with KVM-over-IP - can't install with GUI - need assistance

Hi All,
*
I have several dozens of CentOS and WhiteBox
servers.
Most of them are CentOS 4.6.
Our installation service is done in the datacenter where the
servers are located.
*
When we install a fresh clean install, we use the GUI menus,
while using the KVMoverIP.
*
That was working great with CentOS 4.x
*
In CentOS 5.x, the installation process 'annonces" that "Hey,.
I know you are using a KVM and don't have a monitor attached"** (who
cares??).
But, "since* you are using a KVM and no monitor is
attached,. you CANNOT use the GUI installation".
*
Why???
*
4.x didn't care for this.
*
Why make my life difficult?
*
I have to 'cheat' by calling the datacenter to plug a monitor
for the first minute of the install and then plug back the KVM
cable.
Isn't this stupid? of course it is!
*
I am looking for a solution such as a parameter that I can
pass to the boot sequence (vga=nommconf or something like that) so that it won't
do the probing for the VGA and just let me go about my business.
*
*
Mind you that this is a problem both with DELL PowerEdge
1950iii with DRAC5 remote consule as well as with just plain PCs that use ATEN
KVM 9116.
Once the probe understand that we don't use a monitor it
prompts the 'can't use the GUI'.
*
Any pointers about this?
*