-   -   Slightly OT: Conexant fax/modem not faxing with sendfax (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/10202-slightly-ot-conexant-fax-modem-not-faxing-sendfax.html)

MHR 12-01-2007 09:55 PM

On Nov 30, 2007 6:35 PM, Kingsly John <member+centos@kingsly.net> wrote:

> What you have isn't a "real" modem .. it's just a winmodem that is usable
> under linux. "real" modems don't need drivers to work.
>
> 11/30 00:31:52 dem mdm_command: string 'AT+FCLASS=2.0'
> 11/30 00:31:52 dem mdm_command: string 'ERROR' -> ERROR
>
> 11/30 00:31:52 dem mdm_command: string 'AT+FCLASS=2'
> 11/30 00:31:52 dem mdm_command: string 'ERROR' -> ERROR
>
> Your modem (rather the driver) doesn't support Class2 or Class2.0 fax command sets.

Figures - I was planning to take it back anyway.

Thanks!

Any recommendations for actual genuine, non-winmodem, CHEAP modems?

And, yes, I realize that this is OT - should have said so up front....

Thanks again.

mhr

Matt Hyclak 12-01-2007 10:40 PM

Slightly OT: Conexant fax/modem not faxing with sendfax

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 02:55:39PM -0800, MHR enlightened us:
> > What you have isn't a "real" modem .. it's just a winmodem that is usable
> > under linux. "real" modems don't need drivers to work.
> >
> > 11/30 00:31:52 dem mdm_command: string 'AT+FCLASS=2.0'
> > 11/30 00:31:52 dem mdm_command: string 'ERROR' -> ERROR
> >
> > 11/30 00:31:52 dem mdm_command: string 'AT+FCLASS=2'
> > 11/30 00:31:52 dem mdm_command: string 'ERROR' -> ERROR
> >
> > Your modem (rather the driver) doesn't support Class2 or Class2.0 fax command sets.
> >

> Figures - I was planning to take it back anyway.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Any recommendations for actual genuine, non-winmodem, CHEAP modems?
>
> And, yes, I realize that this is OT - should have said so up front....

Go get yourself an external USRobotics Courier v.everything from eBay.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics

MHR 12-01-2007 11:49 PM

On Dec 1, 2007 3:40 PM, Matt Hyclak <hyclak@math.ohiou.edu> wrote:

> Go get yourself an external USRobotics Courier v.everything from eBay.

I decided to give my lovely winmodem LT/Agere modem one more shot with the martian driver - it seems to work (at least as well as the conexant did), but, again, senfax can't find it as a 2 or
2.0 class fax, and efax dies with a segfault.

Is this at all possible (using it for a fax) or is it hopeless?

Thanks.

mhr

P.S.: I'm beginning to like eBay - had a wildly successful bid for a scanner for 1 cent plus shipping, and it works.

Robert 12-02-2007 12:23 AM

wrote:

> Go get yourself an external USRobotics Courier v.everything from
eBay.

I decided to give my lovely winmodem LT/Agere modem one more shot with
the martian driver - it seems to work (at least as well as the conexant
did), but, again, senfax can't find it as a 2 or 2.0 class fax, and
efax dies with a segfault.

Is this at all possible (using it for a fax) or is it hopeless?

Thanks.

mhr

P.S.: I'm beginning to like eBay - had a wildly successful bid for a
scanner for 1 cent plus shipping, and it works.

All the more reason to quit wasting your time
with that junk and go shopping for a USRobotics* Courier v.everything
-- external if you have a serial port available.* I notice that there
are several on ebay right now.* If it has no manual included, download
one from the mfr.

*

Garrick Staples 12-02-2007 03:35 AM

Slightly OT: Conexant fax/modem not faxing with sendfax

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 02:55:39PM -0800, MHR alleged:
> Any recommendations for actual genuine, non-winmodem, CHEAP modems?

All external serial modems are real hardware modems.

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams 12-02-2007 09:15 AM

On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 20:35 -0800, Garrick Staples wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 02:55:39PM -0800, MHR alleged:
> > Any recommendations for actual genuine, non-winmodem, CHEAP modems?
>
> All external serial modems are real hardware modems.

Quite a few USB ones as well.

Garrick Staples 12-02-2007 11:08 PM

Slightly OT: Conexant fax/modem not faxing with sendfax

On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 05:15:16AM -0500, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams alleged:
> On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 20:35 -0800, Garrick Staples wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 02:55:39PM -0800, MHR alleged:
> > > Any recommendations for actual genuine, non-winmodem, CHEAP modems?
> >
> > All external serial modems are real hardware modems.
>
> Quite a few USB ones as well.

But you can't tell which. It's a mystery. Even if someone tells you that
such-and-such model is a hardware modem, it could change in the box.

Getting an external serial modem is fool-proof.