Old 06-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Jerry Geis

Default usb thumbdrive

I have a bootable usb thumbdrive now...
three partions, msdos for syslinux booting, ext3 and swap.

How can I grab my QEMU installed centos 4 image and put it on the
ext3 /dev/sdc2 partition on my thumbdrive?

THanks,

Jerry

Old 06-06-2008, 05:51 PM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

Jerry Geis wrote:

I have a bootable usb thumbdrive now...
three partions, msdos for syslinux booting, ext3 and swap.

I think it's a bad idea to put a swap partition on a flash drive...
or is that obsolete knowledge?

Old 06-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Jerry Geis

Jerry Geis wrote:
> I have a bootable usb thumbdrive now...
> three partions, msdos for syslinux booting, ext3 and swap.

I think it's a bad idea to put a swap partition on a flash drive...
or is that obsolete knowledge?

Its there by habit - and I hope I dont need it.

Just investigating a solution. I also hope its obsolete like you
mention.

Jerry

Old 06-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Jerry Geis

Hi all,

I am soo close. I have have made my custom kernel from a DIFFERENT machine,
I have hte USB booting, I have 3 partitions, 1-fat12, 2 - ext3, 3 is swap.
on booting it says:

VFS cannot open root device NULL please append root=

I tried root=/dev/sda2 and still nothing.

Is there something about building a kernel on one machine and then
taking that

to another machine with different disk structure and it not booting???
What do you do in that case?

I think - hope - this is my last step to get past...

jerry

Old 06-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Paul Heinlein

I am soo close. I have have made my custom kernel from a DIFFERENT
machine, I have hte USB booting, I have 3 partitions, 1-fat12, 2 -
ext3, 3 is swap. on booting it says:

VFS cannot open root device NULL please append root=

I tried root=/dev/sda2 and still nothing.

Does your custom kernel (or its initrd) include the USB storage
drivers necessary for reading your thumb drive?

Old 06-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Jerry Geis

Jerry Geis wrote:

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008, Jerry Geis wrote:

> I am soo close. I have have made my custom kernel from a DIFFERENT
> machine, I have hte USB booting, I have 3 partitions, 1-fat12, 2 -
> ext3, 3 is swap. on booting it says:
>
> VFS cannot open root device NULL please append root=
>
> I tried root=/dev/sda2 and still nothing.

Does your custom kernel (or its initrd) include the USB storage
drivers necessary for reading your thumb drive?

Paul,

I started with the config from the old kernel but specifically which
ones

do I need to check and verify?

Thanks,

Jerry

Old 06-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Paul Heinlein

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008, Jerry Geis wrote:

> I am soo close. I have have made my custom kernel from a DIFFERENT
> machine, I have hte USB booting, I have 3 partitions, 1-fat12, 2 -
> ext3, 3 is swap. on booting it says:

> VFS cannot open root device NULL please append root=
>
> I tried root=/dev/sda2 and still nothing.

Does your custom kernel (or its initrd) include the USB storage
drivers necessary for reading your thumb drive?

Paul,

I started with the config from the old kernel but specifically which
ones do I need to check and verify?

I don't have any Linux machines handy for getting an exact list, but
the usb-storage module is certainly key. It depends, in turn, on the
scsi_mod module.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:48 PM
Scott Silva

on 6-6-2008 12:33 PM Jerry Geis spake the following:

Hi all,

I am soo close. I have have made my custom kernel from a DIFFERENT machine,
I have hte USB booting, I have 3 partitions, 1-fat12, 2 - ext3, 3 is swap.
on booting it says:

VFS cannot open root device NULL please append root=

I tried root=/dev/sda2 and still nothing.

Is there something about building a kernel on one machine and then
taking that

to another machine with different disk structure and it not booting???
What do you do in that case?

I think - hope - this is my last step to get past...

jerry
You have to make sure that your initrd made on the other machine has drivers
for the usb storage loaded.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and