Old 06-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Ruslan Sivak

Default 3Ware 9690SA

I successfully installed CentOS on 3ware 9650SE controller. Due to some
issues with compatibility with my motherboard, I replaced it with a
9690SA.

Now the system won't boot (although interestingly enough, it find the
boot menu fine, just won't boot past a certain point in the bootup phase.

I thought I would reinstall, but anaconda doesn't find the raid array.

3ware does have drivers on their site, but I'm not too sure how to get
them on my system?

Russ

Old 06-06-2008, 04:54 PM
"Tim Verhoeven"

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 6:51 PM, Ruslan Sivak <russ@vshift.com> wrote:
> I successfully installed CentOS on 3ware 9650SE controller. Due to some
> issues with compatibility with my motherboard, I replaced it with a 9690SA.
> Now the system won't boot (although interestingly enough, it find the boot
> menu fine, just won't boot past a certain point in the bootup phase.
>
> I thought I would reinstall, but anaconda doesn't find the raid array.
> 3ware does have drivers on their site, but I'm not too sure how to get them
> on my system?

That controller requires a newer version of the 3ware driver. I'm
pretty sure the 5.2 will have that driver. So if you can wait a bit
longer...

Regards,
Tim

(Linus Torvalds)

Old 06-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Ruslan Sivak

Tim Verhoeven wrote:

I successfully installed CentOS on 3ware 9650SE controller. Due to some
issues with compatibility with my motherboard, I replaced it with a 9690SA.
Now the system won't boot (although interestingly enough, it find the boot
menu fine, just won't boot past a certain point in the bootup phase.

I thought I would reinstall, but anaconda doesn't find the raid array.
3ware does have drivers on their site, but I'm not too sure how to get them
on my system?

That controller requires a newer version of the 3ware driver. I'm
pretty sure the 5.2 will have that driver. So if you can wait a bit
longer...

Regards,
Tim

For production use, I can, but currently we are testing these servers,
and I would like to get them up and running. Is there a way to load a
driver on an already running system, or load it for anaconda? Something
similar to F6 in windows?

Or do I need to go to the console and install it manually?

Russ

Old 06-06-2008, 05:05 PM
Jeff

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 11:58 AM, Ruslan Sivak <russ@vshift.com> wrote:
> Tim Verhoeven wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 6:51 PM, Ruslan Sivak <russ@vshift.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I successfully installed CentOS on 3ware 9650SE controller. Due to some
>>> issues with compatibility with my motherboard, I replaced it with a
>>> 9690SA.
>>> Now the system won't boot (although interestingly enough, it find the
>>> boot
>>> menu fine, just won't boot past a certain point in the bootup phase.
>>>
>>> I thought I would reinstall, but anaconda doesn't find the raid array.
>>> 3ware does have drivers on their site, but I'm not too sure how to get
>>> them
>>> on my system?
>>>

>> That controller requires a newer version of the 3ware driver. I'm
>> pretty sure the 5.2 will have that driver. So if you can wait a bit
>> longer...
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tim
>>

> For production use, I can, but currently we are testing these servers, and I
> would like to get them up and running. Is there a way to load a driver on
> an already running system, or load it for anaconda? Something similar to F6
> in windows?

Yes, anaconda supports the concept of a driver disk.

http://www.centos.org/docs/2/rhl-ig-as-x86-en-2.1/ch-driverdisk.html

And 3ware offers a disk image download for 9690SA/RHEL5.

--
Jeff

Old 06-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Ruslan Sivak

Jeff wrote:

[...]

Thank you. I noticed that they said in the docs to install by using
linux dd. 3ware provides a zip file with the drivers, not a disk image,
AFAIK. I burned the contents of the zip to a cd, but anaconda fails to
recognize it. It keeps complaining about not being able to find a fat
or a ext3 filesystem on the driver disk.

I don't have a floppy drive, only a cdrom and a flash drive. Do I need
to get a floppy drive in order for this to work?

Russ

Old 06-06-2008, 05:38 PM
"Victor Padro"

I successfully installed CentOS on 3ware 9650SE controller. *Due to some

issues with compatibility with my motherboard, I replaced it with a

9690SA.

Now the system won't boot (although interestingly enough, it find the

boot

menu fine, just won't boot past a certain point in the bootup phase.

I thought I would reinstall, but anaconda doesn't find the raid array.

3ware does have drivers on their site, but I'm not too sure how to get

them

on my system?

* * * *

That controller requires a newer version of the 3ware driver. I'm

pretty sure the 5.2 will have that driver. So if you can wait a bit

longer...

Regards,

Tim

* * *

For production use, I can, but currently we are testing these servers, and I

would like to get them up and running. *Is there a way to load a driver on

an already running system, or load it for anaconda? *Something similar to F6

in windows?

* *

*

Thank you. *I noticed that they said in the docs to install by using linux dd. *3ware provides a zip file with the drivers, not a disk image, AFAIK. *I burned the contents of the zip to a cd, but anaconda fails to recognize it. *It keeps complaining about not being able to find a fat or a ext3 filesystem on the driver disk.

I don't have a floppy drive, only a cdrom and a flash drive. *Do I need to get a floppy drive in order for this to work?

Russ

Perhaps you can download RHEL 5.2 from Red Hat Network, if you are a customer there will be no problem but if you're not, maybe you can sign out for 30 day trial and then download the ISOs, burn it and test your box and share your results, it will be enough time for CentOS 5.2 to be available, so then you can be sure to run a production system.

https://www.redhat.com/wapps/sso/rhn/login.html?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Frhn.redhat.com%2F rhn%2Fsoftware%2Fchannel%2Fdownloads%2FDownload.do %3Fcid=6949

I got almost the same issue with an Asus mainboard...that's my 2 cents.

Cya.

Victor.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Ruslan Sivak

Victor Padro wrote:

[...]

It's probably a good idea for me to know how to do this from scratch.
Plus I want to see if there's a difference in performance between the
stock driver and the 3ware driver.
I'm going to try giving 3ware a call to see how to install this. Their
support is usually excellent.

Russ

Old 06-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Scott Silva

on 6-6-2008 10:48 AM Ruslan Sivak spake the following:

Tim Verhoeven wrote:

[...]

I don't think their driver is better, as they regularly refresh their driver
to the kernel maintainers. It is just that the newer cards take a bit of time
to get to the disk images.
Another thing you might be able to do is install to a drive that is not on the
raid card and install their driver and migrate to the array.

I just looked at their website, and they do have a driver disk image. If you
don't have a floppy, you can usually do a network install and get the driver
disk image also from the network.

It is in the install docs I believe.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 06-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Ruslan Sivak

Victor Padro wrote:

[...]

The ones on their standard download page are not compatible with Xen
kernels according to the release notes. The ones to be used for Xen
kernels on x64 is this one: http://www.3ware.com/KB/article.aspx?id=15257

That only has a zip file, not an image file.

Russ

Old 06-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Scott Silva

The ones on their standard download page are not compatible with Xen
kernels according to the release notes. The ones to be used for Xen
kernels on x64 is this one: http://www.3ware.com/KB/article.aspx?id=15257

That only has a zip file, not an image file.

Russ
Then you might just have to wait, or do a base install to a separate drive,
install the driver, and migrate the whole thing to the raid.
Or just run the base OS off of the separate drive for the initial tests and
keep the Domu images on the raid array. Either way, 5.2 will probably (maybe?)
be out by the 3rd week of June.