Old 06-06-2008, 03:41 PM
"Stephen Moccio"

Default Dell 1950 Perc 6/i with centos 4.5

We are currently running CentOS 4.5 on older Dell Systems. We
are upgrading to Dell PowerEdge 1950 with a PERC 6/i raid controller.

*

CentOS 4.5 installation does not see the PERC 6/i
controller. Dell and* LSI Logic only support RHEL 4U6 and higher and SuSe.

*

I’ve tried building the boot images with the new
driver for installation but kickstart still doesn’t see the raid
controller. I’ve also used the DRIVERDISK directive within kickstart but
that didn’t work either.

*

Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone have any
suggestions on what I might try next?

*

Appreciate any help.

*

Thanks,

*Steve Moccio

* uReach Technologies

Old 06-06-2008, 03:43 PM
"Tim Verhoeven"

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 5:41 PM, Stephen Moccio <smoccio@ureach.com> wrote:
> We are currently running CentOS 4.5 on older Dell Systems. We are upgrading
> to Dell PowerEdge 1950 with a PERC 6/i raid controller.
>

> CentOS 4.5 installation does not see the PERC 6/i controller. Dell and LSI
> Logic only support RHEL 4U6 and higher and SuSe.

Well, if RHEL 4U6 is supported, then just use CentOS 4.6 instead of
4.5 and the install will work.

Regards,
Tim

(Linus Torvalds)

Old 06-06-2008, 04:05 PM
"nate"

Tim Verhoeven wrote:

> Well, if RHEL 4U6 is supported, then just use CentOS 4.6 instead of
> 4.5 and the install will work.

Yes this is the case..and if for some reason you need more evidence:

[root@me ~]# lspci -v | grep -i perc
Subsystem: Dell PERC 6/i Integrated RAID Controller
[root@me ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 4.6 (Final)
[root@me ~]# dmidecode | grep -i 1950
Product Name: PowerEdge 1950

nate

Old 06-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Scott Silva

on 6-6-2008 8:43 AM Tim Verhoeven spake the following:

We are currently running CentOS 4.5 on older Dell Systems. We are upgrading
to Dell PowerEdge 1950 with a PERC 6/i raid controller.

CentOS 4.5 installation does not see the PERC 6/i controller. Dell and LSI
Logic only support RHEL 4U6 and higher and SuSe.

Well, if RHEL 4U6 is supported, then just use CentOS 4.6 instead of
4.5 and the install will work.

Regards,
Tim

Dope!
_ ,___,-'",-=-.
__,-- _ _,-'_)_ (""`'-._ `.
_,' __ |,' ,-' __) ,- /. |
,'_,--' | -' _)/ `
,',' ,' ,-'_,` :
,' ,-' ,(,-( :
,' ,-' , _ ;
/ ,-._/`---' /
/ (____)(----. ) ,'
/ ( `.__, / /,
: ;-.___ /__/|
| ,' `--. -, |
: / .__/
(__ |_
,`-, * / _|,
,' `-. ,'_,-'
(_,-' ,'")--,'-' __
/ // ,'| ,--' `-.
`-. `-/ ' | _,' `.
`-._ / `--'/
-hrr- ,' |
/ |
,-' | /
/ | -'

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 06-06-2008, 05:31 PM
"Steve Moccio"

Yes, Thanks.

What I forgot to mention was that I need to run CentOS 4.5 and
not CentOS 4.6 if at all possible.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Scott Silva

on 6-6-2008 10:31 AM Steve Moccio spake the following:

Yes, Thanks.

What I forgot to mention was that I need to run CentOS 4.5 and
not CentOS 4.6 if at all possible.

As soon as it yum updates, it will be 4.6 anyway.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:45 PM
John R Pierce

Steve Moccio wrote:

Yes, Thanks.

What I forgot to mention was that I need to run CentOS 4.5 and
not CentOS 4.6 if at all possible.

its just CentOS 4, with the 6th quarterly patch rollup, as others said,
as soon as you yum update (or, on RHEL, up2date -u), you'll have the
same thing.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:48 PM
John R Pierce

Steve Moccio wrote:

Yes, Thanks.

What I forgot to mention was that I need to run CentOS 4.5 and
not CentOS 4.6 if at all possible.

I suppose you could just

# yum update kernel

this should bring in whatever it is that is needed to support the newer
controller, without patching anything else.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:19 PM
"Steve Moccio"

Jeff,

I cant thank you enough. I not only did this for the kernel but
I did this for the pxeboot's jumpstart installation of 4.5.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

---- On Sat, 7 Jun 2008, Jeff Collins (jeff@chpscchome.org)