Old 06-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Jerry Geis

Default kernel compile for i586

nate wrote:
> Jerry Geis wrote:
>> I created a i586 install image with qemu.
>> I downloaded the SRPMS package for the kernel and installed it.
>> I cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
>> rpmbuild -bp --target i586 kernelXXX.spec
>> I does a bunch of things but it did not build a new kernel and put it in
>> /boot
>>
>> I think I am missing a command to actually BUILD the kernel.
>> What is it?
>
> try rpmbuild -bb instead of -bp

And dont forget the patches to make it build on i586

What do you mean, I thought specifying the --target would apply the
right patches?

What else do I need?

Jerry

Old 06-05-2008, 09:51 PM
"nate"

Jerry Geis wrote:

> What do you mean, I thought specifying the --target would apply the
> right patches?
> What else do I need?

Coming in at the end of the thread I'm not sure what the original
question(s) were about but in my experience if the patches are referenced
in the spec file, using rpmbuild -bb (or -ba to build a new src rpm as
well), applies all the right patches automatically.

nate

Old 06-05-2008, 09:53 PM
Johnny Hughes

Jerry Geis wrote:

nate wrote:
>/ Jerry Geis wrote:
/>>/ I created a i586 install image with qemu.
/>>/ I downloaded the SRPMS package for the kernel and installed it.
/>>/ I cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
/>>/ rpmbuild -bp --target i586 kernelXXX.spec
/>>/ I does a bunch of things but it did not build a new kernel and
put it in

/>>/ /boot
/>>/
/>>/ I think I am missing a command to actually BUILD the kernel.
/>>/ What is it?
/>/ />/ try rpmbuild -bb instead of -bp
/>/ /
And dont forget the patches to make it build on i586

What do you mean, I thought specifying the --target would apply the
right patches?

What else do I need?

if this is centos-3 or 4, nothing else is needed. If it is centos-5,
that kernel will not build an i586 target