-   -   kernel compile for i586 (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/101567-kernel-compile-i586.html)

Jerry Geis 06-05-2008 09:46 PM

kernel compile for i586

nate wrote:
> Jerry Geis wrote:
>> I created a i586 install image with qemu.
>> I downloaded the SRPMS package for the kernel and installed it.
>> I cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
>> rpmbuild -bp --target i586 kernelXXX.spec
>> I does a bunch of things but it did not build a new kernel and put it in
>> /boot
>>
>> I think I am missing a command to actually BUILD the kernel.
>> What is it?
>
> try rpmbuild -bb instead of -bp

And dont forget the patches to make it build on i586 :D

What do you mean, I thought specifying the --target would apply the
right patches?

What else do I need?

Jerry

"nate" 06-05-2008 09:51 PM

kernel compile for i586

Jerry Geis wrote:

> What do you mean, I thought specifying the --target would apply the
> right patches?
> What else do I need?

Coming in at the end of the thread I'm not sure what the original
question(s) were about but in my experience if the patches are referenced
in the spec file, using rpmbuild -bb (or -ba to build a new src rpm as
well), applies all the right patches automatically.

nate

Johnny Hughes 06-05-2008 09:53 PM

kernel compile for i586

Jerry Geis wrote:

nate wrote:
>/ Jerry Geis wrote:
/>>/ I created a i586 install image with qemu.
/>>/ I downloaded the SRPMS package for the kernel and installed it.
/>>/ I cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
/>>/ rpmbuild -bp --target i586 kernelXXX.spec
/>>/ I does a bunch of things but it did not build a new kernel and
put it in

/>>/ /boot
/>>/
/>>/ I think I am missing a command to actually BUILD the kernel.
/>>/ What is it?
/>/ />/ try rpmbuild -bb instead of -bp
/>/ /
And dont forget the patches to make it build on i586 :D

What do you mean, I thought specifying the --target would apply the
right patches?

What else do I need?

if this is centos-3 or 4, nothing else is needed. If it is centos-5,
that kernel will not build an i586 target