Old 06-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Jerry Geis

Default isolinux on a pendrive from disk 1

Jerry Geis wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just grabbed an 8gig thumb drive, took disk 1 centos 4 i386,
> copied the isolinux directory files to my thumbdrive, then ran syslinux
> -sf /dev/sdc1
> on the device plugged it into my laptop and it does not boot.
>
> Is there a step(s) I am missing to get a bootable thumbdrive with centos?

I think you also need to add a boot sector to the drive. On my 64-bit system:

#dd if=/usr/lib64/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sdc

After doing your suggestion I get

same thing it just sets there with a blinking cursor.

Jerry

Old 06-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Jerry Geis

Jerry Geis wrote:

Jerry Geis wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just grabbed an 8gig thumb drive, took disk 1 centos 4 i386,
> copied the isolinux directory files to my thumbdrive, then ran syslinux
> -sf /dev/sdc1
> on the device plugged it into my laptop and it does not boot.
>
> Is there a step(s) I am missing to get a bootable thumbdrive with centos?

I think you also need to add a boot sector to the drive. On my 64-bit system:

#dd if=/usr/lib64/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sdc

After doing your suggestion I get

same thing it just sets there with a blinking cursor.

Jerry

I took an older 512MEG usb instead of my 8 GIG one,

did the exact same steps and I get

Could not find boot image: linux

I copied all files what is missing?

Jerry

Old 06-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Kirk Bocek

Jerry Geis wrote:

Jerry Geis wrote:

Jerry Geis wrote:
>/ Hi
/>/

/
I think you also need to add a boot sector to the drive. On my 64-bit system:

#dd if=/usr/lib64/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sdc

After doing your suggestion I get
same thing it just sets there with a blinking cursor.

Jerry

I took an older 512MEG usb instead of my 8 GIG one,
did the exact same steps and I get
Could not find boot image: linux

I copied all files what is missing?

It was just a guess. There were several more steps I have needed to do in the
past in order to get Fedora Live CDs to boot off of thumb drives. I wish I
could find the link but all I find now are instructions to use a Fedora script
to create the thumb drive -- a script that doesn't seem to be immediately
available for CentOS or RHEL.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Jerry Geis

Jerry Geis wrote:

Jerry Geis wrote:

Jerry Geis wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just grabbed an 8gig thumb drive, took disk 1 centos 4 i386,
> copied the isolinux directory files to my thumbdrive, then ran syslinux
> -sf /dev/sdc1
> on the device plugged it into my laptop and it does not boot.
>
> Is there a step(s) I am missing to get a bootable thumbdrive with centos?

I think you also need to add a boot sector to the drive. On my 64-bit system:

#dd if=/usr/lib64/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sdc

After doing your suggestion I get

same thing it just sets there with a blinking cursor.

Jerry

I took an older 512MEG usb instead of my 8 GIG one,

did the exact same steps and I get

Could not find boot image: linux

I copied all files what is missing?

Jerry

Interesting on the 512M device I copied the vmlzi586 to linux and it
starts to boot.... great...

Now how do I get the 8GIG part to boot?

Jerry

Old 06-05-2008, 08:09 PM
"Ross S. W. Walker"

Jerry Geis wrote:

> Jerry Geis wrote:
>
> Jerry Geis wrote:
>
> Jerry Geis wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I just grabbed an 8gig thumb drive, took disk 1 centos 4 i386,
> > copied the isolinux directory files to my thumbdrive, then ran syslinux
> > -sf /dev/sdc1
> > on the device plugged it into my laptop and it does not boot.
> >
> > Is there a step(s) I am missing to get a bootable thumbdrive with centos?
>
> I think you also need to add a boot sector to the drive. On my 64-bit system:
>
> #dd if=/usr/lib64/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sdc
>

> After doing your suggestion I get
> same thing it just sets there with a blinking cursor.
>
> Jerry
>

> I took an older 512MEG usb instead of my 8 GIG one,
> did the exact same steps and I get
> Could not find boot image: linux
>
> I copied all files what is missing?
>
> Jerry
>

> Interesting on the 512M device I copied the vmlzi586 to linux
> and it starts to boot.... great...
> Now how do I get the 8GIG part to boot?

Is there a valid MBR on the flash device?

-Ross

Old 06-05-2008, 08:26 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>I wish I could find the link but all I find now are instructions to use a Fedora script
>to create the thumb drive -- a script that doesn't seem to be immediately
>available for CentOS or RHEL.

I used the rpm referenced off this site if I recall right...
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/LiveCDHowTo
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo

jlc

Old 06-06-2008, 02:43 AM
"Jason Hartley"

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just grabbed an 8gig thumb drive, took disk 1 centos 4 i386,
> copied the isolinux directory files to my thumbdrive, then ran syslinux -sf
> /dev/sdc1
> on the device plugged it into my laptop and it does not boot.
>
> Is there a step(s) I am missing to get a bootable thumbdrive with centos?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jerry

If your goal is to boot off the USB stick and install I have does the
following steps recently with a 4gig flash drive:

1. Need to setup the MBR
- ex. cat /usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin > /dev/sdb
2. Use fdisk to create two partitions and make the first bootable:
- The first should be 14 megs, fs type should be set to "b" (W95 FAT32)
- The second can be the rest of the drive
- Make sure set the boot flag on the first partition (many
instructions I found on the web did not mention and it was key)
3. Now you need to dd off the bootdisk.img on the first disk to the
first partition:
- ex. dd if=/mnt/images/diskboot.img /dev/sdb1

At this point you should have a bootable flash drive and have the
option of creating a file system on the second partition then adding
the ISO(s) to it along with a kickstart config file. I used the
aboved steps on a 4gig stick and was able to put a custom kickstart
config file, along with a DVD iso on the second partition.

Good luck!

-Jason

Old 06-06-2008, 03:16 AM
Kirk Bocek

Jason Hartley wrote:

[...]

How about authoring a HowTo page on the wiki? This is some good stuff I
haven't seen documented anywhere. That's a great idea to use diskboot.img on
one partition with the install image on a second partition.