Old 06-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Timothy Selivanow

Default vsftpd and active mode connections causes FTP session to hang

I've encountered an odd error state that I haven't been able to resolve
yet. I have a customer that, for what ever reason, wants to use active
mode occasionally for FTP xfers. What they have noticed, is that after
you switch to active, and issue a command (they do 'ls', I've done other
things like 'put' and 'get', etc.), the connection hangs. If you wait a
bit it returns with a "425 Failed to establish connection". I've tried
this on three hosts so far (all CentOS 5) and they all behave the same,
some of which there is effectively no firewall (all traffic is allowed
from my workstation to the host, and no restrictions on exiting
traffic).

All google searches about this behavour thus far have talked about old
versions of vsftpd or using filesystems such as FAT, which don't apply
in all cases. Any ideas?

--Tim
/ bureaucracy, n:
A method for transforming energy into solid waste. /

Old 06-06-2008, 02:53 AM
"Filipe Brandenburger"

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 2:05 PM, Timothy Selivanow
<timothy.selivanow@virtualxistenz.com> wrote:
> things like 'put' and 'get', etc.), the connection hangs. If you wait a
> bit it returns with a "425 Failed to establish connection". I've tried

Is the FTP client behind NAT? If it is then active FTP won't work,
since the client will request the server to connect to the internal
IP.

HTH,
Filipe