-   -   centos 4 on ebox 2300sx (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/101444-centos-4-ebox-2300sx.html)

Jerry Geis 06-05-2008 05:58 PM

centos 4 on ebox 2300sx

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 12:43 -0400, Jerry Geis wrote:
> I am attempting to install centos 4.4 on an ebox 2300sx.
> I start with "i586 text" everything starts up and then I get:
> No coprocessor found and no math emulation present.
>
> How do I get math emulation?

You build a kernel with math emulation enabled.

Huh, cute machine. Too bad about the copro though.

I was wondering is there an older centos version that has emulation
already built in?

Which one ? I am not stuck on using 4

THanks,

Jerry

John R Pierce 06-05-2008 06:09 PM

centos 4 on ebox 2300sx

Jerry Geis wrote:
I was wondering is there an older centos version that has emulation
already built in?

Which one ? I am not stuck on using 4

CentOS 3 has only i586 and i686 kernels, those both rely on hardware FP

no, I think you'll need to build your own kernel RPMs for that one, or
use a different sort of distro entirely. You'll need a i386 kernel, as
that was the last CPU which had external/optional FP.

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams 06-05-2008 06:22 PM

centos 4 on ebox 2300sx

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 11:09 -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> Jerry Geis wrote:
> > I was wondering is there an older centos version that has emulation
> > already built in?
> > Which one ? I am not stuck on using 4
>
> CentOS 3 has only i586 and i686 kernels, those both rely on hardware FP
>

> no, I think you'll need to build your own kernel RPMs for that one, or
> use a different sort of distro entirely. You'll need a i386 kernel, as
> that was the last CPU which had external/optional FP.

ISTR that you could enable FPU emulation on any arch, and it would be
ignored if a FPU was present. Has this changed?

John R Pierce 06-05-2008 06:35 PM

centos 4 on ebox 2300sx

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
no, I think you'll need to build your own kernel RPMs for that one, or
use a different sort of distro entirely. You'll need a i386 kernel, as
that was the last CPU which had external/optional FP.

ISTR that you could enable FPU emulation on any arch, and it would be
ignored if a FPU was present. Has this changed?

right, but standard kernels built for i686 or whatever are likely to
ASSUME they have hardware FPU as every PentiumPro and newer CPU had this.