Old 06-05-2008, 03:30 PM
James Bunnell

Default kernels and irc

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 09:57 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:

James Bunnell wrote:
> I was in the #centos-social channel and simply stated that I noticed
> CentOS 3-4 were getting a lot of updates. I also stated that the CentOS
> 5 was one kernel behind, as in RHEL it is at -53, the gentlemen then
> told me that I was wrong and it was at -21. I then asked if there was a
> way to get a progress report somehow on 5.2, and that 5.2 has already
> upgraded that kernel. The result was that I was banned for being
> correct. I dont understand this kind of support.

You are NOT correct ...

The latest NON 5.2 kernel is:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Client/en/os/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.18-53.1.21.el5.src.rpm

looks like -53 to me

The latest 5.2 kernel is:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Client/en/os/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5.src.rpm

this is a new kernel as of today, may 22 compilation date

As far as being banned on an IRC Channel ... I am sure you were warned
first. CentOS is manned by volunteers. If you want to argue with the
people who are on IRC after they tell you not to, then you will be banned.

yes i was warned, however, can they not admit when they are wrong? and because its volunteers (like debian), all the more reason to be professional.

The CentOS project trusts the judgment of our forum moderators and our
IRC ops ... if they ban you then you are banned. We are not a for
profit company where you pay us for service and can be disrespectful to
our employees.* You will instead have to be polite in your disagreements.

i have been polite for weeks. i finally had a enough of being polite and just being told, 'it will be release when its ready.' that is not a professional answer. is it too much to ask for an update?

If this is a problem, I suggest that you find a paid for service
contract where you can be rude to the people with whom you interact.

i do pay for rhel. i made the mistake of converting to centos. damage is done. on the next major upgrade, i will return to rhel and will not professionally recommend centos either privately,personally, or in the realm of a business. thanks for seeing my side of the issue and not jumping on the elite bandwagon. i am done.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes

Old 06-05-2008, 03:31 PM
James Bunnell

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 15:54 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:

James Bunnell wrote:
> I was in the #centos-social channel and simply stated that I noticed
> CentOS 3-4 were getting a lot of updates. I also stated that the CentOS
> 5 was one kernel behind, as in RHEL it is at -53, the gentlemen then
> told me that I was wrong and it was at -21. I then asked if there was a
> way to get a progress report somehow on 5.2, and that 5.2 has already
> upgraded that kernel. The result was that I was banned for being
> correct. I dont understand this kind of support.

Progress report on 5.2 : it will be ready in a few days, expect release
in a few weeks.

thank you, this is all i have asked for, and no one until now has had an update since the planet.centos.org posting. thanks.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:35 PM
"Ross S. W. Walker"

James Bunnell wrote:

> i do pay for rhel. i made the mistake of converting to
> centos. damage is done. on the next major upgrade, i will
> return to rhel and will not professionally recommend centos
> either privately,personally, or in the realm of a business.
> thanks for seeing my side of the issue and not jumping on the
> elite bandwagon. i am done.

Community base OSS solutions are not for everyone. Only the
end-user can decide if it works for them or not. I hope you will
see that once the anger subsides.

-Ross

Old 06-05-2008, 03:39 PM
James Bunnell

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 10:59 -0400, Jim Perrin wrote:

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 10:35 AM, James Bunnell
<jbunnell@belencomputers.com> wrote:
> I was in the #centos-social channel and simply stated that I noticed CentOS
> 3-4 were getting a lot of updates. I also stated that the CentOS 5 was one
> kernel behind, as in RHEL it is at -53, the gentlemen then told me that I
> was wrong and it was at -21. I then asked if there was a way to get a
> progress report somehow on 5.2, and that 5.2 has already upgraded that
> kernel. The result was that I was banned for being correct. I dont
> understand this kind of support.

Actually no. I banned you for 15 minutes because you were being
profane, pedantic about verbiage. The user trying to help you had
already complained about typos and such, and was using kernel
shorthand since the -53.1. is common to the more recent kernels being
discussed at the time. I warned you twice to stop being quite so
pedantic, kicked you twice (since you were unwilling to take the hint
the first time) and finally resorted to the ban when you began to spew
insults and profanity. If you want support from folks who will take
verbal abuse, buy a RHEL license. Otherwise, play by the channel rules
and be nice to others (yes, for those of you who know me, I *can* say
that with a straight face most of the time).

Crying about an irc ban on the mailing list is simply a way to have
the last word. If you want it, it's yours. The ban was temporary to
allow all parties time to cool down, and I'm done with the entire
issue. Hopefully you are as well.

that being said, irc is a poor representation of centos, i have enjoyed the mailing list and have mostly lurked here. i think you overreact to simple questions that could be answered very simply with an intelligent updated answer rather that was said and this whole thing would have been avoided. you did not try to help, you simply threw warnings and said nothing.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:42 PM
James Bunnell

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 17:00 +0200, Ralph Angenendt wrote:

James Bunnell wrote:
> I was in the #centos-social channel and simply stated that I noticed
> CentOS 3-4 were getting a lot of updates. I also stated that the CentOS
> 5 was one kernel behind, as in RHEL it is at -53, the gentlemen then
> told me that I was wrong and it was at -21.

lftp ftp.redhat.com:/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS> ls kernel* > kernel.list
lftp ftp.redhat.com:/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS> exit
[angenenr@shutdown ~]$grep 53 kernel.list
-rw-rw-r-- 2 ftp ftp 54464006 Feb 12 14:37 kernel-2.6.18-53.1.13.el5.src.rpm
-rw-rw-r-- 2 ftp ftp 54492476 Mar 03 09:40 kernel-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5.src.rpm
-rw-rw-r-- 2 ftp ftp 54521781 May 04 07:52 kernel-2.6.18-53.1.19.el5.src.rpm
-rw-rw-r-- 2 ftp ftp 54540423 May 19 09:58 kernel-2.6.18-53.1.21.el5.src.rpm
-rw-rw-r-- 2 ftp ftp 54421174 Nov 28 2007 kernel-2.6.18-53.1.4.el5.src.rpm
-rw-rw-r-- 2 ftp ftp 54461630 Jan 18 11:29 kernel-2.6.18-53.1.6.el5.src.rpm
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ftp ftp 54386174 Oct 11 2007 kernel-2.6.18-53.el5.src.rpm
[angenenr@shutdown ~]$

So which kernel would that -53 be? The one from October 11th, 2007?

look like they are all -53 to me, i dont see the point.

> I then asked if there was a way to get a progress report somehow on
> 5.2, and that 5.2 has already upgraded that kernel. The result was
> that I was banned for being correct.

a) #centos-social is not a support channel, as that channel's topic
clearly states.

b) The ban was *not* for you being correct (because you are not, 5.2
will have 2.6.18-92, but for your behaviour over the last days/weeks and
your *constantly* asking about progress on 5.2 (and getting the answer
everybody getsdoes, see http://planet.centos.org/).

> I dont understand this kind of support.

I don't understand why you came here to whine about that.*&#-1;&#-1;

weeks,days, ive been quiet. i believe you too have overreacted. its been nearly 2 weeks since any update of progress to 5.2 has been announced. why would that be rude or wrong to ask for? and btw, i am not the only one that has asked for an update. and ive been polite in my initial questions. response determines response.

Ralph

Old 06-05-2008, 03:45 PM
James Bunnell

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 11:35 -0400, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:

James Bunnell wrote:

> i do pay for rhel. i made the mistake of converting to
> centos. damage is done. on the next major upgrade, i will
> return to rhel and will not professionally recommend centos
> either privately,personally, or in the realm of a business.
> thanks for seeing my side of the issue and not jumping on the
> elite bandwagon. i am done.

Community base OSS solutions are not for everyone. Only the
end-user can decide if it works for them or not. I hope you will
see that once the anger subsides.

-Ross

community based OSS also require a level of professionalism and support. if simple questions like asking for an update to the progress of a project or stating someone may be in error upsets one of the members of that project, maybe that person should not be involved.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 09:45:36AM -0600, James Bunnell wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 11:35 -0400, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
>
> James Bunnell wrote:
>
> > i do pay for rhel. i made the mistake of converting to
> > centos. damage is done. on the next major upgrade, i will
> > return to rhel and will not professionally recommend centos
> > either privately,personally, or in the realm of a business.
> > thanks for seeing my side of the issue and not jumping on the
> > elite bandwagon. i am done.
>
> Community base OSS solutions are not for everyone. Only the
> end-user can decide if it works for them or not. I hope you will
> see that once the anger subsides.
>
> -Ross
>

> community based OSS also require a level of professionalism and support. if
> simple questions like asking for an update to the progress of a project or
> stating someone may be in error upsets one of the members of that project,
> maybe that person should not be involved.

No, it doesn't require *anything*. That said, CentOS does provide
professionalism and support, but by no means is it a requirement.

I would agree though, it sounds like RH is a better choice for your
needs, and more specifically, a better fit for your method of
interaction.

You're not going to find many volunteers who react well to being cursed
at or otherwise abused verbally.

Ray

Old 06-05-2008, 03:54 PM
James Bunnell

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 08:48 -0700, Ray Van Dolson wrote:

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 09:45:36AM -0600, James Bunnell wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 11:35 -0400, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
>
> James Bunnell wrote:
>
> > i do pay for rhel. i made the mistake of converting to
> > centos. damage is done. on the next major upgrade, i will
> > return to rhel and will not professionally recommend centos
> > either privately,personally, or in the realm of a business.
> > thanks for seeing my side of the issue and not jumping on the
> > elite bandwagon. i am done.
>
> Community base OSS solutions are not for everyone. Only the
> end-user can decide if it works for them or not. I hope you will
> see that once the anger subsides.
>
> -Ross
>

> community based OSS also require a level of professionalism and support. if
> simple questions like asking for an update to the progress of a project or
> stating someone may be in error upsets one of the members of that project,
> maybe that person should not be involved.

No, it doesn't require *anything*. That said, CentOS does provide
professionalism and support, but by no means is it a requirement.

you expect people to use OSS and be treated like crap? being treated like crap is the competitor's job.

I would agree though, it sounds like RH is a better choice for your
needs, and more specifically, a better fit for your method of
interaction.

You're not going to find many volunteers who react well to being cursed
at or otherwise abused verbally.

and you're not going to find too many people in business that want to ask a question and are blatently put off.

Ray

Old 06-05-2008, 03:57 PM
"Martyn Drake"

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 4:54 PM, James Bunnell
<jbunnell@belencomputers.com> wrote:

> you expect people to use OSS and be treated like crap? being treated like
> crap is the competitor's job.

Regardless of OSS or professional paid support - *nobody* deserves to
receive abuse of any kind. If you dislike the way you've been
treated, you write and complain - nobody should ever need to resort to
swearing or insults. At all.

M.
--
Martyn Drake
http://www.drake.org.uk

Old 06-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Anne Wilson

On Thursday 05 June 2008 16:42:47 James Bunnell wrote:
> ts been
> nearly 2 weeks since any update of progress to 5.2 has been announced.

On May 22 it was estimated that it would take 3 weeks. Did you really need an
update on that?

Anne