Old 06-05-2008, 02:35 PM
James Bunnell

Default kernels and irc

I was in the #centos-social channel and simply stated that I noticed CentOS 3-4 were getting a lot of updates. I also stated that the CentOS 5 was one kernel behind, as in RHEL it is at -53, the gentlemen then told me that I was wrong and it was at -21. I then asked if there was a way to get a progress report somehow on 5.2, and that 5.2 has already upgraded that kernel. The result was that I was banned for being correct. I dont understand this kind of support.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Karanbir Singh

James Bunnell wrote:

I was in the #centos-social channel and simply stated that I noticed
CentOS 3-4 were getting a lot of updates. I also stated that the CentOS
5 was one kernel behind, as in RHEL it is at -53, the gentlemen then
told me that I was wrong and it was at -21. I then asked if there was a
way to get a progress report somehow on 5.2, and that 5.2 has already
upgraded that kernel. The result was that I was banned for being
correct. I dont understand this kind of support.

Progress report on 5.2 : it will be ready in a few days, expect release
in a few weeks.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Johnny Hughes

James Bunnell wrote:

I was in the #centos-social channel and simply stated that I noticed
CentOS 3-4 were getting a lot of updates. I also stated that the CentOS
5 was one kernel behind, as in RHEL it is at -53, the gentlemen then
told me that I was wrong and it was at -21. I then asked if there was a
way to get a progress report somehow on 5.2, and that 5.2 has already
upgraded that kernel. The result was that I was banned for being
correct. I dont understand this kind of support.

You are NOT correct ...

The latest NON 5.2 kernel is:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Client/en/os/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.18-53.1.21.el5.src.rpm

The latest 5.2 kernel is:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Client/en/os/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5.src.rpm

As far as being banned on an IRC Channel ... I am sure you were warned
first. CentOS is manned by volunteers. If you want to argue with the
people who are on IRC after they tell you not to, then you will be banned.

The CentOS project trusts the judgment of our forum moderators and our
IRC ops ... if they ban you then you are banned. We are not a for
profit company where you pay us for service and can be disrespectful to
our employees. You will instead have to be polite in your disagreements.

If this is a problem, I suggest that you find a paid for service
contract where you can be rude to the people with whom you interact.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes

Old 06-05-2008, 02:59 PM
"Jim Perrin"

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 10:35 AM, James Bunnell
<jbunnell@belencomputers.com> wrote:
> I was in the #centos-social channel and simply stated that I noticed CentOS
> 3-4 were getting a lot of updates. I also stated that the CentOS 5 was one
> kernel behind, as in RHEL it is at -53, the gentlemen then told me that I
> was wrong and it was at -21. I then asked if there was a way to get a
> progress report somehow on 5.2, and that 5.2 has already upgraded that
> kernel. The result was that I was banned for being correct. I dont
> understand this kind of support.

Actually no. I banned you for 15 minutes because you were being
profane, pedantic about verbiage. The user trying to help you had
already complained about typos and such, and was using kernel
shorthand since the -53.1. is common to the more recent kernels being
discussed at the time. I warned you twice to stop being quite so
pedantic, kicked you twice (since you were unwilling to take the hint
the first time) and finally resorted to the ban when you began to spew
insults and profanity. If you want support from folks who will take
verbal abuse, buy a RHEL license. Otherwise, play by the channel rules
and be nice to others (yes, for those of you who know me, I *can* say
that with a straight face most of the time).

Crying about an irc ban on the mailing list is simply a way to have
the last word. If you want it, it's yours. The ban was temporary to
allow all parties time to cool down, and I'm done with the entire
issue. Hopefully you are as well.

George Orwell

Old 06-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Ralph Angenendt

James Bunnell wrote:
> I was in the #centos-social channel and simply stated that I noticed
> CentOS 3-4 were getting a lot of updates. I also stated that the CentOS
> 5 was one kernel behind, as in RHEL it is at -53, the gentlemen then
> told me that I was wrong and it was at -21.

lftp ftp.redhat.com:/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS> ls kernel* > kernel.list
lftp ftp.redhat.com:/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS> exit
[angenenr@shutdown ~]$grep 53 kernel.list
-rw-rw-r-- 2 ftp ftp 54464006 Feb 12 14:37 kernel-2.6.18-53.1.13.el5.src.rpm
-rw-rw-r-- 2 ftp ftp 54492476 Mar 03 09:40 kernel-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5.src.rpm
-rw-rw-r-- 2 ftp ftp 54521781 May 04 07:52 kernel-2.6.18-53.1.19.el5.src.rpm
-rw-rw-r-- 2 ftp ftp 54540423 May 19 09:58 kernel-2.6.18-53.1.21.el5.src.rpm
-rw-rw-r-- 2 ftp ftp 54421174 Nov 28 2007 kernel-2.6.18-53.1.4.el5.src.rpm
-rw-rw-r-- 2 ftp ftp 54461630 Jan 18 11:29 kernel-2.6.18-53.1.6.el5.src.rpm
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ftp ftp 54386174 Oct 11 2007 kernel-2.6.18-53.el5.src.rpm
[angenenr@shutdown ~]$

So which kernel would that -53 be? The one from October 11th, 2007?

> I then asked if there was a way to get a progress report somehow on
> 5.2, and that 5.2 has already upgraded that kernel. The result was
> that I was banned for being correct.

a) #centos-social is not a support channel, as that channel's topic
clearly states.

b) The ban was *not* for you being correct (because you are not, 5.2
will have 2.6.18-92, but for your behaviour over the last days/weeks and
your *constantly* asking about progress on 5.2 (and getting the answer
everybody getsdoes, see http://planet.centos.org/).

> I dont understand this kind of support.

I don't understand why you came here to whine about that.

Ralph