Old 06-05-2008, 03:27 AM
"Scott R. Ehrlich"

Default rpm -q versus what's installed

I am trying to install Oracle client 10g (10.2.0) on a 64-bit CentOS 5.0
system.

'rpm -q make gcc glibc etc' reveals some packages as "not installed", yet
a yum install <package name> consistently returns Nothing to do. Yum list
available <package name> yields nothing needed.

If rpm -q <list of packages> lists some that are "not installed" but every
variant of yum install and yum list I've tried and googled claiims nothing
more needs to be installed, either the OS is misreporting (I doubt that)
or I'm missing something that is not easily being revealed, or that I
haven't used in a long time and outright forgetting.

I still need (per rpm -q):

compat-gcc
compat-gcc-c++
compat-libstsdc++-devel
openmotif21
gnome-libs

There has been a suggestion of the version of Oracle (32 or 64 bit) I'm
trying to install, but after thinking about it, I believe this question is
a more fundamental operating system issue.

Thanks for any insight.

Scott

Old 06-05-2008, 09:56 AM
"William L. Maltby"

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 23:27 -0400, Scott R. Ehrlich wrote:
> I am trying to install Oracle client 10g (10.2.0) on a 64-bit CentOS 5.0
> system.
>
> 'rpm -q make gcc glibc etc' reveals some packages as "not installed", yet
> a yum install <package name> consistently returns Nothing to do. Yum list
> available <package name> yields nothing needed.
>
> If rpm -q <list of packages> lists some that are "not installed" but every
> variant of yum install and yum list I've tried and googled claiims nothing
> more needs to be installed, either the OS is misreporting (I doubt that)

Good, 'cause the OS has nothing to do with it! ;-) It's all the rpm
package and what sits on top of that, yum.

> or I'm missing something that is not easily being revealed, or that I
> haven't used in a long time and outright forgetting.

A common error is to not give the correct name to rpm. Try

rpm -qa | grep <part of the pkg name>

I often forget to add such trivial stuff as ".i386" to the package name.

Ditto for yum. Just do a yum list all into some file and then view the
file.

Also, yum list all into a file might be useful. It shows installed and
available.

> <snip>

HTH
--
Bill

Old 06-05-2008, 04:24 PM
"Marcelo Roccasalva"

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 6:56 AM, William L. Maltby
<CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 23:27 -0400, Scott R. Ehrlich wrote:
> > I am trying to install Oracle client 10g (10.2.0) on a 64-bit CentOS 5.0
> > system.
> >
> > 'rpm -q make gcc glibc etc' reveals some packages as "not installed", yet
> > a yum install <package name> consistently returns Nothing to do. Yum list
> > available <package name> yields nothing needed.
> >
> > If rpm -q <list of packages> lists some that are "not installed" but every
> > variant of yum install and yum list I've tried and googled claiims nothing
> > more needs to be installed, either the OS is misreporting (I doubt that)
>
> Good, 'cause the OS has nothing to do with it! ;-) It's all the rpm
> package and what sits on top of that, yum.
>
> > or I'm missing something that is not easily being revealed, or that I
> > haven't used in a long time and outright forgetting.
>
> A common error is to not give the correct name to rpm. Try
>
> rpm -qa | grep <part of the pkg name>
>
> I often forget to add such trivial stuff as ".i386" to the package name.

This is very important because in a 64 bits installation, you will
need some packages in 32 bits version also (rpm -qa will show you
duplicate names because of this). IIRC openmotif21 has 32 bits version
only.

By default, yum installs the default architecture (uname -i) but you
can "yum install compat-libstsdc++-devel.i386" if you need. To see the
architecture of installed packages: rpm -qa --qf
"%{N}-%{V}-%{R}.%{ARCH}
"

--
Marcelo

"¿No será acaso que ésta vida moderna está teniendo más de moderna que
de vida?" (Mafalda)

Old 06-05-2008, 06:17 PM
MHR

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 2:56 AM, William L. Maltby
<CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 23:27 -0400, Scott R. Ehrlich wrote:
>> I am trying to install Oracle client 10g (10.2.0) on a 64-bit CentOS 5.0
>> system.
>>
>> 'rpm -q make gcc glibc etc' reveals some packages as "not installed", yet
>> a yum install <package name> consistently returns Nothing to do. Yum list
>> available <package name> yields nothing needed.
>>
>> If rpm -q <list of packages> lists some that are "not installed" but every
>> variant of yum install and yum list I've tried and googled claiims nothing
>> more needs to be installed, either the OS is misreporting (I doubt that)
>> or I'm missing something that is not easily being revealed, or that I
>> haven't used in a long time and outright forgetting.
>
> A common error is to not give the correct name to rpm. Try
>
> rpm -qa | grep <part of the pkg name>
>
> I often forget to add such trivial stuff as ".i386" to the package name.
>
> Ditto for yum. Just do a yum list all into some file and then view the
> file.
>
> Also, yum list all into a file might be useful. It shows installed and
> available.

I have a couple of aliases you might find useful for this:

alias rg='rpm -qa | grep -i'
alias yg='yum list | grep -i'

They're not terribly efficient, but I don't use them that often,
either. Also, I have a setting in my .rpmmacros (or .rpmrc) file at
home that specifies to list the machine type along with the file name
- I can't remember it (or find it) right now, but I got it here, so
someone knows....

(Figures that I wouldn't have it here....)

HTH

mhr

Old 06-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Scott Silva

on 6-5-2008 11:17 AM MHR spake the following:

[...]

%_query_all_fmt %%{name}-%%{version}-%%{release}.%%{arch}
in your .rpmmacros file

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and