Old 06-05-2008, 12:15 AM
Jerry Geis

Default centos RS232 to IP port program

Hi all,

Is there a method in centos
where a program can be started that listens on a given IP port
and when something connects it will transfer data from the RS232 port
to the IP port. reads and writes of course.

Trying not to reinvent the wheel if I dont have to...

Thanks,

Jerry

Old 06-05-2008, 12:44 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Is there a method in centos
>where a program can be started that listens on a given IP port
>and when something connects it will transfer data from the RS232 port
>to the IP port. reads and writes of course.

Can't help you with a software solution, but Digi makes a hardware device
that does just this. Its rock solid, I use them. There are many cheaper to...

jlc

Old 06-05-2008, 04:57 AM
Les Mikesell

Jerry Geis wrote:

Hi all,

Is there a method in centos
where a program can be started that listens on a given IP port
and when something connects it will transfer data from the RS232 port
to the IP port. reads and writes of course.

Trying not to reinvent the wheel if I dont have to...

Something like this approach should work:

http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch/LINUX/TrinityOS/cHTML/TrinityOS-c-55.html#ss55.2

You could probably do something more complicated with kermit instead of
cu. If you need some kind of initialization as the connection starts,
kermit could do it with a script.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com