Old 06-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Scott Silva

Default 5.1 Anaconda Install Error SOLVED

on 6-4-2008 3:12 PM Kirk Bocek spake the following:

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Kirk Bocek wrote:

I didn't provide the details because it was strange that the
installation failed at the same point regardless of the booting method I
used. It felt like some basic mistake or mis-setting in the OS. But hey,
I've been wrong before.

Anything interesting on vc#1,3,4,5 ? how about run remote syslog and see
if anything interesting gets in there....

After wandering in the dark for two days, I found this posting:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=13334

This reminded me that although this is an all SATA system, I also have a
PATA tape drive installed.

The solution in the posting was to temporarily unplug the tape drive.
Rather than pull this host out of the rack for the umpteenth time, I
simply added to the installer's command line:

hda=none hdb=none

For some reason, the tape drive is installed as /dev/hdb. I'm not sure
what's at /dev/hda. If it's the DVD drive and I was installing from
physical media, that might be a problem. However, my PXE-boot install is
now flying along.

Kirk Bocek
With PATA the device ID is based on location. Hdb is the primary slave (slave
on first port). There doesn't have to be a hda.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 06-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Kirk Bocek

Scott Silva wrote:
With PATA the device ID is based on location. Hdb is the primary slave
(slave on first port). There doesn't have to be a hda.

I thought the point of master/slave in the IDE world was that the master was
acting as the controller for the slave. If that's the case, how can you have a
slave without a master?

Old 06-05-2008, 09:47 AM
"William L. Maltby"

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 16:56 -0700, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> Scott Silva wrote:
> > With PATA the device ID is based on location. Hdb is the primary slave
> > (slave on first port). There doesn't have to be a hda.
>
> I thought the point of master/slave in the IDE world was that the master was
> acting as the controller for the slave. If that's the case, how can you have a
> slave without a master?

It's not truly any relationship like that. It's just (in the old days) a
device ID selected on the cable by jumpers on the drive. The "control"
is nothing more than the IDE controller selecting either "0" or "1"
device ID for commands and data. The drive with the matching ID responds
while the other ignores.

In todays world, cable select might provide the ID assignment.

I'm not sure how "master" and "slave" came to be used in this scenario,
unless it had to do with BIOS boot processes back in the old days.

--
Bill

Old 06-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Kirk Bocek

William L. Maltby wrote:

It's not truly any relationship like that. It's just (in the old days) a
device ID selected on the cable by jumpers on the drive. The "control"
is nothing more than the IDE controller selecting either "0" or "1"
device ID for commands and data. The drive with the matching ID responds
while the other ignores.

In todays world, cable select might provide the ID assignment.

I'm not sure how "master" and "slave" came to be used in this scenario,
unless it had to do with BIOS boot processes back in the old days.

Well, right you are. Scroll down to "Master and Slave Clarification":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_Drive_Electronics

I had been laboring under the impression that the 'master' drive controlled
both drives on a single cable. Now I've learned the truth just in time for
SATA to take over.