Old 06-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Chris Boyd

Default yum upgrade 4.3 -> current ?

Got a box running 4.3 x86 and we're trying up get it updated to 4.6,
but yum is consuming all available memory (1GB) and swap (2GB), and
then the oom starts killing processes.

I've disabled all the optional repositories, done yum clean all, and
still have the same problem even if I try to just update a specific
package.

Google got me this link, but no obvious resolution:
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?
forum=8&topic_id=5588&viewmode=flat

Any pointers appreciated.

--Chris

Old 06-04-2008, 09:43 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 16:23 -0500, Chris Boyd wrote:
> Got a box running 4.3 x86 and we're trying up get it updated to 4.6,
> but yum is consuming all available memory (1GB) and swap (2GB), and
> then the oom starts killing processes.
>
> I've disabled all the optional repositories, done yum clean all, and
> still have the same problem even if I try to just update a specific
> package.
>
> Google got me this link, but no obvious resolution:
> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?
> forum=8&topic_id=5588&viewmode=flat
>
> Any pointers appreciated.

Processing a huge number of dependancies (very likely going from
4.3->4.6) will use huge amounts. I would first upgrade yum itself (IIRC,
the sqlite changed).

Then, pay attention to the dependancy processing output and pick a few
packages at a time to upgrade. After a few passes like this, you should
be able to revert to the normal update processing.

Another strategy that might or might not work is to go to runlevel 3
(telinit 3) that eliminates all the graphical stuff and run from a
normal VT. If you don't have swap enabled, make a swap partition or file
of decent size and try that.

> --Chris
> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--
Bill

Old 06-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Chris Boyd

Processing a huge number of dependancies (very likely going from
4.3->4.6) will use huge amounts. I would first upgrade yum itself
(IIRC,

the sqlite changed).

Tried that with a "yum -y update yum" but we're still getting clobbered.

Then, pay attention to the dependancy processing output and pick a few
packages at a time to upgrade. After a few passes like this, you
should

be able to revert to the normal update processing.

Good suggestion--I'll remember that if I ever get to the point where
it's starting to work :-)

Another strategy that might or might not work is to go to runlevel 3
(telinit 3) that eliminates all the graphical stuff and run from a
normal VT. If you don't have swap enabled, make a swap partition or
file

of decent size and try that.

We're already there--no X is installed or running. Swap partition is
set to 2GB--I suppose that I could add another swap file and see if
that gets me over the hump.

Yum is choking at the point where it print the first "processing
primary.xml.gz"

--Chris

Old 06-04-2008, 10:14 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 16:51 -0500, Chris Boyd wrote:
> On Jun 4, 2008, at 4:43 PM, William L. Maltby wrote:
>
> > Processing a huge number of dependancies (very likely going from
> > 4.3->4.6) will use huge amounts. I would first upgrade yum itself
> > (IIRC,
> > the sqlite changed).
>
> Tried that with a "yum -y update yum" but we're still getting clobbered.

Did yum or sqlite get updated or did it dump on you there too?

> <snip>

> > Another strategy that might or might not work is to go to runlevel 3
> > (telinit 3) that eliminates all the graphical stuff and run from a
> > normal VT. If you don't have swap enabled, make a swap partition or
> > file
> > of decent size and try that.
>
> We're already there--no X is installed or running. Swap partition is
> set to 2GB--I suppose that I could add another swap file and see if
> that gets me over the hump.
>
> Yum is choking at the point where it print the first "processing
> primary.xml.gz"

I don't know that much about the yum process. But if it bombs there, I
would enable some more verbosity and see if it gives any clues about
where in there it is failing. Maybe you have some extra repos enabled
that cause excessive memory usage at that step? If that's related (I
don't know) you might disable all the repos but the base an updates as a
first step and see if at lease the basic stuff can get done.

> --Chris
> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--
Bill

Old 06-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Craig White

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 16:51 -0500, Chris Boyd wrote:
> On Jun 4, 2008, at 4:43 PM, William L. Maltby wrote:
>
> > Processing a huge number of dependancies (very likely going from
> > 4.3->4.6) will use huge amounts. I would first upgrade yum itself
> > (IIRC,
> > the sqlite changed).
>
> Tried that with a "yum -y update yum" but we're still getting clobbered.
>

> > Then, pay attention to the dependancy processing output and pick a few
> > packages at a time to upgrade. After a few passes like this, you
> > should
> > be able to revert to the normal update processing.
>
> Good suggestion--I'll remember that if I ever get to the point where
> it's starting to work :-)
>

> > Another strategy that might or might not work is to go to runlevel 3
> > (telinit 3) that eliminates all the graphical stuff and run from a
> > normal VT. If you don't have swap enabled, make a swap partition or
> > file
> > of decent size and try that.
>
> We're already there--no X is installed or running. Swap partition is
> set to 2GB--I suppose that I could add another swap file and see if
> that gets me over the hump.
>
> Yum is choking at the point where it print the first "processing
> primary.xml.gz"
----
kill off any rpm/yum processes...
then