Old 06-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Alfred von Campe

Default General CentOS 5.1 (or Gnome) instability?

I've been a big fan of CentOS for a while, and didn't have many
issues with CentOS 4.X over the past few years. However, since
moving to CentOS 5.1 a few weeks ago, I have received more problem
reports from my users than in the last year and a half on CentOS
4.X. I've previously reported the problem with gnome-terminal
crashing (and since there is a single gnome-terminal process by
default all your terminal windows disappear which makes this really
painful), and now I'm getting multiple reports of Gnome applets
suddenly quitting. Sometimes this includes the entire screen
"flashing" (probably a side effect of the "Show Desktop" applet
exiting). I've also had reports of some third party tools like
SlickEdit misbehaving and/or crashing on CentOS 5.1.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not really complaining about CentOS. I
really appreciate what the CentOS team does. I am just wondering if
anyone else has seen these issues. If it was just one or two users,
I would suspect the hardware or some configuration issues. But these
issues started cropping up after I upgraded our existing systems to
CentOS 5.1. The "upgrade" was a complete reinstall via a kickstart
script (I reformatted all partitions/LVs except for one), and all
systems are configured identically. BTW, I'm using CentOS for our
desktops as well as our servers, and all these problems are really
confined to the desktop systems. Almost everyone uses the default
Gnome desktop.

So, does anyone else have the perception that CentOS 5.X
(particularly Gnome) is a little less stable than CentOS 4.X or is it
just me?

Alfred