Old 12-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Garrick Staples

Default unstable libdg error when ./configure Perfparse on Nagios 2.x / CentOS 4.x

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 09:13:50AM -0800, Rogelio alleged:
> On 11/30/07, Garrick Staples <garrick@usc.edu> wrote:
> > I just downloaded and tried it. Turns our you need the gd-progs package
> > installed to get the gdlib-config script (necessary to satisfy perfparse's
> > configure).
>
> I have those installed already, but am not sure what is still hosed.
>
> Right now, I cannot get past the configure script. I keep getting the error:
>
> (bunch of OKs, then the following):
>
> checking for gdlib-config... /usr/bin/gdlib-config
> checking for gdMalloc in -lgd... no
> configure: error: required library libgd unusable.
> Install required and dependent files and rerun configure.
> See config.log or FAQs for details.

So what does config.log have about this error?

> Not knowing what else to do, I reinstalled (via rpm -i) the following packages
>
> gd-2.0.28-5.4E.i386.rpm gdk-pixbuf-0.22.0-17.el4.3.i386.rpm
> gdbm-1.8.0-24.i386.rpm gd-progs-2.0.28-5.4E.i386.rpm
> gdbm-devel-1.8.0-24.i386.rpm gtk+-1.2.10-36.i386.rpm
> gd-devel-2.0.28-5.4E.i386.rpm php-gd-4.3.9-3.22.4.i386.rpm

Aren't you on an x86_64 machine? Why are all these packages i386?

Reinstalling packages never fixes anything (especially random, unrelated
packages like gdbm and gtk). Just use yum to get the packages again and put
your system back together again.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Garrick Staples

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 11:27:56AM -0800, Rogelio alleged:
> On 12/1/07, Garrick Staples <garrick@usc.edu> wrote:
> > Aren't you on an x86_64 machine? Why are all these packages i386?
> >
> > Reinstalling packages never fixes anything (especially random, unrelated
> > packages like gdbm and gtk). Just use yum to get the packages again and put
> > your system back together again.
>
> Someone else installed it (in a datacenter far away), and I don't
> believe that they installed the 64 bit ver of CentOS. Do I need to
> change something before this script will run?

Your original email had a "lib64" path, implying that had a 64bit machine,
which if you were manually installig 32bit packages would explain everything.

'uname -m' will tell you if have 32bit or 64bit OS. Don't guess.

No, nothing special needs to be done other than having the correct devel
packages installed. I suspect you've got things mucked up at this point.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Garrick Staples

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 02:04:29PM -0800, Rogelio alleged:
> On 12/1/07, Garrick Staples <garrick@usc.edu> wrote:
> > Your original email had a "lib64" path, implying that had a 64bit machine,
> > which if you were manually installig 32bit packages would explain everything.
>
> I'm sorry for the confusion. My original email was quoting the FAQ on
> Perfparse's documentation, not reflecting my box's output
>
> > 'uname -m' will tell you if have 32bit or 64bit OS. Don't guess.
>
> uname -m -> i686 (as does /proc/cpuinfo).
>
> > No, nothing special needs to be done other than having the correct devel
> > packages installed. I suspect you've got things mucked up at this point.
>
> I'm sorry, I'm confused. When I run "rpm -q", I get all i386 packages
> (for everything on that box). The 64 bit stuff was not* installed.

Ok, no more 32bit vs. 64bit confusion on my part.

> The problems started occuring when another admin "yum remove" 'd gd
> and gd-devel, which also removed all Nagios related stuff. I yum
> installed Nagios, and when I went to configure, I got this libgd
> unuseable error.
>
> Before this snafu, my problem was related to make, not related to
> configure. Now I've gotta fix this problem with configure before I
> can go back and figure out what my problem was before.
>
> As far as I know, this is a corrupt package issue, and I'm hoping that
> there is fairly non-disrputive way of reinstalling everything required
> for PerfParse.

config.log has the actual error that will tell us the problem.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:34 PM
Garrick Staples

On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 03:04:36PM -0800, Rogelio alleged:

Rather than look at config.log? Have fun with that.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:40 AM
Garrick Staples

On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 10:20:56PM -0800, Rogelio alleged:
> On 12/2/07, Garrick Staples <garrick@usc.edu> wrote:
> > Rather than look at config.log? Have fun with that.
>
> I looked at the config.log and didn't really know what I was looking
> at since I'm fairly new to autotool-related errors. Since this has to
> be in production fairly soon, I'm thinking of cutting my losses or
> perhaps rebuilding from sourdce (I started another thread on the pros
> and cons of that approach).
>
> I showed this to other CentOS admins, and they suggested I cut my
> losses and quickly rebuild.
>
> Thanks for your help, Garrick!

Just send me the config.log offlist.