Old 06-04-2008, 11:42 AM
James Pearson

Default Mounting cifs shares by non-root users on CentOS 4.6

I'm trying to set up mounting of a Windows share for non-root users via
/etc/fstab on a CentOS 4.6 box - I've followed the instructions at:

<http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/WindowsShares>

Using something like the /etc/fstab example given in the wiki page
(with, of course, using a valid share, username and password for my set up):

//winbox/getme /mnt/win cifs
user,uid=500,rw,suid,username=sushi,password=yummy 0 0

When as a non-root user I do:

% mount /mnt/win
mount error 1 = Operation not permitted
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

Running mount as root works fine, but I can not get it to work for
non-root users.

Any ideas?

Thanks

James Pearson

Old 06-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Ralph Angenendt

James Pearson wrote:
> % mount /mnt/win
> mount error 1 = Operation not permitted
> Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

NOTES
This command may be used only by root, unless installed setuid,
in which case the noeexec and nosuid mount flags are enabled.

Ralph

Old 06-04-2008, 11:51 AM
ceejay cervantes

try using autofs.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Anne Wilson

On Wednesday 04 June 2008 12:42:18 James Pearson wrote:
> I'm trying to set up mounting of a Windows share for non-root users via
> /etc/fstab on a CentOS 4.6 box - I've followed the instructions at:
>
> <http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/WindowsShares>
>
> Using something like the /etc/fstab example given in the wiki page
> (with, of course, using a valid share, username and password for my set
> up):
>
> //winbox/getme /mnt/win cifs
> user,uid=500,rw,suid,username=sushi,password=yummy 0 0
>
> When as a non-root user I do:
>
> % mount /mnt/win
> mount error 1 = Operation not permitted
> Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
>
> Running mount as root works fine, but I can not get it to work for
> non-root users.
>
> Any ideas?

I never got it to work, but now I mount in fstab, which is problem-free.

Anne

Old 06-04-2008, 12:08 PM
James Pearson

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

James Pearson wrote:

% mount /mnt/win
mount error 1 = Operation not permitted
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

NOTES
This command may be used only by root, unless installed setuid,
in which case the noeexec and nosuid mount flags are enabled.

If I try to set /sbin/mount.cifs setuid root, then I get:

% mount /mnt/win
mount error: permission denied or not superuser and mount.cifs not
installed SUID

Which is rather strange as mount.cifs _is_ SUID

Does this mean that the wiki examples don't work for CentOS 4?

Thanks

James Pearson

Old 06-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Clint Dilks

Anne Wilson
wrote:http://eu.wowarmory.com/search.xml?searchQuery=pookii&searchType=character s

[...]

Another idea is to configure sudo to allow your users to do what is
required

Old 06-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Karanbir Singh

James Pearson wrote:

% mount /mnt/win
mount error: permission denied or not superuser and mount.cifs not
installed SUID

I've not used smb in years now, but i recall needing to suid
/usr/bin/smbmount ( the actual code that does the work ) in CentOS-4 to
make this work.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Pierre Reinbold

Karanbir Singh a écrit :

James Pearson wrote:

% mount /mnt/win
mount error: permission denied or not superuser and mount.cifs not
installed SUID

I've not used smb in years now, but i recall needing to suid
/usr/bin/smbmount ( the actual code that does the work ) in CentOS-4 to
make this work.

From CentOS 5, I set suid /sbin/mount.cifs and /sbin/umount.cifs and
link them to /usr/bin/smbmount and /usr/bin/smbumount (for backward
compatibility :-)).

3.14r

Old 06-05-2008, 01:44 PM
James Pearson

Karanbir Singh wrote:

James Pearson wrote:

% mount /mnt/win
mount error: permission denied or not superuser and mount.cifs not
installed SUID

I've not used smb in years now, but i recall needing to suid
/usr/bin/smbmount ( the actual code that does the work ) in CentOS-4 to
make this work.

cifs mounts don't use smbmount - they use mount.cifs ...

I've tried various combinations of options etc, but cannot get the
mounts to work for non-root users ... so I've given up and done what is
needed via sudo ...

James Pearson

Old 06-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Karanbir Singh

James Pearson wrote:

% mount /mnt/win
mount error: permission denied or not superuser and mount.cifs not
installed SUID

I've not used smb in years now, but i recall needing to suid
/usr/bin/smbmount ( the actual code that does the work ) in CentOS-4
to make this work.

cifs mounts don't use smbmount - they use mount.cifs ...

I've tried various combinations of options etc, but cannot get the
mounts to work for non-root users ... so I've given up and done what is
needed via sudo ...

ok, my point was that something under the hood needed suid for this to
work. Not sure why cifs should not work though. Might be worth
investigating.