FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-03-2008, 10:51 PM
Kirk Bocek
 
Default 5.1 Anaconda Install Error

I'm unable to install x86_64 on a host. The installer gets through the first
part, asking for install type and it begins loading the images from whatever
media was selected.


Then anaconda spills a series of cryptic messages ending in 'file not found'
and the console on F2 is locked up. I've tried this with physical DVD media,
PXE-HTTP and media-boot HTTP install. It happens every time.


This is a reinstall to this host. The weird thing is that I was able to
install to this host from this media previously.


I've seen the note at bugs.centos.org regarding an incorrect .discinfo file
but that doesn't seem to be it. The .diskinfo file:


1195929648.203590
Final
x86_64
1,2,3,4,5,6,7
CentOS/base
/home/buildcentos/CENTOS/5.1/en/x86_64/CentOS
CentOS/pixmaps

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Kirk Bocek
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-03-2008, 11:31 PM
MHR
 
Default 5.1 Anaconda Install Error

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004@kbocek.com> wrote:
> I'm unable to install x86_64 on a host. The installer gets through the first
> part, asking for install type and it begins loading the images from whatever
> media was selected.
>
> Then anaconda spills a series of cryptic messages ending in 'file not found'
> and the console on F2 is locked up. I've tried this with physical DVD media,
> PXE-HTTP and media-boot HTTP install. It happens every time.
>
> This is a reinstall to this host. The weird thing is that I was able to
> install to this host from this media previously.
>
> I've seen the note at bugs.centos.org regarding an incorrect .discinfo file
> but that doesn't seem to be it. The .diskinfo file:
>
> 1195929648.203590
> Final
> x86_64
> 1,2,3,4,5,6,7
> CentOS/base
> /home/buildcentos/CENTOS/5.1/en/x86_64/CentOS
> CentOS/pixmaps
>
> Does anyone have any idea what's going on?
>

A little more detail, like what kind of hardware this is on, might help....

mhr
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-04-2008, 02:30 AM
Kirk Bocek
 
Default 5.1 Anaconda Install Error

MHR wrote:

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004@kbocek.com> wrote:

I'm unable to install x86_64 on a host. The installer gets through the first
part, asking for install type and it begins loading the images from whatever
media was selected.

Then anaconda spills a series of cryptic messages ending in 'file not found'
and the console on F2 is locked up. I've tried this with physical DVD media,
PXE-HTTP and media-boot HTTP install. It happens every time.

This is a reinstall to this host. The weird thing is that I was able to
install to this host from this media previously.

I've seen the note at bugs.centos.org regarding an incorrect .discinfo file
but that doesn't seem to be it. The .diskinfo file:

1195929648.203590
Final
x86_64
1,2,3,4,5,6,7
CentOS/base
/home/buildcentos/CENTOS/5.1/en/x86_64/CentOS
CentOS/pixmaps

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?



A little more detail, like what kind of hardware this is on, might help....

mhr


Sure. It's a Asus DSEB-DG motherboard with dual Xeon E5440 CPUS. 8 GB RAM. All
the storage is via a 3Ware 9650SE RAID controller.


I didn't provide the details because it was strange that the installation
failed at the same point regardless of the booting method I used. It felt like
some basic mistake or mis-setting in the OS. But hey, I've been wrong before.


I'm in the process of downloading a whole new DVD image even though the
current image passes the SHA1 checksums.


Kirk Bocek
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-04-2008, 07:53 AM
Karanbir Singh
 
Default 5.1 Anaconda Install Error

Kirk Bocek wrote:
> I didn't provide the details because it was strange that the
> installation failed at the same point regardless of the booting method I
> used. It felt like some basic mistake or mis-setting in the OS. But hey,
> I've been wrong before.

Anything interesting on vc#1,3,4,5 ? how about run remote syslog and see
if anything interesting gets in there....

--
Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ : 2522219@icq
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Kirk Bocek
 
Default 5.1 Anaconda Install Error

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Kirk Bocek wrote:

I didn't provide the details because it was strange that the
installation failed at the same point regardless of the booting method I
used. It felt like some basic mistake or mis-setting in the OS. But hey,
I've been wrong before.


Anything interesting on vc#1,3,4,5 ? how about run remote syslog and see
if anything interesting gets in there....



I modified the kickstart file to include the line "logging
--host=logginghostname". I added '-r' to the syslog options on the logging
host and restarted syslog. I PXE booted into a new install.


It crashed a the usual way, right after the "Anaconda Starting" message. A few
lines of what I believe are Python display but scroll off of the console. The
last messages displayed are:


Install exited abnormally [1/1]
You may safely reboot

On vc3, three warnings:

No floppy device found but we'll try fd0
Graphical install unavailable ((I gave the 'text' option at startup))
Unable to find temp path, going to use ramfs path

On vc4, nothing seemed special, last message:

No IPv6 routers present

vc5 and vc6 are blank.

I could not find any messages regarding this installation on the remote
logging host. I've never done this remote logging before. Is there a step I
missed setting it up?


Thanks,
Kirk Bocek
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 06-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Kirk Bocek
 
Default 5.1 Anaconda Install Error

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Kirk Bocek wrote:

I didn't provide the details because it was strange that the
installation failed at the same point regardless of the booting method I
used. It felt like some basic mistake or mis-setting in the OS. But hey,
I've been wrong before.


Anything interesting on vc#1,3,4,5 ? how about run remote syslog and see
if anything interesting gets in there....



Karanbir:
After rebooting many times and trying different things, I was able to get a
bit more information. I was able to get the Anaconda error message by *not*
using text mode. X starts up but then kicks back into text mode when this
error pops up.


Some of the lines are not quite complete as I had to copy them by hand.

Traceback (most recent call last)
File "/usr/bin/anaconda", line 900, in ?
iutil.makeDriveDeviceNodes()
File /usr/bin/anaconda/iutil.py", line 264, ...
isys.makeDevInode(...
File "/usr/bin/anaconda/isys.py", line 422 ...
isys.mkdevinode...
System Error: (2, 'No such file or directory')

Does this provide any help?

Thanks,
Kirk Bocek
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:30 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org