Old 06-03-2008, 06:51 PM
MHR

Default Live CD?

I just used a Live CD for the first time today, in part to show what
CentOS can do for a co-worker who is looking at using it at work and
home, but I got the strangest result.

We booted the CD and let the centos user log in. It took a really
long time to load the desktop and there were no panels, so the only
things we could do were browse the computer, CD, home, file system,
keyboard (sort of) and pretty much nothing else. <alt><f2> and
<alt><f1> did nothing, either - no menu, no input windows - nada.

Is that normal? If not, what did I/we overlook? I was expecting a
lot more, and from looking around the wiki, there should have been,
but I couldn't find a good reference for what the Live CD is supposed
to be able to do or let a user do.

Thanks.

mhr

Old 06-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Johnny Hughes

MHR wrote:

I just used a Live CD for the first time today, in part to show what
CentOS can do for a co-worker who is looking at using it at work and
home, but I got the strangest result.

We booted the CD and let the centos user log in. It took a really
long time to load the desktop and there were no panels, so the only
things we could do were browse the computer, CD, home, file system,
keyboard (sort of) and pretty much nothing else. <alt><f2> and
<alt><f1> did nothing, either - no menu, no input windows - nada.

Is that normal? If not, what did I/we overlook? I was expecting a
lot more, and from looking around the wiki, there should have been,
but I couldn't find a good reference for what the Live CD is supposed
to be able to do or let a user do.

Both live CDs (CentOS-4 and CentOS-5) boot to fully usable desktops.

It sounds like there are hardware issues with the machine involved and
the livecd booted.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Scott Silva

on 6-3-2008 11:51 AM MHR spake the following:

I just used a Live CD for the first time today, in part to show what
CentOS can do for a co-worker who is looking at using it at work and
home, but I got the strangest result.

We booted the CD and let the centos user log in. It took a really
long time to load the desktop and there were no panels, so the only
things we could do were browse the computer, CD, home, file system,
keyboard (sort of) and pretty much nothing else. <alt><f2> and
<alt><f1> did nothing, either - no menu, no input windows - nada.

Is that normal? If not, what did I/we overlook? I was expecting a
lot more, and from looking around the wiki, there should have been,
but I couldn't find a good reference for what the Live CD is supposed
to be able to do or let a user do.

Thanks.

mhr

Corrupted CD maybe?

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 06-04-2008, 03:23 PM
"Ross S. W. Walker"

MHR wrote:

> I just used a Live CD for the first time today, in part to show what
> CentOS can do for a co-worker who is looking at using it at work and
> home, but I got the strangest result.
>
> We booted the CD and let the centos user log in. It took a really
> long time to load the desktop and there were no panels, so the only
> things we could do were browse the computer, CD, home, file system,
> keyboard (sort of) and pretty much nothing else. <alt><f2> and
> <alt><f1> did nothing, either - no menu, no input windows - nada.
>
> Is that normal? If not, what did I/we overlook? I was expecting a
> lot more, and from looking around the wiki, there should have been,
> but I couldn't find a good reference for what the Live CD is supposed
> to be able to do or let a user do.

Incompatible burn for that reader? (cd-r, cd+r, cd-rw, cd+rw ...)

Or maybe it is just the skew of the burn is outside of that
readers acceptable range.

-Ross

Old 06-04-2008, 06:59 PM
MHR

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 3:24 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:

> Both live CDs (CentOS-4 and CentOS-5) boot to fully usable desktops.
>
> It sounds like there are hardware issues with the machine involved and the
> livecd booted.

Sounds likely - I'll check what I can....

mhr

Old 06-04-2008, 07:24 PM
MHR

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 8:16 AM, Scott Silva <ssilva@sgvwater.com> wrote:

> Corrupted CD maybe?

Could be. I burned it at 40x (it's a 48x TDK CD) using K3B with write
verification, so it passed the md5sum after the write completed. I
suppose it could be an incompatibility between my burner (a Pioneer
18xXxXx DVD burner) and the reader (a TEAC CD-540E).

I noticed that the target system, which normally runs (well, actually,
walks is more like it) Ubuntu 8, only has 256MB of memory - could that
be part of it?

The other oddball thing was that, after we had booted the LiveCD and
given up on it, we had to reboot the Ubuntu in repair mode to get it
back up (!!!).

I haven't tried it anywhere else just yet....

mhr

Old 06-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Scott Silva

on 6-4-2008 12:24 PM MHR spake the following:

Could be. I burned it at 40x (it's a 48x TDK CD) using K3B with write
verification, so it passed the md5sum after the write completed. I
suppose it could be an incompatibility between my burner (a Pioneer
18xXxXx DVD burner) and the reader (a TEAC CD-540E).

I noticed that the target system, which normally runs (well, actually,
walks is more like it) Ubuntu 8, only has 256MB of memory - could that
be part of it?

The other oddball thing was that, after we had booted the LiveCD and
given up on it, we had to reboot the Ubuntu in repair mode to get it
back up (!!!).

I haven't tried it anywhere else just yet....

mhr
I usually burn critical CD's at lower speeds. It seems that they have a more
reliable image when the laser gets to spend a little more time on the tracks.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:13 PM
MHR

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Scott Silva <ssilva@sgvwater.com> wrote:

> I usually burn critical CD's at lower speeds. It seems that they have a more
> reliable image when the laser gets to spend a little more time on the
> tracks.

I'll have to check the file at home again - I just checked the CD here
and its md5sum doesn't match the one on the download site's md5sum.txt
file.

Back to the basics....

Thanks.

mhr