-   -   Article for wiki consideration (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-docs/96468-article-wiki-consideration.html)

Scott Robbins 05-27-2008 08:12 PM

Article for wiki consideration

I've recently documented simple use of a VServer with CentOS host and
guest. toracat@ said that it might be worthwhile putting on the wiki.

The present article is located at
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/vserver.html

If it does get to the wiki, I would remove the fedora section and also
add a notice at the beginning of the article with dire warnings about
using a non-stock kernel. (I would probably copy the warning on red
background from http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel)

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Faith: You can't trust guys.
Buffy: You can trust some guys. Really, I've read about them.

"Akemi Yagi" 05-27-2008 08:23 PM

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> I've recently documented simple use of a VServer with CentOS host and
> guest. toracat@ said that it might be worthwhile putting on the wiki.
>
> The present article is located at
> http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/vserver.html
>
> If it does get to the wiki, I would remove the fedora section and also
> add a notice at the beginning of the article with dire warnings about
> using a non-stock kernel. (I would probably copy the warning on red
> background from http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel)
>
> Thank you for your consideration.
>
> Sincerely,
> --
> Scott Robbins

Ralph,

If / when you set up this page and give edit rights to Scott, could
you also add him to http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/KVM ? He wrote that
article but was too shy (lazy?) to claim that. :-)

Akemi / toracat

Scott Robbins 05-27-2008 11:07 PM

Article for wiki consideration

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 04:12:59PM -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:

I overlooked the instructions to include my username.

Below is a copy of what I sent today--with user name included. :)

----------------------------
> I've recently documented simple use of a VServer with CentOS host and
> guest. toracat@ said that it might be worthwhile putting on the wiki.
>
> The present article is located at
> http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/vserver.html
>
> If it does get to the wiki, I would remove the fedora section and also
> add a notice at the beginning of the article with dire warnings about
> using a non-stock kernel. (I would probably copy the warning on red
> background from http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel)

My wiki user name is Scott Robbins

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Xander: Okay, this is starting to grate my cheese. These
woods aren't that big. Now, I know we've beein going straight because
I've been following the North Star.
Willow: Xander, that's not the North Star. It's an airplane.
Xander: No, that's not an airplane. That's definitely...a blimp. But I
can see how one would make that airplane mistake.

"Daniel de Kok" 05-28-2008 01:09 PM

Article for wiki consideration

Hi Scott,

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 10:12 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> I've recently documented simple use of a VServer with CentOS host and
> guest. toracat@ said that it might be worthwhile putting on the wiki.

Hmmm, this requires a modified or a non-CentOS kernel. Do we really
want to start recommending such kernels?

Take care,
Daniel

Scott Robbins 05-28-2008 02:49 PM

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 03:09:33PM +0200, Daniel de Kok wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 10:12 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> > I've recently documented simple use of a VServer with CentOS host and
> > guest. toracat@ said that it might be worthwhile putting on the wiki.
>
> Hmmm, this requires a modified or a non-CentOS kernel. Do we really
> want to start recommending such kernels?

As I mentioned, I would begin the article with something similar to the
beginning of the custom kernel article, with dire warnings. However, if
you and/or the other powers that be feel it is almost advocating
something that has risks, I certainly understand that.

Either way, thank you for taking the time to consider it.

"Daniel de Kok" 05-28-2008 07:53 PM

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> As I mentioned, I would begin the article with something similar to the
> beginning of the custom kernel article, with dire warnings. However, if
> you and/or the other powers that be feel it is almost advocating
> something that has risks, I certainly understand that.

Well, if there is a lot of interest in having container-type of
virtualization. It might be interesting to see which of the various
alternatives (linux-vserver or openvz) looks best, and see if we can
provide it through e.g. the plus repository.

Of course, this would require a volunteer who is willing to maintain
such a set of patches against the kernel. But if someone is willing to
do this, it can profit from CentOS quality assurance, and guarantee
good compatibility with CentOS.

Take care,
Daniel

Scott Robbins 05-29-2008 03:13 AM

Article for wiki consideration

Just a quick note for anyone who hadn't looked at the article but will
later do so.

Re Daniel's point, that it does encourage the somewhat dangerous custom
kernel, I've edited it slightly. At this point, I suspect that it won't
be approved, because of the kernel issue, so I've also, in the editing,
used a bit of first person.

If people did wind up thinking it should be included anyway, I can very
easily change that.

Once again, thank you for your time and consideration. As it's
sometimes difficult to correctly interpret the tone of an email, let me
emphasize that I am not at all bothered by Daniel's reluctance--he made
a very important point about the kernel, one which I hadn't sufficiently
emphasized in the original page. My feeling is that even if it does
only stay on my own website, the point about the kernel should be made,
hence the editing.

Manuel Wolfshant 05-29-2008 03:30 AM

[...]

vserver is quite popular, especially among debian admins and even among
hosting companies, so I am very much in favor of publishing this article.

Karanbir Singh 05-29-2008 09:26 AM

Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> vserver is quite popular, especially among debian admins and even among
> hosting companies, so I am very much in favor of publishing this article.

Has anyone made contact with the admin / packager at the mentioned repo ?

"Daniel de Kok" 05-29-2008 11:34 AM

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>> vserver is quite popular, especially among debian admins and even among
>> hosting companies, so I am very much in favor of publishing this article.
>
> Has anyone made contact with the admin / packager at the mentioned repo ?

Good question! I have just dropped him a note, and invited him to this
discussion.

Take care,
Daniel