Old 05-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Default Article for wiki consideration

Daniel de Kok wrote:
> Of course, this would require a volunteer who is willing to maintain
> such a set of patches against the kernel. But if someone is willing to
> do this, it can profit from CentOS quality assurance, and guarantee
> good compatibility with CentOS.

Only if that person also wants to support that on the #irc channel and
can explain why we support one type of vserver and don't support the
other

More when I have more time.

Greetings from Linuxtag, Berlin

Ralph

Old 06-07-2008, 04:55 AM
"Akemi Yagi"

2008/5/29 Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos@br-online.de>:
> Daniel de Kok wrote:
>> Of course, this would require a volunteer who is willing to maintain
>> such a set of patches against the kernel. But if someone is willing to
>> do this, it can profit from CentOS quality assurance, and guarantee
>> good compatibility with CentOS.
>
> Only if that person also wants to support that on the #irc channel and
> can explain why we support one type of vserver and don't support the
> other
>
> More when I have more time.
>
> Greetings from Linuxtag, Berlin
>
> Ralph

This thread has been dormant for a while. I think that the original
proposal for the Wiki article on 'howto vsersre' should be given a
serious consideration. We now seem to have another inquiry relating
to virtualization, "Installing and using OpenVZ with CentOS 5".

Akemi

Old 06-07-2008, 05:23 AM
Scott Robbins

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 09:55:50PM -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> 2008/5/29 Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos@br-online.de>:
> > Daniel de Kok wrote:
> >> Of course, this would require a volunteer who is willing to maintain
> >> such a set of patches against the kernel. But if someone is willing to
> >> do this, it can profit from CentOS quality assurance, and guarantee
> >> good compatibility with CentOS.
> >
> > Only if that person also wants to support that on the #irc channel and
> > can explain why we support one type of vserver and don't support the
> > other
> >

> > Ralph
>
> This thread has been dormant for a while. I think that the original
> proposal for the Wiki article on 'howto vsersre' should be given a
> serious consideration. We now seem to have another inquiry relating
> to virtualization, "Installing and using OpenVZ with CentOS 5".

Just for clarification, due to the similarity of name and topic, Scott
Robbins (me) requested permission to post an article about
Linux-VServer.

The other Scott who posted tonight is talking about OpenVZ, which, like
VServer is more like a FreeBSD jail than a VMware virtual machine.

To the other Scott, Akemi-san included parts of the earlier
discussion. It referred to a reservation Ralph and others expressed
about my article, the fact that it does require a non-CentOS
produced kernel.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Kendra: I call it Mr. Pointy.
Buffy: You named your stake?
Kendra: Yes.
Buffy: Remind me to get you a stuffed animal.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Scott Robbins wrote:
> Just for clarification, due to the similarity of name and topic, Scott
> Robbins (me) requested permission to post an article about
> Linux-VServer.

Okay, I gave ScottRobbins the permissions for the Vserver article
(linked from HowTos under virtualization).

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 06-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Scott Robbins

On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 01:20:44PM +0200, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Scott Robbins wrote:
> > Just for clarification, due to the similarity of name and topic, Scott
> > Robbins (me) requested permission to post an article about
> > Linux-VServer.
>
> Okay, I gave ScottRobbins the permissions for the Vserver article
> (linked from HowTos under virtualization).

Before I go ahead, Ralph, would you look at the latest version
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/vserver.html and let me know if
you consider the first few paragraphs about the kernel adequate for
CentOS needs?

Thanks and apologies for causing a fuss.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Buffy: Looks like a job for wiccan-girl. What do you say,
Will? Big time danger.
Willow: Hey, I eat danger for breakfast.
Xander: But, oddly enough, she panics in the face of breakfast
foods.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:55 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 1:23 PM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ralph,
>
> If / when you set up this page and give edit rights to Scott, could
> you also add him to http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/KVM ? He wrote that
> article but was too shy (lazy?) to claim that. :-)
>
> Akemi / toracat

Ralph,

Would you do the above as well ? I'm tired of making corrections for him :-D

Thanks a bunch,

Akemi

Old 06-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Akemi Yagi wrote:
> Would you do the above as well ? I'm tired of making corrections for him :-D

Done. Didn't see that mail somehow

Ralph

Old 06-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 01:20:44PM +0200, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> > Okay, I gave ScottRobbins the permissions for the Vserver article
> > (linked from HowTos under virtualization).
>
> Before I go ahead, Ralph, would you look at the latest version
> http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/vserver.html and let me know if
> you consider the first few paragraphs about the kernel adequate for
> CentOS needs?

Put it in red

See
<http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/WikiDesign/modern-CentOS#head-6c278f4d461a74ef56c974f01177021592af5e81>

> Thanks and apologies for causing a fuss.

Which fuss?

Cheers and have fun

Ralph

Old 06-07-2008, 01:40 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 6:01 AM, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos@br-online.de> wrote:
> Scott Robbins wrote:
>>
>> Before I go ahead, Ralph, would you look at the latest version
>> http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/vserver.html and let me know if
>> you consider the first few paragraphs about the kernel adequate for
>> CentOS needs?
>
> Put it in red
>
> See
> <http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/WikiDesign/modern-CentOS#head-6c278f4d461a74ef56c974f01177021592af5e81>

Or... the custom kernel page has this code to make a red warning box:

||<bgcolor="#ff8080"> warning text here ||

>> Thanks and apologies for causing a fuss.
>
> Which fuss?

Yeah, show me where

Old 06-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Scott Robbins

On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 02:58:54PM +0200, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
> > Would you do the above as well ? I'm tired of making corrections for him :-D
>
> Done. Didn't see that mail somehow

Darn. Now I can't impose upon Akemi san anymore.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Willow: On the other hand, maybe Rodney just stepped out
for a smoke.
Xander: For twenty-one hours?
Willow: It's addictive, you know.