Old 05-29-2008, 11:43 AM
"Daniel de Kok"

Default Opening of the Wiki - Part I

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Ned Slider <ned@unixmail.co.uk> wrote:
> That should block the vast majority of spam, shouldn't it?

On a Dutch forum we were dealing with a considerable amount of spam.
Most spam account creation/posting is done automatically through
scripts. So, we simply added an additional account creation field with
a verification question the can only be answered by humans, like:

"Op welke dag is Kortjakje niet ziek?" (On which day isn't Kortjakje ill?)

There is this Dutch children's rhyme/song that everyone knows, and
tells the story of Kortjakje, who is ill on every day except Sunday.
There must be a nice English equivalent .

After this change there has been virtually no spam on the forum (I
think only once through an unrelated bug).

Take care,
Daniel

Old 05-29-2008, 11:50 AM
"Daniel de Kok"

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 2:54 PM, John <jses27@gmail.com> wrote:
> Aggree..I would like for the Authors name and Co-Authored names to remain on
> the article they have written.

Since many people feel this is important, maybe we should. But I'd
propose to include a note somewhere on the Wiki that it is ok to
change 'someone else's pages', as long as it is an improvement, and
that major changes can be discussed on centos-docs.

Take care,
Daniel

Old 06-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Moin as we know it cannot do that on the account creation page. So there
> would be two solutions: Allow everyone to edit content everywhere except
> on especially hidden or protected pages and/or create a new account
> creation mechanism for moin. Or as a third way: Require people to mail
> their account names to the above mentioned editor team with some
> "signed" text we'd still have to write up. Then - in a timely fashion -
> one of this editor group can put that account on the EditGroup page.

Okay, this has gone to sleep.

I'd like to know two things:

1:
Who would like to be on an editorial team for the wiki? That means that
you must monitor changes to all pages.

2:
Is everbody fine with the following? Contributors add their account to
the wiki and after that have to send us a mail in which they state that
they are okay with putting their content under the CC license the wiki
is running under. After that mail has come in, one of the editorial team
adds that account to <http://wiki.centos.org/EditGroup>.

Regarding this I don't know yet where that mail should be sent. Or do we
still want to have people who want to contribute subscribe to this
list?

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 06-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Ned Slider

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

Moin as we know it cannot do that on the account creation page. So there
would be two solutions: Allow everyone to edit content everywhere except
on especially hidden or protected pages and/or create a new account
creation mechanism for moin. Or as a third way: Require people to mail
their account names to the above mentioned editor team with some
"signed" text we'd still have to write up. Then - in a timely fashion -
one of this editor group can put that account on the EditGroup page.

Okay, this has gone to sleep.

I'd like to know two things:

1:
Who would like to be on an editorial team for the wiki? That means that
you must monitor changes to all pages.

In the interests of "many hands make light work", I'd be prepared to
sign up to that so long as I'm not the only one!

2:
Is everbody fine with the following? Contributors add their account to
the wiki and after that have to send us a mail in which they state that
they are okay with putting their content under the CC license the wiki
is running under. After that mail has come in, one of the editorial team
adds that account to <http://wiki.centos.org/EditGroup>.

Yes

Regarding this I don't know yet where that mail should be sent. Or do we
still want to have people who want to contribute subscribe to this
list?

Either here (centos-docs) or a dedicated Wiki editorial team ML? As this
list already exists, may as well just use it?

Old 06-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Ned Slider wrote:
>> Regarding this I don't know yet where that mail should be sent. Or do we
>> still want to have people who want to contribute subscribe to this
>> list?
>
> Either here (centos-docs) or a dedicated Wiki editorial team ML? As this
> list already exists, may as well just use it?

But this would mean that we have to either open up this list for
everyone, or take all of the people on the editorial team into the
moderators team for this list (which I don't have any problem with), or
require people to subscribe here.

Although I see no need for an editorial team list ...

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 06-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Ned Slider

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

Ned Slider wrote:

Regarding this I don't know yet where that mail should be sent. Or do we
still want to have people who want to contribute subscribe to this
list?
Either here (centos-docs) or a dedicated Wiki editorial team ML? As this
list already exists, may as well just use it?

But this would mean that we have to either open up this list for
everyone, or take all of the people on the editorial team into the
moderators team for this list (which I don't have any problem with), or
require people to subscribe here.

I don't follow what you mean. Wouldn't someone simply subscribe to this
list and then send a mail stating they agree with the CC license etc,
and a member of the editorial team upon seeing that message adds them to
the Wiki editorial group and replies to the message to let the person
know they've been added.

I would think that anyone who wants to contribute to the Wiki should be
subscribed to this list anyway so IMHO it makes sense to use this list.

Tue Jun 3 19:30:01 2008