Old 05-18-2008, 03:06 AM
TAIRA Hajime

Default I want to add a tip.

Hi all.

I want to add a following to tips.
Please give me write permission of http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks.
I think that I write it into "Troubleshooting".

[titie]
How do I re-install bootstrap(GRUB).
[/title]

If you repaired your system from backup tape by dump or tar.
It cann't repair bootstrap area.

Please do following steps:

1. Boot from CentOS installation disc.

2. Please type "linux rescue" at "boot:" prompt.

3. Mount all filesystem by read-write mode.

4. Change root to real root('/') on your harddisk.
# chroot /mnt/sysimage

5. Re-install bootstrap code (GRUB). (ex. If you install to MBR.)
# grub-install /dev/sda

---- That's all.

Best regards.

TAIRA Hajime <centos@pantora.net>, web: http://pantora.net/
CentOS WikiName: HajimeTaira

Old 05-18-2008, 04:09 PM
"Daniel de Kok"

Hi,

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 5:06 AM, TAIRA Hajime <centos@pantora.net> wrote:
> 5. Re-install bootstrap code (GRUB). (ex. If you install to MBR.)
> # grub-install /dev/sda

I think this step should be a bit more verbose, telling people to
replace 'sda' with the actual disk device.

Take care,
Daniel

Old 05-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Daniel de Kok wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 5:06 AM, TAIRA Hajime <centos@pantora.net> wrote:
> > 5. Re-install bootstrap code (GRUB). (ex. If you install to MBR.)
> > # grub-install /dev/sda
>
> I think this step should be a bit more verbose, telling people to
> replace 'sda' with the actual disk device.

I think it could need a bit more verbosity everywhere >

But I see no general problem, I gave you access to that page (in 5
minutes).

Cheers

Ralph

Old 05-25-2008, 03:19 AM
TAIRA Hajime

Thanks.

I think this step should be a bit more verbose, telling people to
replace 'sda' with the actual disk device.

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/ReinstallGRUB
I added verbose information about disk device. Please confirm it?

Old 05-25-2008, 05:51 AM
Florian La Roche

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 12:19:11PM +0900, TAIRA Hajime wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> >>I think this step should be a bit more verbose, telling people to
> >>replace 'sda' with the actual disk device.
>

> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/ReinstallGRUB
> I added verbose information about disk device. Please confirm it?

There is a small typo at the beginning: "cann't" -> "can't"

regards,

Florian La Roche

Old 05-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Ned Slider

Florian La Roche wrote:

I think this step should be a bit more verbose, telling people to
replace 'sda' with the actual disk device.

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/ReinstallGRUB
I added verbose information about disk device. Please confirm it?

There is a small typo at the beginning: "cann't" -> "can't"

regards,

Florian La Roche

I have corrected a couple of typos, including this one.