Old 05-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Ned Slider

Default FAQs

Hi all,

Akemi and I have recently been drafting a few posts for a new forum
subsection (Readme First & FAQs) to aid new forums members in getting help.

One thing we have noticed is that there are two FAQ repositories, one on
the main site and one on the Wiki.

Main site FAQs: http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/

Presumably it would be preferable if there was just one, and as the main
site FAQs seem old, plus Akemi and I both have edit rights to the Wiki,
we would propose to add missing content contained in the main site FAQs
onto the Wiki page as necessary making this the most complete FAQ
repository.

Does anyone have any thoughts or objections to this?

Regards,

Ned

Old 05-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Karanbir Singh

Ned,

Ned Slider wrote:
Presumably it would be preferable if there was just one, and as the main
site FAQs seem old, plus Akemi and I both have edit rights to the Wiki,
we would propose to add missing content contained in the main site FAQs
onto the Wiki page as necessary making this the most complete FAQ
repository.

Sounds like a good idea. Perhaps an expansion of the GettingHelp wiki
page is called for - and overdue. So a general 'ask a sensible question,
get a sensible reply' document would be very cool to have.

Thanks for taking this effort up.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:24 PM
Ned Slider

Ned Slider wrote:

Hi all,

Akemi and I have recently been drafting a few posts for a new forum
subsection (Readme First & FAQs) to aid new forums members in getting help.

Apologies, for those that have no idea what I'm talking about because
they can't see it, I'll get a temp copy up on the Wiki in a bit

Ned

Old 05-17-2008, 07:25 PM
Ned Slider

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Ned,

Ned Slider wrote:
Presumably it would be preferable if there was just one, and as the
main site FAQs seem old, plus Akemi and I both have edit rights to the
Wiki, we would propose to add missing content contained in the main
site FAQs onto the Wiki page as necessary making this the most
complete FAQ repository.

Sounds like a good idea. Perhaps an expansion of the GettingHelp wiki
page is called for - and overdue. So a general 'ask a sensible question,
get a sensible reply' document would be very cool to have.

Thanks for taking this effort up.

Good idea - I was trying to think where that content would logically sit
on the Wiki.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:29 PM
"Daniel de Kok"

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 9:13 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> Ned Slider wrote:
>>
>> Presumably it would be preferable if there was just one, and as the main
>> site FAQs seem old, plus Akemi and I both have edit rights to the Wiki, we
>> would propose to add missing content contained in the main site FAQs onto
>> the Wiki page as necessary making this the most complete FAQ repository.
>
> Sounds like a good idea.

+1

-- Daniel

Old 05-17-2008, 11:25 PM
Ned Slider

Ned Slider wrote:

Ned Slider wrote:

Hi all,

Akemi and I have recently been drafting a few posts for a new forum
subsection (Readme First & FAQs) to aid new forums members in getting
help.

Apologies, for those that have no idea what I'm talking about because
they can't see it, I'll get a temp copy up on the Wiki in a bit

Ned

Rather posting them to the Wiki, Ill copy the content here is that's OK.

Here's the first post, entitled "Where to Find Answers".

-------------------------------

Help may be obtained at the following locations:

*1. CentOS help channels:*

Forums: That's where you are now. Please also read the other documents
in this section.

Mailing lists: The CentOS *discussion and information* list is a general
purpose communication list for CentOS and is appropriate for asking
questions relating to CentOS.

Wiki: The Wiki has sections containing howtos, FAQs and tips and tricks.
The answers to many questions may be found here and the Wiki has a
search feature to help you find them.

IRC: You may ask your question on the #centos IRC channel.

FAQs: There are FAQ sections on the main site and Wiki

Documentation: CentOS is provided with extensive documentation, so
please read it.

*2. Use the application's help/documentation system*

Most all Linux applications come with built in help or documentation.

*Help menu:* Most all GUI applications have a help menu.

*Man pages:* At the console, you can view a manual page by doing 'man
<command>'. For example, 'man bash' will access the manual page for
bash. KDE users may also view man pages in konqueror by typing man:bash,
for example, in the location bar.

*Info pages:* At the console, you can view an information page by doing
'info <command>'. For example, 'info bash' will access the information
page for bash.

It should be noted, that for the new Linux user, man pages and other
built in help may at first seem quite obscure and/or cryptic. In many
instances, these man pages were written by programmers for programmers,
but they often contain the answer you seek.

*3. Searching*

It is more than likely that your question has been asked, and answered,
before so please search the above repositories of information before
asking. Searching on Google is another highly effective way to obtain
answers.

*4. Books*

Some books for CentOS users recommended by community members (note: not
officially endorsed by the CentOS project).

Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux Bible, Christopher Negus (pub:
Wiley). A good reference for both new and more experienced users.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:29 PM
Ned Slider

Ned Slider wrote:

Ned Slider wrote:

Hi all,

Akemi and I have recently been drafting a few posts for a new forum
subsection (Readme First & FAQs) to aid new forums members in getting
help.

Apologies, for those that have no idea what I'm talking about because
they can't see it, I'll get a temp copy up on the Wiki in a bit

...and here's the second post, entitled "Readme First".

Welcome to CentOS, and the CentOS forums.

Before posting a question to these forums, we would ask that you take
the time to read this post. Please also read the "Where to Find Answers"
post.

This information is provided to help you get answers to your questions
more quickly. Everyone who provides answers are volunteers and their
time is valuable. Following the guidelines below will help them make the
best use of that time to aid as many as possible including, of course, you.

1. Post your question to the correct forum

This may seem obvious but please try to ensure you post your question to
the correct forum and in the correct section (eg, for CentOS 3, 4 or 5
etc). If you are unsure in which forum your question belongs, please do
*NOT* double post in multiple forums. Most of us read ALL the forums so
we will see your question. Double posting will result in 1) you being
asked not to double post as opposed to being provided with an answer and
2) multiples posts being removed by a moderator.

2. Use a descriptive title for your thread

Firstly, post your own thread - *do not hijack someone else's thread*,
even if you think your question is related. You may post a link to any
related threads that you feel are appropriate.

Use a descriptive title for your thread. This is your one chance to
advertise what it is you require help with and persuade people to
actually read and potentially answer your question. Do not SHOUT and
your question is *not* urgent (at least not to anyone else). Please do
not use txt speak or exclamation marks (!!!!).

Bad example:

Urgent: pls hlp, can't get it to work!!!!!!

This tells us nothing other than it's urgent to you and that something
isn't working. It is unlikely to even attract views, let alone answers.
If you can't get your title right, what hope do we have that you've
actually asked a coherent question in such a way that we may be able to
help.

Better example:

Installed CentOS 5, need help getting GUI to automatically start (Nvidia
GF4 MX 440).

Now we know what you've done and those who have dealt with Nvidia cards
will know that it's an issue where they can possibly help. (This also
holds for other hardware such as wireless and other ethernet cards.
Someone might ignore a subject of Wireless doesn't work but answer a
post of Atheros AR5007EG card not working if they've had experience
dealing with that particular card.)

3. Composing your question

Again, do not SHOUT and your question is *not* urgent (at least not to
anyone else). Please do not use txt speak and no excessive exclamation
marks. Do use good spelling, grammar and punctuation, and split your
post up as appropriate into separate paragraphs. We acknowledge that
although English is the preferred language of the forums, it is not
everyone's first or native language. You do not need to apologize if
English is not your native language, just do the best that you can to
clearly and concisely describe your problem.

Before posting your question, first think about what your question is.
If you don't know what your question is and how to articulate it, it is
highly unlikely anyone else will be able to provide a reply. We don't
have crystal balls & we can't read minds and make sure you actually ask
a question.

Bad example:

Q: My nic doesn't work!