-   -   amavisd-new, spamassassin and clamav (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-docs/76744-amavisd-new-spamassassin-clamav.html)

Ned Slider 04-26-2008 06:34 PM

amavisd-new, spamassassin and clamav

Hi List,

I've been working on documenting an amavisd-new, spamassassin and clamav
installation for postfix on CentOS5 with regards to writing this up for
the Wiki (with invaluable help from forum member WhatsHisName - thanks!).

I hope to make a start on a Wiki page in the next week or so, so if
anyone has any experience with this combo and would like to offer
advice, tips and proof-reading once I get going, that would be more than
welcome.

Assuming there are no objections, I'll post a link once I get started :)

Regards,

Ned

"Akemi Yagi" 04-26-2008 10:48 PM

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:34 AM, Ned Slider <ned@unixmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I've been working on documenting an amavisd-new, spamassassin and clamav
> installation for postfix on CentOS5 with regards to writing this up for the
> Wiki (with invaluable help from forum member WhatsHisName - thanks!).

WhatsHisName has been a great helper in the forums. So, what is his name? :-P

> I hope to make a start on a Wiki page in the next week or so, so if anyone
> has any experience with this combo and would like to offer advice, tips and
> proof-reading once I get going, that would be more than welcome.
>
> Assuming there are no objections, I'll post a link once I get started :)

I very much look forward to reading this article.

Akemi

Ralph Angenendt 04-28-2008 08:54 AM

Ned Slider wrote:
> I hope to make a start on a Wiki page in the next week or so, so if anyone
> has any experience with this combo and would like to offer advice, tips and
> proof-reading once I get going, that would be more than welcome.

I'd be happy to proof-read it, as we/I have been using that combo for
several years now. Or if you have any questions - go ahead and ask.

Thank you for the work you have put into documentation over the last few
weeks/months!

Cheers,

Ralph

Ned Slider 04-29-2008 12:30 AM

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

Ned Slider wrote:
I hope to make a start on a Wiki page in the next week or so, so if anyone
has any experience with this combo and would like to offer advice, tips and
proof-reading once I get going, that would be more than welcome.

I'd be happy to proof-read it, as we/I have been using that combo for
several years now. Or if you have any questions - go ahead and ask.

Thank you for the work you have put into documentation over the last few
weeks/months!

Cheers,

Ralph

Thanks Ralph :)

I've finished the main parts that I intended to cover now, just the
introduction to write plus a bit more on testing at the end, and apply a
bit of spit and polish:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix_amavisd

Perhaps you (and others) could take a look and give me your impressions.
Amavisd-new is all a bit new to me and I'm still feeling my way
around my system so your experience with it will be invaluable.

"John" 04-29-2008 04:06 AM

amavisd-new, spamassassin and clamav

>> I hope to make a start on a Wiki page in the next week or so, so if
>> anyone has any experience with this combo and would like to offer
>> advice, tips and proof-reading once I get going, that would be more than
welcome.

> I'd be happy to proof-read it, as we/I have been using that combo for
> several years now. Or if you have any questions - go ahead and ask.
>
> Thank you for the work you have put into documentation over the last
> few weeks/months!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ralph

Thanks Ralph :)

I've finished the main parts that I intended to cover now, just the
introduction to write plus a bit more on testing at the end, and apply a bit
of spit and polish:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix_amavisd

Perhaps you (and others) could take a look and give me your impressions.
Amavisd-new is all a bit new to me and I'm still feeling my way around my
system so your experience with it will be invaluable.
-------
What the Introduction going to tell us? I am currious.

Ralph Angenendt 04-29-2008 09:27 AM

Ned Slider wrote:
> I've finished the main parts that I intended to cover now, just the
> introduction to write plus a bit more on testing at the end, and apply a
> bit of spit and polish:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix_amavisd

Okay, I changed two small bits about spamassassin (on a mail scanning
gateway you really want to use rpmforge's spamassassin, as that is more
current). The rest looks okay.

What should be stressed (maybe I can get that in later today) is that
you shouldn't "bounce" mails back if you think that they are spam. There
are a few configuration variables in amavisd to control that.

Cheers,

Ralph

Karanbir Singh 04-29-2008 10:25 AM

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix_amavisd

This is actually more of an email to Ned, but replying to Ralph's email
to keep the conversation flow..

point I wanted to make is that by calling it 'postfix_amavisd' you have
closed the door for there really being much effort on adding an exim or
a sendmail section to that. So please take that postfix bit out from the
title and the url, I am sure amavisd can be setup to work with other
MTA's as well.

You can still leave a postfix section in the TOC, just move all postfix
specific bits into there, and ask for contributors to add exim /
sendmail details into their respective sections.

Just me thinking out loud.

Ned Slider 04-29-2008 10:45 AM

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

Ned Slider wrote:
I've finished the main parts that I intended to cover now, just the
introduction to write plus a bit more on testing at the end, and apply a
bit of spit and polish:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix_amavisd

Okay, I changed two small bits about spamassassin (on a mail scanning
gateway you really want to use rpmforge's spamassassin, as that is more
current). The rest looks okay.

Thanks Ralph. I haven't been able to get any sort of a real world feel
for spamassassin on my mail server as my postfix restrictions (DNSBLs)
and greylisting takes out all spam before it ever reaches spamassassin.
I have access to an unused spammy domain for testing (~600-700 spam per
day) that's currently parked as a spamtrap for uceprotect. I used this
for about a month to test the rules in the postfix restrictions Wiki guide.

What should be stressed (maybe I can get that in later today) is that
you shouldn't "bounce" mails back if you think that they are spam. There
are a few configuration variables in amavisd to control that.

I agree, if they *are* spam, sender addresses are almost certainly
forged and it only generates backscatter. Presumably that behaviour is
controlled with the following settings:

# $final_virus_destiny = D_DISCARD;
# $final_banned_destiny = D_BOUNCE; #change to D_DISCARD
# $final_spam_destiny = D_BOUNCE; #change to D_DISCARD
# $final_bad_header_destiny = D_PASS;
# $bad_header_quarantine_method = undef;

and is triggered by $sa_kill_level_deflt, ...and this doesn't affect
quarantine behaviour?

I'm also wondering about $sa_dsn_cutoff_level - so would one want to set
this to equal $sa_kill_level_deflt on the same basis, otherwise you're
no longer bouncing the message, but *are* still sending a DSN??

Ned Slider 04-29-2008 11:10 AM

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix_amavisd

This is actually more of an email to Ned, but replying to Ralph's email
to keep the conversation flow..

point I wanted to make is that by calling it 'postfix_amavisd' you have
closed the door for there really being much effort on adding an exim or
a sendmail section to that. So please take that postfix bit out from the
title and the url, I am sure amavisd can be setup to work with other
MTA's as well.

Sure, good point and I'd not considered that at all. I had purely
approached it from the angle of extending the existing postfix series of
guides, but as you say there is no reason to exclude other MTAs.

Could I ask someone (Ralph maybe) to rename the page as I'm not sure how
to do that, and maybe post the new link to this thread for the benefit
of those following the discussions.

You can still leave a postfix section in the TOC, just move all postfix
specific bits into there, and ask for contributors to add exim /
sendmail details into their respective sections.

As an interim measure we could link to the amavisd-new documentation for
other MTAs and by doing so note that it is not exclusive to postfix.
I'll give some thought on restructuring to allow for easy addition of
other MTAs into the document.

Ned Slider 04-29-2008 11:12 AM

John wrote:

What the Introduction going to tell us? I am currious.

General intro to amavisd-new, and I was going to cover how it integrates
into postfix (or other MTAs).

I was planning to ask Alain if he might be willing to do a schematic
similar to the (excellent) one he produced for the greylisting guide...
something along the lines of Figure 2 in this article maybe:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7778