Old 04-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Default amavisd-new, spamassassin and clamav

Ned Slider wrote:
> Could I ask someone (Ralph maybe) to rename the page

Sure, go ahead and ask me.

=

Ralph

Old 04-29-2008, 03:28 PM
Ned Slider

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

Ned Slider wrote:

Could I ask someone (Ralph maybe) to rename the page

Sure, go ahead and ask me.

=

Ralph

LOL, Ralph, would you be so kind as to rename that page please. I'm not
shirking my responsibilities, I just don't know how to rename an
existing page (or if I have permissions to do that).

BTW, I've restructured it slightly to allow for the inclusion of other
MTAs as per KB's suggestion.

Thanks.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Ned Slider wrote:
> Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>> Ned Slider wrote:
>>> Could I ask someone (Ralph maybe) to rename the page
>> Sure, go ahead and ask me.
>
> LOL, Ralph, would you be so kind as to rename that page please. I'm not
> shirking my responsibilities, I just don't know how to rename an existing
> page (or if I have permissions to do that).

<http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Amavisd>

We can extend the explanation in the link to that page from the HowTos
page.

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 05-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Michael Crider

This might be slightly off topic for this list, but do any of you have a
feel for how amavisd-new compares to MailScanner? I know amavisd-new is
in rpmforge repositories, and MailScanner as far as I know is not in any
standard CentOS repositories, so that certainly makes amavisd-new more
convenient. However, we have been using MailScanner since late 2006
based on a howto that was published at hughesjr.com. We recently
upgraded our server to CentOS 5, and I have been preparing a page for
the wiki documenting the installation. I know that in the past postfix
developers did not care for MailScanner because of the interface they
used, but as I understand that was fixed several years ago. A quick
google on comparisons turned up a lot of old information that probably
isn't relevant now, but I did find a couple of opinions that might be
worthwhile:
1. amavisd-new may occasionally lose a message, while MailScanner (from
my own experience) never allows a mail to be deleted from the incoming
queue until it is in the delivery queue.

2. amavisd-new processes can take a lot of memory.
Does anybody on this list have better information based on what they
have seen or read?

Thanks.
Michael

Ned Slider wrote:

Hi List,

I've been working on documenting an amavisd-new, spamassassin and
clamav installation for postfix on CentOS5 with regards to writing
this up for the Wiki (with invaluable help from forum member
WhatsHisName - thanks!).

I hope to make a start on a Wiki page in the next week or so, so if
anyone has any experience with this combo and would like to offer
advice, tips and proof-reading once I get going, that would be more
than welcome.

Assuming there are no objections, I'll post a link once I get started

Regards,

Ned

Michael Crider
Howell-Oregon Electric Cooperative
West Plains MO
http://www.hoecoop.org

believed to be clean.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Ned Slider

Michael Crider wrote:

1. amavisd-new may occasionally lose a message, while MailScanner (from
my own experience) never allows a mail to be deleted from the incoming
queue until it is in the delivery queue.

FWIW, Amavisd-new makes similar claims:

"does not lose or corrupt mail when unpredictable things happen,
including I/O errors, disk full conditions (to the extent of underlying
Perl/file-system/OS ability to detect errors), or a machine crash; the
responsibility for mail always stays with MTA"