Old 09-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Alain Reguera Delgado

Default Translation of centos-art.sh script

Hi,

Could any of you help me to localize the `centos-art.sh' script into
different languages? The infrastructure for doing it is already in place
and quite automated. All we need is that you translate strings from
English to your own language in an interface like the following:

#: trunk/Scripts/Bash/Functions/Render/Svg/svg.sh:54
msgid "Saved as"
msgstr ""

In this interface, `msgid' contains the English message we need to
translate and `msgstr` is where you put your translation. The line
beginning with # is a comment specifying the location of the English
string you are translating.

Thank you very much.

--
Alain Reguera Delgado <alain.reguera@gmail.com>

Old 09-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Alain Reguera Delgado
<alain.reguera@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could any of you help me to localize the `centos-art.sh' script into
> different languages? The infrastructure for doing it is already in place
> and quite automated. All we need is that you translate strings from
> English to your own language in an interface like the following:
>
> #: trunk/Scripts/Bash/Functions/Render/Svg/svg.sh:54
> msgid "Saved as"
> msgstr ""
>
> In this interface, `msgid' contains the English message we need to
> translate and `msgstr` is where you put your translation. The line
> beginning with # is a comment specifying the location of the English
> string you are translating.

It is very much possible that people on the -docs mailing list are not
reading the -devel list where you have posted details on the Artwork.
It will be helpful if you refer to the relevant posts, or better yet
provide more info here, so the translators can figure out what exactly
they should do to help.

Akemi

Old 09-04-2012, 03:01 AM
Alain Reguera Delgado

Akemi Yagi wrote:

> It is very much possible that people on the -docs mailing list are not
> reading the -devel list where you have posted details on the Artwork.
> It will be helpful if you refer to the relevant posts, or better yet
> provide more info here, so the translators can figure out what exactly
> they should do to help.

Akemi,

Thank you very much for responding the translation request. Here is more
information about centos-art.sh and the steps translators need to follow
in order to add their work to it.

What is the centos-art.sh script?
---------------------------------

The centos-art.sh script is a bash script, written with the intention of
standardizing most production tasks inside The CentOS Artwork Repository
(https://projects.centos.org/svn/artwork/). It also implements relation
between different work lines in order to grantee consistent results
between them.

How to translate the centos-art.sh script?

1. Download a working copy of The CentOS Artwork Repository to your
workstation. See http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork

2. Once you have a functional working copy, be sure the LANG environment
variable refers the locale information you want to contribute. For
example, when I translate the centos-art.sh script to Spanish, the LANG
environment variable on my system has the `es_ES.UTF-8' value.

3. Run the locale functionality of centos-art.sh as following:

centos-art.sh locale trunk/Scripts/Bash --update --edit
--dont-commit-changes

This command will retrieve translatable strings from all .sh files under
`trunk/Scripts/Bash' directory and will create/update the related
portable objects inside `trunk/Locales/Scripts/Bash/${LANG}/' directory
and later will open related portable objects in your favorite text
editor for you to work on content translation.

As translator, you don't need to touch the files under `trunk/Locales'
directory, the centos-art.sh script does that for you. This would help
to keep a consistent directory structure inside the repository. If you
need to organize files in a different way, let's talk about it here first.

In case you just want to translate a specific functionality, not all of
them, use the --filter option. This option accepts a regular expression
pattern as value which must match the path used to find files inside the
location you provided as argument (trunk/Scripts/Bash in this case). For
example, to translate Commons and Render functionalities only, run the
following command:

centos-art locale trunk/Scripts/Bash --update --edit
--filter='(Commons|Render)' --dont-commit-changes

In case you remove the --dont-commit-changes option from your commands,
centos-art.sh script will perform all the subversion stuff for you. So
you don't have to take care of updating your working copy to receive
changes from others or remember commands and paths to commit your own
changes.

Presently, centos-art.sh script uses the following metadata in portable
objects:

"Report-Msgid-Bugs-To: Documentation SIG <centos-docs@centos.org>
"
"Last-Translator: Documentation SIG
"

but translators can use the `Last-Translator:' field to refer their name
and e-mail address if they want ot. Changes of this information will be
recored within each commit you make up to the central repository.

Basically, this is the procedure translators need to follow in order to
contribute their work to centos-art.sh script. There is much more
translators can do inside The CentOS Artwork Repository, but let's talk
about that later, once centos-art.sh script be localized and translators
feel more familiar with centos-art.sh script and the way it operates.

In case you face any difficulty following these steps, please let me know.

Best regards,
--
Alain Reguera Delgado <alain.reguera@gmail.com>

Old 09-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Christoph Galuschka

Am 02.09.2012 18:24, schrieb Alain Reguera Delgado:
> Hi,
>
> Could any of you help me to localize the `centos-art.sh' script into
> different languages? The infrastructure for doing it is already in place
> and quite automated. All we need is that you translate strings from
> English to your own language in an interface like the following:
>
> #: trunk/Scripts/Bash/Functions/Render/Svg/svg.sh:54
> msgid "Saved as"
> msgstr ""
>
> In this interface, `msgid' contains the English message we need to
> translate and `msgstr` is where you put your translation. The line
> beginning with # is a comment specifying the location of the English
> string you are translating.
>
> Thank you very much.

Alain,

I've been trying to follow your second post to the list re translating
the artwork to - in my case - german. However I seem to fail at it.
The questions that come to mind are:
- Do I need to run "centos-art.sh prepare"? Do you have some details on
how long that script should take to run? I stoped it after 10 mins or
something like that.
- I did set LANG to de_DE.UTF-8 to reflect the new language and started
"centos-art.sh locale". However I did not get a new folder with de_DE
under trunk/Locales/Scripts/Bash/. I only found es_ES there, and that
one seems to come from the downloaded tree. Did I do something wrong?
- Also, some estimation on how long "centos-art.sh locale" is going to
run would be appreciated?

and finally, once I finish a translation, how do I commit the changes
with svn to the server?

Thanks and cheers
Christoph

Old 09-05-2012, 02:50 AM
Alain Reguera Delgado

Christoph Galuschka wrote:
> - Do I need to run "centos-art.sh prepare"?

Yes. This is the first thing you need to do after downloading the
working copy. See
http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork#head-4333cf1e4c01592360ea1a849bc937487f6c9cd4

> - Do I need to run "centos-art.sh prepare"? Do you have some details on
how long that script should take to run? I stoped it after 10 mins or
something like that.

Yes. The whole preparation process can take more than 10 minutes
certainly. For example, in a test I just made, it took near to 25
minutes to complete, this without counting the installation or
actualization of packages that you might need. The time consuming task
here is the image rendition process which creates near to 687 images.

Nevertheless, to reduce the preparation time you need to start
translating, you can skip the image rendition process all over by
running the following command instead:

~/artwork/trunk/Scripts/Bash/centos-art.sh prepare --set-environment
--packages --links --locales --manuals

and later doing:

centos-art locale trunk/Scripts/Bash --edit --dont-commit-changes

> - I did set LANG to de_DE.UTF-8 to reflect the new language and started
> "centos-art.sh locale". However I did not get a new folder with de_DE
> under trunk/Locales/Scripts/Bash/.

Yes. That's very probable when centos-art.sh is not run correctly.

> I only found es_ES there, and that
> one seems to come from the downloaded tree. Did I do something wrong?
> - Also, some estimation on how long "centos-art.sh locale" is going to
> run would be appreciated?

Here is the script output and the time it consumes to finish the task in
my workstation:

[al@orion ~]$ time centos-art locale trunk/Scripts/Bash
--dont-commit-changes --update
Actualizando
trunk/Locales/Scripts/Bash/es_ES/Functions/Commons/messages.pot
Actualizando
trunk/Locales/Scripts/Bash/es_ES/Functions/Commons/messages.po
Actualizando trunk/Locales/Scripts/Bash/es_ES/Functions/Help/messages.pot
Actualizando trunk/Locales/Scripts/Bash/es_ES/Functions/Help/messages.po
Actualizando
trunk/Locales/Scripts/Bash/es_ES/Functions/Locale/messages.pot
Actualizando
trunk/Locales/Scripts/Bash/es_ES/Functions/Locale/messages.po
Actualizando
trunk/Locales/Scripts/Bash/es_ES/Functions/Prepare/messages.pot
Actualizando
trunk/Locales/Scripts/Bash/es_ES/Functions/Prepare/messages.po
Actualizando
trunk/Locales/Scripts/Bash/es_ES/Functions/Render/messages.pot
Actualizando
trunk/Locales/Scripts/Bash/es_ES/Functions/Render/messages.po
Actualizando
trunk/Locales/Scripts/Bash/es_ES/Functions/Tuneup/messages.pot
Actualizando
trunk/Locales/Scripts/Bash/es_ES/Functions/Tuneup/messages.po
Actualizando trunk/Locales/Scripts/Bash/es_ES/centos-art.sh.po
Actualizando
trunk/Locales/Scripts/Bash/es_ES/LC_MESSAGES/centos-art.sh.mo

real 0m8.296s
user 0m2.197s
sys 0m5.453s

Note that I didn't pass the --edit option here. This option opens a text
editor for you to make translations and it will delay the whole process,
based on how much translation you need do.

> and finally, once I finish a translation, how do I commit the changes
> with svn to the server?

To commit your changes up to the central repository you need to register
a subversion account in https://projects.centos.org/trac/artwork and
request commit permission on `trunk/Locales' directory structure to
Ralph, he is the repository administrator.

TIP: If you want to save yourself some time, be sure that the username
you use in your workstation be the same you use to create your
subversion account. This way subversion won't ask for your username each
time you commit a change.

Once you have the commit access to the central repository it should be
possible for you to share your changes.

Best regards,

--
Alain Reguera Delgado <alain.reguera@gmail.com>

Old 09-05-2012, 06:05 AM
"christoph.galuschka@chello.at"

> >Christoph Galuschka wrote:

> > and finally, once I finish a translation, how do I commit the changes

> > with svn to the server?

> To commit your changes up to the central repository you need to register

> a subversion account in https://projects.centos.org/trac/artwork and

> request commit permission on `trunk/Locales' directory structure to

> Ralph, he is the repository administrator.

Thanks for explaining this

*

So last question for the time being: Do you also have the command line available to push changes via svn?

*

Thanks

Christoph

Old 09-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Alain Reguera Delgado

On 09/05/2012 02:05 AM, christoph.galuschka@chello.at wrote:

> So last question for the time being: Do you also have the command line available
> to push changes via svn?

Presently, as far as I know, the script is available for checking out
working copies only. The script is in the same situation of
translations: in order for someone to commit changes to it, the
interested person must show what exactly is interested to contribute in,
register a subversion account in the central repository and request
commit permission to repository administrators in the list.

Were you able of doing a any German translation through centos-art.sh
script?

Best regards,
--
Alain Reguera Delgado <alain.reguera@gmail.com>

Old 09-08-2012, 01:25 AM
Akemi Yagi

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Alain Reguera Delgado
<alain.reguera@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/05/2012 02:05 AM, christoph.galuschka@chello.at wrote:
>
>> So last question for the time being: Do you also have the command line available
>> to push changes via svn?
>
> Presently, as far as I know, the script is available for checking out
> working copies only. The script is in the same situation of
> translations: in order for someone to commit changes to it, the
> interested person must show what exactly is interested to contribute in,
> register a subversion account in the central repository and request
> commit permission to repository administrators in the list.
>
> Were you able of doing a any German translation through centos-art.sh
> script?

I ran 'centos-art.sh prepare' but it kept going and I finally gave up
after 10 hrs or so and had to kill it. Is there an easier way of
providing translations? If there are a set of words / phrases that
need to be translated, can you just collect them and use?

Akemi

Old 09-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Alain Reguera Delgado

On 09/07/2012 09:25 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:

> I ran 'centos-art.sh prepare' but it kept going and I finally gave up
> after 10 hrs or so and had to kill it.

Kept going in which way, please? It should take no longer than 30
minutes in the worst of cases. Could you provide some output, error,
anything else that could help me to determine in which point it is
taking that abnormal time long.

Notice that I've committed some updates to the preparation scripts
recently so it would be a good idea to update your working copy and try
again. For doing this run the following command:

svn update ${HOME}/artwork/trunk/Scripts/Bash

> Is there an easier way of
> providing translations? If there are a set of words / phrases that
> need to be translated, can you just collect them and use?

Yes, that's exactly what the script does for me and for all the
translators. Please, don't give up yet, it is too soon . Let's give it
another try to find out why the `centos-art.sh' script isn't working for
you.

Best regards,
--
Alain Reguera Delgado <alain.reguera@gmail.com>

Old 09-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 7:19 AM, Alain Reguera Delgado
<alain.reguera@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/07/2012 09:25 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>
>> I ran 'centos-art.sh prepare' but it kept going and I finally gave up
>> after 10 hrs or so and had to kill it.
>
> Kept going in which way, please? It should take no longer than 30
> minutes in the worst of cases. Could you provide some output, error,
> anything else that could help me to determine in which point it is
> taking that abnormal time long.
>
> Notice that I've committed some updates to the preparation scripts
> recently so it would be a good idea to update your working copy and try
> again. For doing this run the following command:
>
> svn update ${HOME}/artwork/trunk/Scripts/Bash
>
>> Is there an easier way of
>> providing translations? If there are a set of words / phrases that
>> need to be translated, can you just collect them and use?
>
> Yes, that's exactly what the script does for me and for all the
> translators. Please, don't give up yet, it is too soon . Let's give it
> another try to find out why the `centos-art.sh' script isn't working for
> you.

I used another VM running the .ja version of CentOS-6 and did it from
scratch. I ran 'centos-art.sh prepare' in a verbose mode. It ran
through instantly till the end of init.sh and then would not go any
further at this step:

# init.sh -- This function initiates the application's command-line
# interface. Variables defined in this function are accesible by all
# other functions. The cli function is the first script executed by
# the application command-line onces invoked.
(snip)
function init {
(snip)
}
grep '^function ' ${FILE} | cut -d' ' -f2)
grep '^function ' ${FILE} | cut -d' ' -f2)
grep '^function ' ${FILE} | cut -d' ' -f2
echo $ARG | sed "s/'/x27/g")
echo $ARG | sed "s/'/x27/g"

It is using cpu at 30-40% and I see :

2234 pts/0 S+ 24:35 /bin/bash
/home/yagi2/artwork/trunk/Scripts/Bash/centos-art.sh help

Hope this info helps you identify the problem.

Akemi