Old 07-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Christoph Galuschka

Default http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix

Am 20.07.2012 01:25, schrieb Edward Cavill:
> Hi in the wiki, using 64 without the trailing M gives an error.
>
> <code>
> The dovecot configuration file is located at /etc/dovecot.conf. The
> following lines should be added, edited or uncommented:
>
> login_process_size = 64
>
> [root@localhost etc]# /etc/init.d/dovecot start
> Starting Dovecot Imap: doveconf: Warning: NOTE: You can get a new clean
> config file with: doveconf -n > dovecot-new.conf
> doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:21:
> protocols=imaps is no longer necessary, remove it
> doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:21:
> protocols=pop3s is no longer necessary, remove it
> doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:86:
> login_process_size has been replaced by service { vsz_limit }
> doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:
> service(pop3-login): vsz_limit is too low
> </code>
>
> Adding the M after the login_process_size = resolves the issue, as can
> be seen below
>

> login_process_size = 64M
>
> [root@localhost etc]# /etc/init.d/dovecot start
> Starting Dovecot Imap: doveconf: Warning: NOTE: You can get a new clean
> config file with: doveconf -n > dovecot-new.conf
> doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:21:
> protocols=imaps is no longer necessary, remove it
> doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:21:
> protocols=pop3s is no longer necessary, remove it
> doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:86:
> login_process_size has been replaced by service { vsz_limit }
> [ OK ]
>

> Please could you update the wiki to show these changes.
> the two occurrences are at
>
> 1) "login_process_size = 64"
> 2) "the Dovecot package on x86_64 kernels requires the parameter
> "login_process_size = 64"
>

> [root@localhost etc]# uname -ams
> Linux xxxxxxxxxx 2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Dec 6 19:48:22 GMT
> 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>

> Thanks
Hi,

I'Ve added the changes - thanks for finding them.

cheers

Old 07-20-2012, 07:12 PM
Ned Slider

On 20/07/12 12:00, Christoph Galuschka wrote:
> Am 20.07.2012 01:25, schrieb Edward Cavill:
>> Hi in the wiki, using 64 without the trailing M gives an error.
>>
>> <code>
>> The dovecot configuration file is located at /etc/dovecot.conf. The
>> following lines should be added, edited or uncommented:
>>
>> login_process_size = 64
>>
>> [root@localhost etc]# /etc/init.d/dovecot start
>> Starting Dovecot Imap: doveconf: Warning: NOTE: You can get a new clean
>> config file with: doveconf -n> dovecot-new.conf
>> doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:21:
>> protocols=imaps is no longer necessary, remove it
>> doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:21:
>> protocols=pop3s is no longer necessary, remove it
>> doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:86:
>> login_process_size has been replaced by service { vsz_limit }
>> doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:
>> service(pop3-login): vsz_limit is too low
>> </code>
>>
>> Adding the M after the login_process_size = resolves the issue, as can
>> be seen below
>>

>> login_process_size = 64M
>>
>> [root@localhost etc]# /etc/init.d/dovecot start
>> Starting Dovecot Imap: doveconf: Warning: NOTE: You can get a new clean
>> config file with: doveconf -n> dovecot-new.conf
>> doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:21:
>> protocols=imaps is no longer necessary, remove it
>> doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:21:
>> protocols=pop3s is no longer necessary, remove it
>> doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:86:
>> login_process_size has been replaced by service { vsz_limit }
>> [ OK ]
>>

>> Please could you update the wiki to show these changes.
>> the two occurrences are at
>>
>> 1) "login_process_size = 64"
>> 2) "the Dovecot package on x86_64 kernels requires the parameter
>> "login_process_size = 64"
>>

>> [root@localhost etc]# uname -ams
>> Linux xxxxxxxxxx 2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Dec 6 19:48:22 GMT
>> 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>

>> Thanks
> Hi,
>
> I'Ve added the changes - thanks for finding them.
>
> cheers

One issue I see here is that the original howto was written for CentOS-5
with dovecot 1.x.

The OP here is clearly using CentOS-6, which uses dovecot 2.x and no
surprises for guessing that there are a few incompatibilities between
the config files for dovecot 1 and 2.

Personally, I'd suggest forking the original article and maintaining
separate versions for CentOS-5 and CentOS-6, or have separate sections
within the article for CentOS-5 and CentOS-6 where they differ.

To the best of my knowledge this list never did agree a mechanism for
handling documentation differences between product versions. The danger
is that if we keep editing changes for CentOS-6 into docs for CentOS-5
we will end up with broken useless docs.

How do others feel this type of situation should best be handled?

Old 07-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Phil Schaffner

Ned Slider wrote on 07/20/2012 03:12 PM:
> One issue I see here is that the original howto was written for CentOS-5
> with dovecot 1.x.
>
> The OP here is clearly using CentOS-6, which uses dovecot 2.x and no
> surprises for guessing that there are a few incompatibilities between
> the config files for dovecot 1 and 2.
>
> Personally, I'd suggest forking the original article and maintaining
> separate versions for CentOS-5 and CentOS-6, or have separate sections
> within the article for CentOS-5 and CentOS-6 where they differ.
>
> To the best of my knowledge this list never did agree a mechanism for
> handling documentation differences between product versions. The danger
> is that if we keep editing changes for CentOS-6 into docs for CentOS-5
> we will end up with broken useless docs.
>
> How do others feel this type of situation should best be handled?

I'd say it should be decided on a case-by-case basis, but perhaps some
general guidelines would be helpful. If differences can be easily
handled by a note here and there then a separate page is probably not
justified. If differences are substantial between major releases, then
a fork of a new page for the later release may be the best approach.

Phil

Old 07-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Manuel Wolfshant

On 07/20/2012 11:07 PM, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> Ned Slider wrote on 07/20/2012 03:12 PM:
>> One issue I see here is that the original howto was written for CentOS-5
>> with dovecot 1.x.
>>
>> The OP here is clearly using CentOS-6, which uses dovecot 2.x and no
>> surprises for guessing that there are a few incompatibilities between
>> the config files for dovecot 1 and 2.
>>
>> Personally, I'd suggest forking the original article and maintaining
>> separate versions for CentOS-5 and CentOS-6, or have separate sections
>> within the article for CentOS-5 and CentOS-6 where they differ.
>>
>> To the best of my knowledge this list never did agree a mechanism for
>> handling documentation differences between product versions. The danger
>> is that if we keep editing changes for CentOS-6 into docs for CentOS-5
>> we will end up with broken useless docs.
>>
>> How do others feel this type of situation should best be handled?
> I'd say it should be decided on a case-by-case basis, but perhaps some
> general guidelines would be helpful. If differences can be easily
> handled by a note here and there then a separate page is probably not
> justified. If differences are substantial between major releases, then
> a fork of a new page for the later release may be the best approach.
>
> Phil
+1 for Phil's approach

Manuel

Old 07-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Christoph Galuschka

Am 20.07.2012 22:07, schrieb Phil Schaffner:
> Ned Slider wrote on 07/20/2012 03:12 PM:
>> One issue I see here is that the original howto was written for CentOS-5
>> with dovecot 1.x.
>>
>> The OP here is clearly using CentOS-6, which uses dovecot 2.x and no
>> surprises for guessing that there are a few incompatibilities between
>> the config files for dovecot 1 and 2.
>>
>> Personally, I'd suggest forking the original article and maintaining
>> separate versions for CentOS-5 and CentOS-6, or have separate sections
>> within the article for CentOS-5 and CentOS-6 where they differ.
>>
>> To the best of my knowledge this list never did agree a mechanism for
>> handling documentation differences between product versions. The danger
>> is that if we keep editing changes for CentOS-6 into docs for CentOS-5
>> we will end up with broken useless docs.
>>
>> How do others feel this type of situation should best be handled?
>
> I'd say it should be decided on a case-by-case basis, but perhaps some
> general guidelines would be helpful. If differences can be easily
> handled by a note here and there then a separate page is probably not
> justified. If differences are substantial between major releases, then
> a fork of a new page for the later release may be the best approach.
>
> Phil

First: Sorry for me not paying attention when editing the articel.
second: +1 to the approach suggested by Phil

Christoph