Old 04-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Max Hetrick

Default Diskless Clients

Old 04-21-2008, 11:01 PM
John

On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 17:11 -0400, Max Hetrick wrote:
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

Old 04-22-2008, 01:19 AM
Max Hetrick

Old 05-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Karanbir Singh

Karanbir Singh wrote:

John wrote:
Matt has offered to help us setup and then maintain the cobbler
packages ( along with the couple of deps that it needs ). So expect
some action on that front in the next few days. It will need to still
go via the whole testing -> stable route, but I will do my best to
push it along.

Thanks Karan! Will be looking forward to it. I was thinking that this
coming week to pull the cobbler setup from the testing repo and see how
things go from there.

cool. That should work - the basic workflow etc from cobbler 0.6.x that
we have in testing now, to 0.8.x ( the present upstream stable ) is
unchanged. Most of the new work has been on requirements for large
install base ( > 250 machines ) and the sort of things they want / need.

cobbler 0.8.x is now in the testing repos, pending feedback it will move
to the .centos.org repo's ( should not be more than a few weeks )

- KB

Old 05-01-2008, 07:12 PM
John

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 16:37 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> cobbler 0.8.x is now in the testing repos, pending feedback it will move
> to the .centos.org repo's ( should not be more than a few weeks )
>
> - KB
Karan and Matt,

Todays feedback for cobbler. On a fresh OS install all updates were done
first. Don yum install cobbler from testing and I get a makefile
problem. Here's the error...

Transaction Check Error:
file /usr/lib/python2.4/config/Makefile from install of
python-devel-2.4.3-19.el5 conflicts with file from package
python-2.4.3-19.el5

I wonder why this would be? And if anyone else is seeing the same issue.
Alternatively I could do rpm -i --force the install.

rpm -q python-devel
package python-devel is not installed

rpm -q python
python-2.4.3-19.el5

~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

Old 05-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Karanbir Singh

John wrote:

Todays feedback for cobbler. On a fresh OS install all updates were done
first. Don yum install cobbler from testing and I get a makefile
problem. Here's the error...

Transaction Check Error:
file /usr/lib/python2.4/config/Makefile from install of
python-devel-2.4.3-19.el5 conflicts with file from package
python-2.4.3-19.el5

I wonder why this would be? And if anyone else is seeing the same issue.
Alternatively I could do rpm -i --force the install.

Firstly, why do you need python-devel for cobbler ?

secondly, This isnt really a s/w support list - lets keep the content to
stuff that is pertinent to the wiki and docs

-KB

Old 05-01-2008, 11:26 PM
John

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 21:14 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> John wrote:
> > Todays feedback for cobbler. On a fresh OS install all updates were done
> > first. Don yum install cobbler from testing and I get a makefile
> > problem. Here's the error...
> >
> > Transaction Check Error:
> > file /usr/lib/python2.4/config/Makefile from install of
> > python-devel-2.4.3-19.el5 conflicts with file from package
> > python-2.4.3-19.el5
> >
> > I wonder why this would be? And if anyone else is seeing the same issue.
> > Alternatively I could do rpm -i --force the install.
>
> Firstly, why do you need python-devel for cobbler ?

It's a required dependancy.

yum deplist cobbler
Finding dependencies:
Setting up repositories
extras 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB
00:00
base 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB
00:00
updates 100% |=========================| 951 B
00:00
c5-testing 100% |=========================| 951 B
00:00
addons 100% |=========================| 951 B
00:00
package: cobbler.noarch 0.6.0-1
dependency: python(abi) = 2.4
provider: python.i386 2.4.3-19.el5
dependency: yum-utils
provider: yum-utils.noarch 1.0.4-3.el5.centos.2
dependency: /sbin/service
provider: initscripts.i386 8.45.17.EL-1.el5.centos.1
dependency: httpd
provider: httpd.i386 2.2.3-11.el5.centos
provider: httpd.i386 2.2.3-11.el5_1.centos.3
dependency: config(cobbler) = 0.6.0-1
provider: cobbler.noarch 0.6.0-1
dependency: createrepo
provider: createrepo.noarch 0.4.4-2.fc6
dependency: tftp-server
provider: tftp-server.i386 0.42-3.1.el5.centos
dependency: python-devel
provider: python-devel.i386 2.4.3-19.el5
dependency: /usr/bin/python
provider: python.i386 2.4.3-19.el5
dependency: python >= 2.3
provider: python.i386 2.4.3-19.el5
dependency: /sbin/chkconfig
provider: chkconfig.i386 1.3.30.1-1
dependency: mod_python
provider: mod_python.i386 3.2.8-3.1
dependency: rhpl
provider: rhpl.i386 0.194.1-1
dependency: /usr/bin/env
provider: coreutils.i386 5.97-12.1.el5
dependency: /bin/sh
provider: bash.i386 3.1-16.1
dependency: python-cheetah
provider: python-cheetah.i386 2.0-0.2.rc7.el5.centos
provider: python-cheetah.i386 0.9.18-2
provider: python-cheetah.i386 2.0-1.el5.centos
package: cobbler.noarch 0.8.3-3.el5.centos
dependency: /sbin/service
provider: initscripts.i386 8.45.17.EL-1.el5.centos.1
dependency: createrepo
provider: createrepo.noarch 0.4.4-2.fc6
dependency: tftp-server
provider: tftp-server.i386 0.42-3.1.el5.centos
dependency: python-devel <---------------------------------------
provider: python-devel.i386 2.4.3-19.el5 <------------------------
dependency: httpd
provider: httpd.i386 2.2.3-11.el5.centos
provider: httpd.i386 2.2.3-11.el5_1.centos.3
dependency: rsync
provider: rsync.i386 2.6.8-3.1
dependency: /sbin/chkconfig
provider: chkconfig.i386 1.3.30.1-1
dependency: mod_python
provider: mod_python.i386 3.2.8-3.1
dependency: rhpl
provider: rhpl.i386 0.194.1-1
dependency: python >= 2.3
provider: python.i386 2.4.3-19.el5
dependency: /bin/sh
provider: bash.i386 3.1-16.1
dependency: python-cheetah
provider: python-cheetah.i386 2.0-0.2.rc7.el5.centos
provider: python-cheetah.i386 0.9.18-2
provider: python-cheetah.i386 2.0-1.el5.centos
package: cobbler.noarch 0.4.8-1.el5.centos
dependency: python(abi) = 2.4
provider: python.i386 2.4.3-19.el5
dependency: yum-utils
provider: yum-utils.noarch 1.0.4-3.el5.centos.2
dependency: /sbin/service
provider: initscripts.i386 8.45.17.EL-1.el5.centos.1
dependency: httpd
provider: httpd.i386 2.2.3-11.el5.centos
provider: httpd.i386 2.2.3-11.el5_1.centos.3
dependency: createrepo
provider: createrepo.noarch 0.4.4-2.fc6
dependency: tftp-server
provider: tftp-server.i386 0.42-3.1.el5.centos
dependency: python-devel
provider: python-devel.i386 2.4.3-19.el5
dependency: /usr/bin/python
provider: python.i386 2.4.3-19.el5
dependency: config(cobbler) = 0.4.8-1.el5.centos
provider: cobbler.noarch 0.4.8-1.el5.centos
dependency: /sbin/chkconfig
provider: chkconfig.i386 1.3.30.1-1
dependency: mod_python
provider: mod_python.i386 3.2.8-3.1
dependency: python >= 2.3
provider: python.i386 2.4.3-19.el5
dependency: /bin/sh
provider: bash.i386 3.1-16.1
dependency: python-cheetah
provider: python-cheetah.i386 2.0-0.2.rc7.el5.centos
provider: python-cheetah.i386 0.9.18-2
provider: python-cheetah.i386 2.0-1.el5.centos
package: cobbler.noarch 0.4.7-5
[...]
dependency: config(cobbler) = 0.4.7-5
provider: cobbler.noarch 0.4.7-5
dependency: /bin/sh
provider: bash.i386 3.1-16.1
dependency: python-cheetah
provider: python-cheetah.i386 2.0-0.2.rc7.el5.centos
provider: python-cheetah.i386 0.9.18-2
provider: python-cheetah.i386 2.0-1.el5.centos

> secondly, This isnt really a s/w support list - lets keep the content to
> stuff that is pertinent to the wiki and docs

Maybe you need to talk to Ralph about that? He said keep him updated on
the subject at hand. I thought it was a list for the wiki articles.
Apparently I have come to the wrong place. As this was to be a
continuation to:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/DisklessClients . The author had already
agreed to add it to it or provide a link to on the wiki. My view is
that, it is pertinent to the wiki. Do you think I need to post this in
the regular centos list or where do I need to head to? I really don't
need support for it as I will eventually get it rolling.

>From my understanding there's no feed back on it, little if none. One
user had posted saying it would not work and he had installed it in a
Virtual Machine Configuration.

So let me know what I need to here. Testing Repo has changed since last
week, python was in it then and now it is not. I am pretty sure it was,
but I may be wrong....

> -KB
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079