FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS Docs

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-17-2008, 01:25 PM
John
 
Default Diskless Clients

On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 17:25 -0400, Max Hetrick wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Max Hetrick wrote:
>
> > I'll test it out and make the appropriate changes within the next few days.
>
> John,
>
> After getting things to work, I ran into a kernel panic problem when
> trying to boot up.
>
> I found this link that tried to get things taken care of to work, but I
> was unsuccessful. It keeps running into a kernel panic during boot.
>
> http://www-theorie.physik.unizh.ch/~dpotter/howto/diskless
>
> Let me know if you've been able to discover anything. I'm guessing this
> is too much of a PITA to do on 5 until RHEL gets the tools corrected,
> especially whenever you can easily get it working with 4.6 without much
> effort.

Will. know something here in a few hours. If the Clients want boot then
I will try the patches as I *have* to have this to work on v5. Only
other option is Cobbler,which is prolly going to replace net-boot. It is
source only. I would however like to know if it will make it to the cent
fast track repo.

The only part of this that would be a pain is adding the patches as all
the other is the same as v4.


>
> Regards,
> Max
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (GNU/Linux)
>
> iD8DBQFIBm6sIXSX/6LmsXkRAjOoAJ4/Jr2mwfgxTi3CZOfVKozY2UebQACfTCCY
> rn4quE4FIoRIXarAoHki7QM=
> =yO1b
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS-docs mailing list
> CentOS-docs@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
--
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 04-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Max Hetrick
 
Default Diskless Clients

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

John wrote:

>> Will. know something here in a few hours. If the Clients want boot then
>> I will try the patches as I *have* to have this to work on v5. Only
>> other option is Cobbler,which is prolly going to replace net-boot. It is
>> source only. I would however like to know if it will make it to the cent
>> fast track repo.

Ok. Just let me know what you discover and/or what needs added to the
docs to make it work. I followed the patches on that link, so perhaps
one of those wasn't correct. Try the patches and we'll see what happens
for you.

Thanks, John.

Regards,
Max
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFIB1XhIXSX/6LmsXkRAmU3AJ4hT2U8vG0wZz9cJ4NvePQo263MAgCfdqmN
6PtukmOitoOie2qOIzL5dcs=
=E3ce
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 04-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Karanbir Singh
 
Default Diskless Clients

John wrote:
>> This is not compatable with CentOS 5...
>> # yum install system-config-netboot
>> # system-config-netboot
>
There will be no system-config-netboot in CentOS5. However, there were
plans to get cobbler into the centos-extras's repo so that people can
start using that instead.

Upstream has indicated that 5.4 might see a cobbler in the distro
itself, 5.3 maybe but unlikely.

--
Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ : 2522219@icq
_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 04-17-2008, 03:12 PM
John
 
Default Diskless Clients

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 15:37 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> John wrote:
> >> This is not compatable with CentOS 5...
> >> # yum install system-config-netboot
> >> # system-config-netboot
> >
> There will be no system-config-netboot in CentOS5. However, there were
> plans to get cobbler into the centos-extras's repo so that people can
> start using that instead.

Karan, do you know of a date in question it may be in the extras-repo
for centos 5 and > and please all the deps required?

>
> Upstream has indicated that 5.4 might see a cobbler in the distro
> itself, 5.3 maybe but unlikely.
>
--
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 04-17-2008, 11:35 PM
Karanbir Singh
 
Default Diskless Clients

John wrote:

There will be no system-config-netboot in CentOS5. However, there were
plans to get cobbler into the centos-extras's repo so that people can
start using that instead.


Karan, do you know of a date in question it may be in the extras-repo
for centos 5 and > and please all the deps required?


No reason why it cant happen pretty much right away. I know there are
quite a few people who used cobbler from the present testing repo, but
never bothered to come back with good / bad reports.


Let me look into this, if its not in the mirror.centos.org repo in the
next week, please feel free to heckle me.


--
Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ : 2522219@icq
_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 04-17-2008, 11:51 PM
John
 
Default Diskless Clients

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 00:35 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> John wrote:
> >> There will be no system-config-netboot in CentOS5. However, there were
> >> plans to get cobbler into the centos-extras's repo so that people can
> >> start using that instead.
> >
> > Karan, do you know of a date in question it may be in the extras-repo
> > for centos 5 and > and please all the deps required?
>
> No reason why it cant happen pretty much right away. I know there are
> quite a few people who used cobbler from the present testing repo, but
> never bothered to come back with good / bad reports.
>
> Let me look into this, if its not in the mirror.centos.org repo in the
> next week, please feel free to heckle me.
>
I'm not the kind to forget things. You will be the first to know if it
does work. I have a client that strictly wants diskless clients off of
CentOS 5. It kinda looking really bad for the netboot package working on
centos 5. Keep me posted on it please.



--
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 04-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Karanbir Singh
 
Default Diskless Clients

John wrote:

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 00:35 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:

John wrote:

There will be no system-config-netboot in CentOS5. However, there were
plans to get cobbler into the centos-extras's repo so that people can
start using that instead.

Karan, do you know of a date in question it may be in the extras-repo
for centos 5 and > and please all the deps required?
No reason why it cant happen pretty much right away. I know there are
quite a few people who used cobbler from the present testing repo, but
never bothered to come back with good / bad reports.


Let me look into this, if its not in the mirror.centos.org repo in the
next week, please feel free to heckle me.



I'm not the kind to forget things. You will be the first to know if it
does work. I have a client that strictly wants diskless clients off of
CentOS 5. It kinda looking really bad for the netboot package working on
centos 5. Keep me posted on it please.



Matt has offered to help us setup and then maintain the cobbler packages ( along
with the couple of deps that it needs ). So expect some action on that front in
the next few days. It will need to still go via the whole testing -> stable
route, but I will do my best to push it along.



--
Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ : 2522219@icq
_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 04-19-2008, 01:59 AM
John
 
Default Diskless Clients

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 22:04 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> John wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 00:35 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> >> John wrote:
> >>>> There will be no system-config-netboot in CentOS5. However, there were
> >>>> plans to get cobbler into the centos-extras's repo so that people can
> >>>> start using that instead.
> >>> Karan, do you know of a date in question it may be in the extras-repo
> >>> for centos 5 and > and please all the deps required?
> >> No reason why it cant happen pretty much right away. I know there are
> >> quite a few people who used cobbler from the present testing repo, but
> >> never bothered to come back with good / bad reports.
> >>
> >> Let me look into this, if its not in the mirror.centos.org repo in the
> >> next week, please feel free to heckle me.
> >>
> > I'm not the kind to forget things. You will be the first to know if it
> > does work. I have a client that strictly wants diskless clients off of
> > CentOS 5. It kinda looking really bad for the netboot package working on
> > centos 5. Keep me posted on it please.
> >
>
> Matt has offered to help us setup and then maintain the cobbler packages ( along
> with the couple of deps that it needs ). So expect some action on that front in
> the next few days. It will need to still go via the whole testing -> stable
> route, but I will do my best to push it along.

Thanks Karan! Will be looking forward to it. I was thinking that this
coming week to pull the cobbler setup from the testing repo and see how
things go from there.

>
>
--
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 04-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Karanbir Singh
 
Default Diskless Clients

John wrote:
Matt has offered to help us setup and then maintain the cobbler packages ( along
with the couple of deps that it needs ). So expect some action on that front in
the next few days. It will need to still go via the whole testing -> stable
route, but I will do my best to push it along.


Thanks Karan! Will be looking forward to it. I was thinking that this
coming week to pull the cobbler setup from the testing repo and see how
things go from there.



cool. That should work - the basic workflow etc from cobbler 0.6.x that we have
in testing now, to 0.8.x ( the present upstream stable ) is unchanged. Most of
the new work has been on requirements for large install base ( > 250 machines )
and the sort of things they want / need.




--
Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ : 2522219@icq
_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 04-21-2008, 09:00 PM
John
 
Default Diskless Clients

> Let me know if you've been able to discover anything. I'm guessing this
> is too much of a PITA to do on 5 until RHEL gets the tools corrected,
> especially whenever you can easily get it working with 4.6 without much
> effort.
>
> Regards,
> Max
Max,

I think the best solution for right now is to take off the CentOS 5. In
the mean time I'll be testing Cobbler out from the Testing repo this
week. Perhaps maybe a section could be written on the Wiki for using
cobbler and you could provide a link to it from yours. Example: Please
see this link here for CentOS 5 Diskless Installs. That is when cobbler
makes it to the extra repo. Any ideas on this?

In my opinion I can't provide an application to a client in real life
that requires more Hacks than the law allows. In reality they left it
out for a good reason. There's tons of changes between 4 and 5.

--
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:13 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org