-   -   Skype's no-redistribution policy (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-docs/676044-skypes-no-redistribution-policy.html)

Yves Bellefeuille 06-23-2012 01:36 AM

Skype's no-redistribution policy

Hello:

Skype for Linux version 4 has recently been released. An RPM package has
been made, and it's mentioned in the Wiki:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Skype#head-
a08dbc518378653842007a2eec37bc32e13c0bd0

However, Microsoft claims to prohibit redistribution of Skype
(http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/legal/terms/tou/ , subsection 4.2).

My feeling is that the Wiki shouldn't mention this RPM, but I thought I
shouldn't simply delete this part of the Wiki before asking here.

Yves

--
Yves Bellefeuille <yan@storm.ca>
"La Esperanta Civito ne rifuzas anticipe la kunlaboron de erarintoj, se

Akemi Yagi 06-23-2012 01:42 AM

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 6:36 PM, Yves Bellefeuille <yan@storm.ca> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Skype for Linux version 4 has recently been released. An RPM package has
> been made, and it's mentioned in the Wiki:
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Skype#head-
> a08dbc518378653842007a2eec37bc32e13c0bd0
>
> However, Microsoft claims to prohibit redistribution of Skype
> (http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/legal/terms/tou/ , subsection 4.2).
>
> My feeling is that the Wiki shouldn't mention this RPM, but I thought I
> shouldn't simply delete this part of the Wiki before asking here.

Thanks for the note. I have reverted the change. In this case, I think
we should apply the "guilty until proven innocent" rule.

Akemi

Nick Sklav 06-23-2012 03:06 AM

On Fri, 2012-06-22 at 21:36 -0400, Yves Bellefeuille wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Skype for Linux version 4 has recently been released. An RPM package has
> been made, and it's mentioned in the Wiki:
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Skype#head-
> a08dbc518378653842007a2eec37bc32e13c0bd0
>
> However, Microsoft claims to prohibit redistribution of Skype
> (http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/legal/terms/tou/ , subsection 4.2).
>
> My feeling is that the Wiki shouldn't mention this RPM, but I thought I
> shouldn't simply delete this part of the Wiki before asking here.
>
> Yves

Well since we can link to it, it should still be mentioned as many
people would like to know they can use it if needed. It is not like we
are distributing it, thus the new change should not affect it being in
the wiki.

Karanbir Singh 06-23-2012 11:47 AM

Skype's no-redistribution policy

Hi,

On 06/23/2012 02:36 AM, Yves Bellefeuille wrote:
> However, Microsoft claims to prohibit redistribution of Skype
> (http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/legal/terms/tou/ , subsection 4.2).

Is this different from their previous policy ?

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax

Manuel Wolfshant 06-23-2012 12:23 PM

On 06/23/2012 02:47 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 06/23/2012 02:36 AM, Yves Bellefeuille wrote:
>> However, Microsoft claims to prohibit redistribution of Skype
>> (http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/legal/terms/tou/ , subsection 4.2).
> Is this different from their previous policy ?

I've read all the page in full once and subsection 4.2 three times and I
still do not see anything prohibiting us to send people to the rpm. By
mere saying "You can download from..." we are NOT redistributing.

Yves Bellefeuille 06-23-2012 11:24 PM

On Saturday 23 June 2012, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

> Is this different from their previous policy ?

The wording was the same on 23 June 2011, according to
http://web.archive.org/

The reference to the RPM package was only recently added to the Wiki, if
that's what you mean. So what's changed isn't Skype's policy, but the
Wiki's content.

Yves