Old 06-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Yves Bellefeuille

Default Format for giving examples of commands

Hello,

Is there a standard format for quoting examples of commands to be
entered by the user?

I've given the following example commands:

cd /tmp
wget http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-beta-static
cd /opt
tar xjvf /tmp/skype_static-4.0.0.7.tar.bz2
rm /tmp/skype_static-4.0.0.7.tar.bz2
ln -s skype_staticQT-4.0.0.7 skype

Someone changed them to add prompts:

[root@host]# cd /tmp
[root@host]# wget http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-beta-static
[root@host]# cd /opt
[root@host]# tar xjvf /tmp/skype_static-4.0.0.7.tar.bz2
[root@host]# rm /tmp/skype_static-4.0.0.7.tar.bz2
[root@host]# ln -s skype_staticQT-4.0.0.7 skype

I think my way is better, since the user can simply copy and paste the
entire example into a terminal. Conversely, with a prompt, there's no
chance that the example will be confused with a program listing, but I
don't think that's likely to happen.

Is either format preferred?

Yves

--
Yves Bellefeuille <yan@storm.ca>
"La Esperanta Civito ne rifuzas anticipe la kunlaboron de erarintoj, se